• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Welcome to GTT. Be sure to read the manuals thoroughly. Then store them in a safe place. Proper care and maintenance will help the tractor last a lot longer. I like to change the engine oil on a new engine at about 1 hour and then follow the manual. Good Luck, Rick

• IamSherwood and GT5k6spd have said thanks

#17 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Hey all,

...   am i crazy?

Who isn't crazy, here... or somewhere?!

And so   :welcometogttalk:

• GT5k6spd said thank you

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 09:50 AM

Welcome to GTtalk.  Brian is right adding weight will help with stability.  I have a GT3000 with wheel weights that has served me well for the last 12 years.  As Rick said read the manual's and put them where you can find them, do your services and don't skip anything, and keep it in a shed, barn or garage when not in use (your seat will thank you).

• IamSherwood, boyscout862 and GT5k6spd have said thanks

#19 GT5k6spd OFFLINE  

GT5k6spd
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31018
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. Nice tractor. Wheel spacers are one way to improve stability but will put more stress on the axles and make the tractor harder to maneuver through narrow areas. Consider adding wheel weights or filling the rear tires with fluid to increase weight and lower your centre of gravity to improve stability. This will also improve traction.

Welcome to GTTalk !  I wonder what difference the carbs are ?  Please take some "action shots " when you get your tractor , we love pictures , Al

Like JDBrian said , I would recommend Fluid filled tires, or foam filled (expensive,but heavy and no flats) foam tends to soften the rubber  some,tires will have more grip, but tread wears more quickly if your run a lot on pavement. Grass does not wear as much.

oh yeah , welcome, Shawn

welcome to the forum. please post pics when u get it

Welcome.  Glad you joined.  Order the wheel weights if they don't have any at the store.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks, all!

Already i feel like Billy Crystal in 'City Slickers'.    Oh, and i'll be postin' plenty o' pix and vids!    tho, my first order of biz will be to not go 'wheels up' and gettin' buried by it.   once i've mastered that, i'll be back posting here and searchin' the web for either weights, fluid or foam, now that spacers are out.    then, i'll be changin' my phone number so my neighbors won't call me to knock down their fields, pull their stumps and bury their wives.

anyway, this thing will see pavement about 10 minutes a year, so i'd be good with foam.   so, regardless of cost, what's the best course for stability that you've guys found?

thanks in advance!

• tractorgarden said thank you

#20 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 09:57 AM

If pretty steep, I'd go with fluid first, as it will put more weight at a lower center of gravity than wheel weights.  If you still need more traction, I'd add the wheel weights also.  With fluid and weights, you should go most anywhere, but if it still spins, then it's too steep to be on in the first place.

And I almost forgot!........ :welcome:

• twostep and GT5k6spd have said thanks

#21 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 03:35 PM

If I am not mistaken the new Sears has a locking differential. With locking differentials losing traction will be less of a problem.  By the owners manual most lawn tractors are not designed to mow anything larger than a 15% land grade. As previous guys have mentioned that putting wheel spacers do put a lot of stress on the axles. The current lawnmowers/Garden Tractors are ONLY designed to last 5-7 years to the normal homeowners. With much TLC you can make this lawnmower last 10-20 years. 

Why exactly are you looking for stability?

What motor does this mower have on it? Is it hydrostatic or gear driven? What size deck?

#22 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 03:58 PM

Welcome. If traction is needed you can always lower your tire pressure or switch to lug style tires too! And dont forget that for stability you can load your front tires too!

#23 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Hey there and welcome! :wave: Lug style tires work real well i would recommend them

#24 GT5k6spd OFFLINE  

GT5k6spd
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 05:38 PM

If I am not mistaken the new Sears has a locking differential. With locking differentials losing traction will be less of a problem.  By the owners manual most lawn tractors are not designed to mow anything larger than a 15% land grade. As previous guys have mentioned that putting wheel spacers do put a lot of stress on the axles. The current lawnmowers/Garden Tractors are ONLY designed to last 5-7 years to the normal homeowners. With much TLC you can make this lawnmower last 10-20 years. 

Why exactly are you looking for stability?

What motor does this mower have on it? Is it hydrostatic or gear driven? What size deck?

hey,

stability for the significantly hilly area.  i'm not on a clif, but i will be pushing the 15% envelope in some areas.  my main use will be weed abatement, which means i'll be out with it no more than 3x a season on ~2 hilly acres.   it's got the kohler v twin @ 26hp, 6 spd gear drive and a 54" deck.

#25 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hi, and welcome to GTT. :wave:

Reading through this from the start, I see you've already got some

great advice, from alot of the helpful guys you'll find around here.

SF and area, are one of my favorite places. I like to rent a car, and

zip out to Point Reyes. That's awesome.

Enjoy yourself here at GTT.

#26 GT5k6spd OFFLINE  

GT5k6spd
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:57 PM

DUDES!   THIS THING ROCKS SO HARD IT'S CRIMINAL!!

took delivery today, fired up like a dream, put her to work and i think she's smilin' more than me!   i got 2 hrs on her already and will be changing the oil before she hits it again!

papa's got a brand new bag!

so i got a couple questions:

any of you guys install a cig. lighter socket for charging/accessories?

what's been your optimum tire pressure for firm, yet damp, terrain?  (all 4 tires)

thanks for your help! 

this is awesome!  i'm as giddy as a school girl. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1237.JPG
  • IMG_1239.JPG
  • IMG_1240.JPG

• KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Best of luck with it!

#28 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 07:02 AM

Just hook it up to the battery. If you was planning to charge your phone etc... I would be sure to put a fuse on the positive side to make sure it doesn't fry your phone. As in the size of the fuse I couldn't tell you that. You would just have to do some research on your electronic devices.

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 07:15 AM

Glad you are enjoying your new ride.

Tire pressure, I would use what they have on the side, but consider a set of wheel weights (available thru Sears)

Cig liter, you may be able to find a wiring schematic online. Often, there is an unused aux output in a harness.
  • SearsYellow and GT5k6spd have said thanks

#30 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 01:44 PM

Never thought to look for a aux output on a wiring harness. I figured that the factory used every connector on the wiring harness. Another thing to think about too is to possibly put it on a switch just to be sure it doesn't run your battery dead.

Glad you are enjoying your new ride.

Tire pressure, I would use what they have on the side, but consider a set of wheel weights (available thru Sears)

Cig liter, you may be able to find a wiring schematic online. Often, there is an unused aux output in a harness.

• MH81 and GT5k6spd have said thanks