8 replies to this topic

#1 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 07:46 AM

I recently aquired a Briggs and Stratton 8hp horizontal shaft engine. 

Model 19052 0552-01 73121410

It was pulled from a sears 3 point tiller that a friend bought and repowered with a Harbor Freight Predator engine.  He had never ran this engine but said it reved at full speed when started.  I looked and the idle screw wasn't touching but is fully open and when you turn it by hand so the screw touches, it is spring loaded so it turns hard and opend full throttle when you let go..  I am thinking that someone has something hooked up backwards ot the governor is way out of whack.  I would like to find a manual online but don't know what to look for.

So my questions currently would be"

Where do I get the correct manual?

What about that spring loaded throttle?

Thank You,

Robert 

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Our manuals section has many B&S manuals that you can download for free. One of them should cover all older B&S engines  http://gardentractor...r-instructions/   It sounds like the governor is messed up. Good Luck, Rick

• robert_p43 said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 08:35 AM

Robert, you're missing a number off the model: it should be six digits.  Otherwise, it could be a 5 digit model, but they were all 6xxxx 8xxxx or 9xxxx.  If the code is right, it was made on December 14, 1973. 

Once you have the right number, go to here for "newer" 6 digit model number manuals: http://www.briggsand...rators-manuals/

Or here for antique 5 and 1 digit manuals: http://www.briggsand...erator Manuals/

Ben W.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and robert_p43 have said thanks

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,725 Thanks
  • 4,285 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 09:14 AM

At start up, the throttle should be wide open. As the engine comes up to speed the governor should shut the throttle.The spring load open part would be right. Either the governor has too stiff a spring or it isn't working to slow it down. It could be the relationship of the lever to the shaft coming through the block.

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 02:35 PM

Is it possible for you to take some pictures of the governor, throttle control and carb setup?

#6 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 04:21 PM

Check tomorrow, Chris.  I grabbed the camera, dead batteries.  Found the spare set. Dead Batteries.  On the charger now. I think I better get a couple of new pars of rechargables.  These were charges the last time I used the camera. (Christmas)

• chris m said thank you

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 04:54 PM

Pictures will help a lot! From  engines I have dealt with you just never know what a PO did to the governor and controls. :wallbanging:

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Didn't get the pictures today, I got busy moving wood.  Someone came by today and they had both of my little saws going at once, but then I only had one axe for splitting.

I'lll do my best to get some tomorrow.

• chris m said thank you

#9 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 02:59 PM

I am finally including a picture of the carb.

briggs_carb01.JPG

I could not get a picture of what is behind the carb.  Under the carb, there is a sheet metal plate, you can see a large amount of the paint is coming off of this plate.  There is a push/ pull cable for the throttle, the pull would be on the right side, the cable comes around to the left side and attaches to a mechanism that is on the plate. (with the missing paint)  There ia a link from the governor arm to the back of the carb idler screw and a spring holding it in the wide open position whether the cable is pulled to full throttle or pushed in to idle position.  I am thinking that the arm needs adjusting and if the throttle cable is pulled, the idle screw should be open, as in the picture, but when pushed in, the idle screw should be hitting with the engine not running. Am I correct?