Case 444 Not Lifting

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,689 Thanks
  • 2,911 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 03:53 PM

YAY!!! Happiness is a Case 444 that works! I still can't totally pin down the problem but  between fixing the leaks and changing out the oil the problem is gone. One more thing, I belong to two other tractor sites and neither one of them has offered up any advice on this problem, not a single peep. From now on this is the only garden tractor site for me, this place is the best of the best all the way around. Thanks all 

Happy to hear you have it running again.  I was watching, but had nothing to add.   :good_job: 

#17 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Yep, the treactor was modified and there lies the problem, and I am still having a problem. In order to mount the frame for the loader I had to extend the plate with the holes in it that runs the hitch by about three inches for clearance. That three inches multiplies the load that must be handled by the sleeve cylinder. It easily handles my weight standing on the sleeve hitch but not the weight of the tiller. I guess it boils down to totally removing the loader to use the tiller or finding a way to increase the load the sleeve cylinder can handle. I don't need much more force as I can easily give the sleeve hitch the extra lifting force it needs with one hand.

#18 machinist OFFLINE  

• Member No: 29663
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 05:19 PM

I built my own sleeve hitch for a 446, and put a long link up to increase the load capacity.   This meant making a really crooked link to the rocker shaft.   My link goes over the rear axle, down past the brake drum and then straight forward.   Nasty bit of fab work, bending 3/8" X 1 1/2" stock edgeways in 2 places, but it works and will lift a lot.   Hang the moldboard plow on a big rock then hit the lift, and you can bring the front end right up!    Ask how I know THAT...

#19 gopher OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2755
  • 562 Thanks
  • 619 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 10:04 PM

You say you added 3in.I don't think that would be enough to cause your problem.When it stops lifting do you hear the common hydraulic sqeal .If you hold lever up or down till cylinder bottom out does it make your motor bog down any?I still think your problem is in lift control.

#20 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 10:49 PM

When I run the lift control either up or down it all the way it squeals like a stuck pig, but the engine never bogs down a bit. I took a road trip to my neighbors house on the tractor this afternoon to pick up a couple pieces of iron and as usual I had no problem with power to the wheels. Does anyone know how to adjust the relief valve? Who knows, the darn valve is probably shot.