#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 12:55 PM

I have a 1 ton chain fall that i want to put on a track. As I get older it is harder and harder to to move things around in the garage. I have a 30' X 40' garage that will eventually have a 14' X 26' wood shop in one corner. that will leave me with a L shaped space of 40' X 15' to 30' X 14' . I would like to make a track on a curve from the back part to the front garage door so I can slide the chain fall from the back to front. Looking for ideas other than an I beam ( that would be way to expensive) to acomplish this. I thought of Barn Door track but not sure of the amount of weight it would carry. Any Ideas would be appreciated.  

• HDWildBill said thank you

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 01:07 PM

I would also like to do something along the same lines in my shop but not quite sure how to accomplish this.  So it will be interesting to see some idea's.  One time I was looking at the electric hoist's at HF and saw one that would slide over pipe but again not sure about the weight restrictions.  Thanks for posting.

• hamman said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 01:09 PM

UniStrut makes a overhead trolley system that you can add trolleys to for more weight. Their single trolley is rated at 600lbs..

Here's a link,

http://store.eberlir...rolley_Broc.pdf

• hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 01:28 PM

I would be looking for a local salvage yard that may have "used" I-beam, 1 ton overhead is something to worry about.

Another idea is a portable gantry crane, like the link below.

http://www.northernt...CFUWd4AodF2EAsg

• hamman said thank you

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 01:39 PM

I miss read your post and thought you said 1000lbs. I would have concerns about the structure of the garage supporting a 1 ton.  I would really want to make sure the truss system was designed for that kind of load.

• hamman said thank you

#6 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 03:04 PM

John, Texas, I was looking at the trolly at Northern but, I have a crushed limestone floor throughout the garage. It wouldn't roll very well. I had a chance to buy one for $ 50.00 but was stupid and didn't. I have used my chain falls to remove and install a engine in an Allis Chalmers WC and it (trusses) held well. Once I get the room built along the east side of the garage I will also have that wall to take a small part of the load. I don't think I will lift anything along the lines of a ton but I mostly want it to pick up a GT to work on or move some of the heavier implements I have so I can get them on the GTs easier. As I said I am getting older and since the cancer I have lost a lot of muscle tone. I am going to check out the unistrut when I get to town and see what it will hold (for weight) and what it cost. I saw some used 3" I Beam at a scrap yard a year ago and he had a curve trolly and all. All I would of had to do was figure how to hold it to the ceiling. It was almost perfect for length of what I needed. He wanted over a thousand for it. I said thanks but no thanks. I know he didn't pay that much for it. Thanks. Roger. 

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,501 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 03:20 PM

I used two 6" channel irons back to back with straps welded in between them. These straps extended above the top of the channels and acted as anchor points. I'm only using a 1/2 ton hoist and will restrict the loading to that point. I would think that most any fab shop could bend the channels to accommodate your changing directions. You can usually pick these up used at metal recycling centers. ][          

Edited by Cvans, March 23, 2013 - 03:22 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and hamman have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Two ton falling is a very serious matter!  Like any serious structure the foundation is the most important part. Things simply don't stand without a base.   You would need to do some serious bridging or the load will pull down the trusses.  I was involved in hanging 12 ton bridge hoists in the factory and  that required standards coming down from the ceiling every 8 ft and supports welded to the upright 12" I beams. then the trolleys ran om 10" Ibeams bolted to the standards.   I would reccomend dialing down the load or putting the chain fall on an Ibeam with an A frame support and wheels to move it around.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 23, 2013 - 05:21 PM.