17 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 03:46 PM

The lane was partly dry with a lot of ruts on the sides where snow melted. Today it was in the high 30's so I tried to dress it down some.

There is still some frost in the ground but this will help some. There is a lot of gravel in the hard pack and I eventually will have to come up with a scarifier of some sort  to bring it up. My hope is to reclaim enough I won't have to buy gravel this year.

I did this with the rear blade and followed up with dragging with a harrow after.

lane3-23-13_zpsa754d12e.jpg

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 23, 2013 - 03:48 PM.

• Gtractor, KennyP, bgkid2966 and 1 other said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 03:59 PM

You did an oustanding job.

Dick

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Looks really good!

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Nice job!  If you want to rescue some gravel from deep in the ground, you need one of those gravel things that digs down and loosens up the gravel.  It's like a grader or some sort.  I used one on a lane that looked like pure hard pan dirt, although the owner assured me he dumped gravel on it yearly.  A few hours back and forth with that creature, and he had a loose gravel road.  It was amazing!

Ben W.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 07:47 PM

That's looking good, JD!

#6 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 07:49 PM

I would say that looks awful nice too. That's a long stretch to maintain, I don't blame you for trying to avoid buying gravel for it, lots of $$$

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Nice job!  If you want to rescue some gravel from deep in the ground, you need one of those gravel things that digs down and loosens up the gravel.  It's like a grader or some sort.  I used one on a lane that looked like pure hard pan dirt, although the owner assured me he dumped gravel on it yearly.  A few hours back and forth with that creature, and he had a loose gravel road.  It was amazing!

Ben W.

Ben would it look like the landplane in post 4 of this thread?  Another interesting gizmo I found is in Post 9

Well for some reason the link is not pasting, It's the Box Blade Thread down a little on this page.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 23, 2013 - 07:55 PM.

• superaben said thank you

#8 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 07:57 PM

Nice job there JD.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 07:59 PM

I would say that looks awful nice too. That's a long stretch to maintain, I don't blame you for trying to avoid buying gravel for it, lots of $$$

Yes the wife say's it's 1/4 mile, I think it is closer to 3/8ths mile    It's not going to lok like that long, it's snowing and they say we will get 3-4" tonight and another 2" tomorrow.  I have given up on plans to plant potatoes Good Friday. :wave:

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 23, 2013 - 08:02 PM.

• Michiganmobileman said thank you

#10 xshooter OFFLINE  

xshooter

• Member No: 2325
  • 34 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 11:06 PM

JD

Looks like you did a good job getting the lane.

I make my living hauling rock and grading lanes, have been doing it for 35+ years.

I can't tell from the pictures do you have a crown on the road? If not next time you grade you should. Water is the #1 enemy of rock roads and it has to get off the road and into the ditch.

If you were my customer and you asked my opinion of what to do with your lane I would say to keep touching it up until the frost goes out and the ground firms up. I wouldn't try to reclaim the rock that is buried you need that for a base.

Although you hope that you don't have to buy any rock from what I see in the picture you really should. There is enough dirt showing that it will get worse as time goes by and you will have a major bill to get it back in shape. Just like regular maintenance on your GT's.

Just a thin coat of about 2" of 1" minus roadstone. Any deeper than that and you will get stutter bumps.

Just my 2 cents

• JD DANNELS and superaben have said thanks

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:08 AM

Ben would it look like the landplane in post 4 of this thread?  Another interesting gizmo I found is in Post 9

Well for some reason the link is not pasting, It's the Box Blade Thread down a little on this page.

Landplane is probably the closest.  I can't find an exact picture of what I'm remembering.  This is close though:

http://www.everythin...land-grader.htm

The main difference was that the one I used had ripper teeth on the front. 

Ben W.

#12 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 11:35 AM

Sounds like a scarifier Ben. http://www.rankineqc.../rankinrbse.jpg You did a good job JD. I would say either a heavy packed stone or loose gravel would be a good idea. Plus a ditch along the side for water, so you don't encounter water on the lane.

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 01:18 PM

JD

Looks like you did a good job getting the lane.

I make my living hauling rock and grading lanes, have been doing it for 35+ years.

I can't tell from the pictures do you have a crown on the road? If not next time you grade you should. Water is the #1 enemy of rock roads and it has to get off the road and into the ditch.

If you were my customer and you asked my opinion of what to do with your lane I would say to keep touching it up until the frost goes out and the ground firms up. I wouldn't try to reclaim the rock that is buried you need that for a base.

Although you hope that you don't have to buy any rock from what I see in the picture you really should. There is enough dirt showing that it will get worse as time goes by and you will have a major bill to get it back in shape. Just like regular maintenance on your GT's.

Just a thin coat of about 2" of 1" minus roadstone. Any deeper than that and you will get stutter bumps.

Just my 2 cents

Yes there id a crown to the road. It kind of waunders left and right of the centerline based on which side is lower.  I set the angle of the blade and side pitch by adjusting the right lift arm, then drive out in one direction and back along the other side so I don't have to change blade angle after each pass.

#14 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 01:31 PM

Looks pretty good now.  Nice looking countryside there.

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yes there id a crown to the road. It kind of waunders left and right of the centerline based on which side is lower.  I set the angle of the blade and side pitch by adjusting the right lift arm, then drive out in one direction and back along the other side so I don't have to change blade angle after each pass.

Yep, that's how it's done.  You might consider using a plow if you want to really emphasize the ditches, or you could just angle your scraper further.  I warn you, though, a tractor can tear up a scraper that is being overtaxed (How do I know ? LOL)