Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Ok, before I take too much crap over this, note that even tho I am a Sears guy, I have never had to pull a hub off one before.  On the ST/12 that I'm sure most of you have seen the finished pics of from my winter project.  Well, I noticed the seals are leaking around the hub, but oddly enough, they only leak while its down on its wheels.  When I have the back end up on stands, no leaks.  Anyway, I removed the tires and removed the (3) set screws from each side.  (all are soaking in p-oil cause they are pretty rusted).  I sprayed in the holes the set screws came out of, also the front of the hub between the hub and axle as best I could with PB Blaster.  I tapped the back side with a mini sledge as I rotated the hub as to hit in different spots.  I have bout a 1/4 inch play in each side where I can move the hub in/out, but it won't come off.  What am I missing?????  Should I just continue to work the same way til it pops?  Use a puller? I know to be careful with a puller because the hub can break but is there something I haven't removed?  I've looked everywhere on it and don't see anything.

ok...it's a 1972 Sears ST/12 and it's leaking from the groove between the hub and the axle that you can see in the pics.  If anyone knows the seal part number that'd save me time lookin it up too.  Thanks guys!!

hub.jpg hub2.jpg hub1.jpg

• JRJ said thank you

#2 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Are you sure the hub is moving on the axle? And not the whole axle moving in and out? If it is moving on the axle; then there is probably a burr from the setscrew. Tap it back on and give the holes a good looking over. Don’t know exactly how I would remove the burr (if present) but maybe the end of a file or drill into it slightly. Be easy if you use a puller. Maybe with a little love from a hot wrench, seals will be toast though. Another thing, only leaks with weight on it? Check the bearing/bushing, could be worn down enough to allow the axle to pull away from the seal, causing said leak. Pull bushing and turn 180 degrees, now it will only leak when jacked up!  Good luck and remember on reassembly: Anti Seize is your best friend for the next time.

Edited by Bmerf, March 22, 2013 - 08:46 PM.

• boyscout862 and Farmlife have said thanks

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Sounds like you are running into the 'dimple' left in the axle from the set-screws if it is moving that much.  Get a large 3 jaw puller and pull it off..  Good Luck!

• Farmlife said thank you

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:56 PM

If you're leary about using a gear puller, due to possibly breaking the hubs, try this instead. Buy yourself four muffler clamps, and attach two to each hub, using only one "U" bolt. Set your gear puller to pull on the muffler clamps instead of the hub itself. Apply a little heat. spray on some more penetrating oil while warm, and tap lightly every now and then. Should pop off. Good luck!

#5 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 05:23 AM

Are you sure the hub is moving on the axle? And not the whole axle moving in and out? If it is moving on the axle; then there is probably a burr from the setscrew. Tap it back on and give the holes a good looking over. Don’t know exactly how I would remove the burr (if present) but maybe the end of a file or drill into it slightly. Be easy if you use a puller. Maybe with a little love from a hot wrench, seals will be toast though. Another thing, only leaks with weight on it? Check the bearing/bushing, could be worn down enough to allow the axle to pull away from the seal, causing said leak. Pull bushing and turn 180 degrees, now it will only leak when jacked up!  Good luck and remember on reassembly: Anti Seize is your best friend for the next time.

Yes, I use never seize on everything and sometimes break grease depending on what I'm doing.  Break grease doesn't break down over time with heat like never seize does.  The hubs on these sears are meant to go in/out to rpovide a wider stance depending on the attachment your useing and for hills.  There's different setting points in relevation to the attachment.  I believe they're just seized on there so when I do get them off, i will clean up that axle and lube it not only to slide the new seal on more easily, but to also prevent this from happenng again.  I just wasn't sure because I know some axles have a clip on the inside, wanted to be sure before I went to town on these hubs.

#6 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 03:21 PM

I don't know if you found the part number yet, and I don't know if it is the same as the suburban 12 either. The No. in my sub 12 manual is 4910H for the oil seal. I don't know if you will need it but the No. for the bearing is 6264H. Good luck with fixing it.

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 04:53 PM

I had a time with my wheelhorse hubs.

I used a gear puller and tightend it up until I had good pressure on it, then I whacked the gear puller shaft with a hammer. The hubb moved about 1/16 of an inch. I did this until the hub was completely off. Few words of caution doing it this way, 1: I mushroomed the end of my axle just enough to feel it. Fixed it with a file. Dont put too much pressure on the hub, it will break.

The second way I tried on the other hub. I lossend the set screw and drove it around. It took awhile of intermiitent use before the hub got loose. Maybe an hour of total time. The big draw back to this is that if you arent paying attention the axle can pullout of the hub and drop the tractor down.