• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 09:48 AM

Awhile back we had a nice thread on the tools needed for GT restorations. I encourge enthusiasts to build their shops with bargain used tools. This seems like a good deal if it works.

http://newlondon.cra...3692666991.html  For $75

3E43G33F65N55Ke5M5d3jb19651c832c915d5.jp

Good Luck to somebody nearby. Rick

• Alc and larryd have said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 10:02 AM

As always and you should know, we try to talk the seller down, I do believe that would be a fare price but then would you feel it is a good deal, you are the one that has to pleased. And I do agree with you about every shop should have a welder and learn to use it and to do that it requires lots of practice-practice and more practice.

Dick

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Even when it starts at a fair price I offer less or get them to throw in something else. If it starts at a fair price you do have to be a little suspicious. I'm not interested in this as I have four electric welders already. I just thought that someone else might like it.

• larryd said thank you

#4 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 11:25 AM

I have one just like that. I gave $50 for mine a few years ago and thought it should be worth a little more than that.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#5 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 11:31 AM

I'm looking for a welder. I'd be all over that.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2
  • larryd said thank you

#6 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 12:46 PM

I know money is tight for somw who want a welder, but a 220v mig,which costs a lot more, is more versatile for welding on LT's and GT's.
JMHO,
Mike
  • larryd said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 06:59 PM

I know money is tight for somw who want a welder, but a 220v mig,which costs a lot more, is more versatile for welding on LT's and GT's.
JMHO,
Mike

There's a world a difference between a 110V and a 220V. I use a 220V up at my friends house where I store my trailer. Man, that thing is sweet.

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 07:14 PM

There's a world a difference between a 110V and a 220V. I use a 220V up at my friends house where I store my trailer. Man, that thing is sweet.

I have one of each. Love them both. The 110 is great to carry with you.

#9 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 11:45 PM

I used a friends Miller 135 at his place quite awhile after buying my Miller 175. I was not impressed butt welding 16 ga square tube for a gate. And that was w/ the voltage turned all the way up.
Mike

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 09:58 AM

After 50 years of welding both as a profession and hobby I would rather have the stick welder than a mig. In an indoor setting with little or no air movement and clean materials the Mig is the way to go. Learning to weld with a mig gun is much easier.  Higher weld speeds and less waste also factor in.

Outside in the real world where things are not so tidy the good old fashion stick welder rules the roost. Moisture, wind, and contaminates are all tolerated much better by the stick welder. Changing from one type of filler to another is as easy as grabbing a different rod and setting the welder. The reach of your welder is only limited to the length of your lead cables and the equipment is less fussy to maintain. Lastly with proper precautions they make an excellent indoor welder also. They do take more training to become proficient with though.

I have both and If I had to choose between them the stick welder would win every time.

your mileage may differ.  :smilewink:

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Budget welders, I got two of them. A Harbor freight 170 amp mig and a little Craftsman 100amp buzz box. I am trying to learn both. The HF is a 220 machine and it will lay down some wire. Its defenatly not a Miller or lincoln but it was in my budget and it works decent enough for me. I have had to educate myself on it and welding. It has its limits and picularities but it will make a strong weld if I do my part.

Now the little buzz box, its just fun. I picked it 10 years ago for $35 and promptly gave up on trying to weld with it. then I got into GTs and started breaking things. So here comes learning curve, electrode selection, size, amperage etc.. I can get it to make two pieces stick together and hold but I am still learning its limitations.

Then I found weldingweb.com and saw some of the mods that people are doing to their little buz boxes. I just say I have another interest to spend money on right now.

#12 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 06:02 PM

I also have the thunderbolt A/C D/C. If I have to weld anything over 1/4" thick it gets plugged in. If I had to do much welding outdoors I'd get an engine driven welder.
JMHO,
Mike

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 07:55 PM

I also have the thunderbolt A/C D/C.

I own the same welder and it does everything I need including stainless and aluminum. Between this and the Lincoln flux core wire feed there is not much that can't be handled in the home shop. I've also gone back to a carbon arc torch and haven't had to fill my Oxy, Acetylene tanks in years. It's just a matter of leaning new or old ways of doing things. The results seem to come out the same but the expense can be lower. 

#14 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 06:59 AM

I just got this one. Is little but I thought it may do ok for sheet metal work and such. I also thought I could maybe use it in a stank?

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1363953582752.jpg

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,262 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 07:21 AM

I just got this one. Is little but I thought it may do ok for sheet metal work and such. I also thought I could maybe use it in a stank? Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

Use it where?

I would warn you that Methane Gas is flammable...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tools, welder