• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 07:35 PM

I have an early 70's 444  and I went to put the tiller on the sleeve hitch but the tractor wont lift the tiller. The sleeve does move up and down but it just cant handle any weight at all. Its still a bit cold here in Montana so I was curious if that could be the issue since the sleeve lift worked fine last summer. The tractor drives fine and seems to have no other problems. Thanks in advance for anyone who canhelp me.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0730.JPG

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Since it worked last year we'll skip the 'wrong oil?' question. If the tractor was warmed up and running around fine, we can rule out the cold as a factor. Any recent work to the hydraulics that would of introduced air into the system? A leak would be noticeable, that should be ruled out...

Check over the hoses real good back there, and check the hydraulic tank for evidence of any foaming. That would indicate air getting sucked in somewhere.

• tractorgarden, Toolpartzman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 09:48 PM

Since it worked last year we'll skip the 'wrong oil?' question. If the tractor was warmed up and running around fine, we can rule out the cold as a factor. Any recent work to the hydraulics that would of introduced air into the system? A leak would be noticeable, that should be ruled out...

Check over the hoses real good back there, and check the hydraulic tank for evidence of any foaming. That would indicate air getting sucked in somewhere.

Yes, But it was summer when working , moisture, does funny things when frozen. Can you bring tractor in a heated area and bring it well above freezing. then we shall rule out temp.  

• Toolpartzman, boyscout862 and tractorgarden'sbabe have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 06:35 AM

I would suspect that something(ice) is blocking a passage. Maybe a bypass is jammed open. The warming is a best first step. Good Luck, Rick

#5 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 09:44 AM

After stewing on this issue last night I think I will dump the oil today since I have not done so since I bought the tractor last year. As far as the heat goes I do manage to warm up my shop with a wood stove to the point where you can work in a tee shirt. The old lift cyl did have a minor leak but the new one is tight.

#6 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 12:40 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. We love our tractors here and love pictures even more. There are guys and gals around here that run circles around me with their knowledge base so I have no doubt you'll get this figured out here.

Is that your tractor in the photo above? Have you tried raising and lowering the bucket? Do you have any other attachments that you could try lifting and lowering? This might help diagnose where the problem is in the system or if it's an entire systems issue.

Matthew

Edited by Moosetales, March 22, 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#7 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 12:44 PM

After stewing on this issue last night I think I will dump the oil today since I have not done so since I bought the tractor last year. As far as the heat goes I do manage to warm up my shop with a wood stove to the point where you can work in a tee shirt. The old lift cyl did have a minor leak but the new one is tight.

BTW, when did you install the new lift cylinder?

#8 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Well here's what I have found so far. First off to answer a couple questions, the loader is powered of of a seperate system powered by the front pto and all is fine with it and I just changed out the sleeve cylinder yesterday. Today I replaced the main hose that runs from the pump down to the hard lines near the bottom of the tractor.  It has been leaving a small puddle after a night in the shop and it was probably origional equipment. I also had a small leak on the rear hydraulic pto line and I fixed that. Since I was in the process of making a huge mess I figured I might as well change out the oil in the hydraulic system and will refill it in the morning and see what happens. Thanks All!!

#9 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Well here's what I have found so far. First off to answer a couple questions, the loader is powered of of a seperate system powered by the front pto and all is fine with it and I just changed out the sleeve cylinder yesterday. Today I replaced the main hose that runs from the pump down to the hard lines near the bottom of the tractor.  It has been leaving a small puddle after a night in the shop and it was probably origional equipment. I also had a small leak on the rear hydraulic pto line and I fixed that. Since I was in the process of making a huge mess I figured I might as well change out the oil in the hydraulic system and will refill it in the morning and see what happens. Thanks All!!

You know about pulling the drain plug out, and turning motor over with spark plug out to really drain system?

#10 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • Member No: 29663
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 10:09 PM

A friend had a problem with brakes on his truck and found it to be a bad HOSE.   The inner rubber lining had decayed and made a flap that obstructed the line when the brakes were applied.    I had never heard of that one before, but check your old hoses. 

#11 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 10:21 PM

You say have rear pto check selector valve not  in between and dead heading rear pto . If it drives ok its in the lift circute not hydraulic per say. Scratch that thinking of 3 pt. You said changed lift cylinder was that before or after lift problem.You could get someone to move lever while you watch linkege to mutch slop wont engage all the way.Or it could be the cylinder cup seal or o ring bad letting oil flow right though the cylinder.

Edited by gopher, March 22, 2013 - 11:26 PM.

#12 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Well I'm about to put the new oil back in the system but first I think I will remove and clean the tank and the hose on the sucrion side is also looking a bit rough and is obviously leaking somewhere so I might as well replace it too.

#13 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 01:32 PM

YAY!!! Happiness is a Case 444 that works! I still can't totally pin down the problem but  between fixing the leaks and changing out the oil the problem is gone. One more thing, I belong to two other tractor sites and neither one of them has offered up any advice on this problem, not a single peep. From now on this is the only garden tractor site for me, this place is the best of the best all the way around. Thanks all

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0739.JPG

• tractorgarden said thank you

#14 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 01:51 PM

Fantastic. Glad to hear you're back in business. Regarding the other sites, that was my experience and I also here to stay. Thanks for the pic.

BTW, does your tractor have a story. We love stories and pics around here.

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 03:52 PM

I'm not a betting man, but a suspect hose on the suction side has my vote. Either way, glad it's back up and working for ya.

I see the exhaust was changed to accommodate the loader frame. Was the tractor altered in other ways to get that loader on there?