#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 10:49 AM

OOPS ! I lost all teh narrative of this post when I went to preview it. How did that happen?

Attached Thumbnails

• tiller517 004.JPG
  • tiller517 008.JPG
  • new simplicity tiller 001.JPG
  • new simplicity tiller 013.JPG
  • new simplicity tiller 014.JPG

• CRFarnsworth and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 10:53 AM

WELLLLLLLL.......... anyway the first two pictures ar of a Allis Chalmers made, Homelite tiller. The next three are of a Simplicity tiller I am going to use on my Homelite T-16H. I have to transfere the manual PTO stop from the Allis to the Simplicity. I have the mule drive and belt but need to find a 5/8" X 5 1/2" cast pulley for teh tractor PTO. More later. Thanks. Roger.

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 10:53 AM

That looks familiar for some reason........don't tell me, I'll get it......................

• hamman said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 11:15 AM

WELLLLLLLL.......... anyway the first two pictures ar of a Allis Chalmers made, Homelite tiller. The next three are of a Simplicity tiller I am going to use on my Homelite T-16H. I have to transfere the manual PTO stop from the Allis to the Simplicity. I have the mule drive and belt but need to find a 5/8" X 5 1/2" cast pulley for teh tractor PTO. More later. Thanks. Roger.

Tractor Supply usually has a nice selection of pulleys.  Otherwise, you can try bothering your local tractor dealers and see if the parts person would be nice enough to take a few measurements.  New Holland in particular usually has a pile of pulleys for their belt intensive implements.

Ben W.

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#5 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 11:13 AM

I had planned on doing this a couple of years ago but with health problems kept me from it. I have decided that it is better to do it than let them sit. I had tried to work a deal for an original Homelite Lawn Revitalizer on the one tiller but the cost of shipping was prohibative on both ends. I had a lot of big plans while I was working but the health problems and loss of job and kind of forced retirement had me down in the dumps. Iwas out looking at the tillers yesterday and it probably woun't take long to get them switched over. I found a pulley at WW Grainger and I was wondering what you guys thought of it. It says it is a fiber reinforced pulley. Not sure of the RPMs on the PTO. My book for the tractor doesn't cover that. Not sure if it is stong enough to use. Here is a picture of it. It is 4 a 4L belt which is what it takes. Thanks. Roger.

Attached Thumbnails

• ptopulley.PNG

#6 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 07:01 AM

Not sure of the RPMs on the PTO

PTO rpm = engine rpm.

Also, using a 5.5" pulley will result in a tine speed a little faster than was originally intended for the tiller. PTO pulleys that came with the tillers with the built in clutch were 5" OD. The tillers without the built in clutch were driven from the PTO cone clutch which had a pulley diameter of 4.75".

Hope this helps. 

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Went out yesterday to put the tillers in the garage. Mother Nature has another idea, there is still 10" - 12" of snow coveing the implements that are under a tarp and shelter. I don't want to work on them out there taking a chance on loosing something. Supposed to be warmer here in the next few days. Will try to get them out in the next few. I will take some pics when I start.

#8 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 04:31 AM

I just noticed, shouldn't the bore of the PTO pulley be 7/8" instead of 5/8"? 

• hamman said thank you

#9 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 01:03 PM

Hey Hamman,

A truevalue or ace hardware close? Or may be a bigger hardware store? A lot of these places carry aluminum pulleys in different sizes. http://www.acehardwa...oductId=1291887

They may say something like "only for fractional Hp" Don't believe them, a few years back, had the main transmission pulley rust through on the boys' Craftsman, replaced it with one of these "1/4 Hp" rated pulleys. He used/abused (as in 'look at how big a wheelie I can do') for over three years mowing 1 1/2 acres. One of these type pulleys worked for me and was cheap (6" for something like $8) Good luck.

• hamman said thank you

#10 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 02:53 PM

Ya it is 7/8 " I was having a Senior Moment there. I looked at a couple of places localy here and no one has them. I was told by an old timer that the aluminum pulley wil, eventually break apart. He suggested a cast or steel pulley. We have a Farm and Home in a town 30 miles away and when i go for a Dr. appt. this week I will go there and check. Got the lift linkage cleaned for the tractor and got the rear lift out and got it ready. Going to take the tilles to the garage this weekend and swap ot the parts to make it work properly. Almost have the new motor readty to put in the tractor. Have to get my Allis Chalmers WC up and running now also. Just received a starter for it. No shortage of projects. Feeling better this year and have lots planned. I will post pics as I start the tiller fix and removal and reinstall of the motor for the Homelite. Thanks. Roger.