Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Trying A New Snow Activity (now With An Update)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 07:17 PM

I'm at camp and there was a foot of snow on the ground.  It snowed more last night and this morning.  My fiance wanted to go look at used cross country skis.  When we arrived at the shop just outside Lake Placid NY, we were met by a friendly young woman that knew all about x-country skis.  She showed us the used section and answered any and all questions.  There were a lot of different items.  There was nothing that was going to make a complete package of used (cheap) equipment.  

During the conversation with the with the woman, she mentioned they had a good entry level package.  We measured our feet, picked out boots and my fiance took two different styles outside and tried them out.  I picked mine out without trying them.  A little while later we were headed out with new skis, boots, bindings and poles.  It was more than I planned to spend, but they should be good for a long while.

I hadn't x-country skied since a teen in the Scouts.  When we got back to camp, I threw on the shoes and attached them to the skis and I was swooshing around the lawn.   I spoke to a fellow at the store who had just given lessons to a couple.  He was a local hunting and fishing guide.  I was sold when he said how much easier it would be to hunt with skis than snow shoes.  I'm looking forward to that next winter.

Tomorrow I am skiing with the fiance.  Hopefully I will be upright the whole time.

IMG_0562.JPG IMG_0563.JPG IMG_0564.JPG

Edited by daytime dave, March 20, 2013 - 06:13 PM.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862, Arti and 2 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Good luck!  Here I thought you were going to buy a snowmobile or something exciting like that...

Ben W.

• daytime dave said thank you

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Boots, 1X4's and broom-sticks! Have fun. :D :smilewink:

• daytime dave and backwoods have said thanks

#4 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hopefully I will be upright the whole time.

Surely you jest :rolling:  At least you will be approaching it with a positive attitude.  Have fun and most of all good luck!!

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Never tried crosscountry skiing  but it looks like fun ..  Good Luck  

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,766 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:28 PM

My grandfather came from the north of Sweden. He told me of hunting on skis and shooting on the fly. Later, he was a ski trooper in the Swedish Army during WWI.

We watched the Biatholon of the 1976 Olimpics together. He thought that they were making it too easy by getting out of their skiis to shoot.

Have fun, but always carry a good survival kit with you in the woods. The AMK Heatsheet is the best pocket size emergency blanket. Good Luck, Rick

#7 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 12:23 AM

When I turned 65,  cross country skiing was still on my bucket list, so I got at it that year-- had a blast, and am still upright, too,  lol .Now I'm pushing 70, the bucket list keeps getting longer, and I'm considering putting ski-joring on it. Will have to hook up one of the Tibetan Mastiffs and give it a try.    Olde Deere #2.

#8 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 09:50 AM

plaster industries will be happy....

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 12:10 PM

plaster industries will be happy....

I hope not!  :D

#10 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 02:25 PM

I hope not!  :D

:ditto:      :thumbs:

#11 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 02:50 PM

Ahhh the things you Yankees do to bear the dandruff overload this time of the year.

• daytime dave and HDWildBill have said thanks

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 04:07 PM

I hope you stay up right as well Dave.  :thumbs:

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 06:35 PM

Today, I went with the fiance to ski with her cousin.  Her cousin is an outdoor woman for sure.  She has climbed over a hundred mountains, recently completed the entire Appalachian trail, etc, etc,,,,,,, you get the picture.  We arrive at the Tupper Lake cross country ski center.  Her cousin used a bad word and it was plural.  She said miles.  Yes miles.  An easy three mile course she says.

We started out ok and my skills of over thirty plus years ago started to come back.  Next thing I know, I'm looking at the sky.  Nothing broken or even bruised so we continue.  I crouch going down hill and can even steer a bit.  Then I fell harder.  Back of the knee was a bit different feeling than a few minutes ago.  I get up, fiance is laughing uncontrollably and I continue.  Now my lungs are screaming for air.  Boy I was in better shape as a teen.  I finally tell the girls I will practice on my own and see them at the car.  They go on to continue the rest of the 2.5 or so miles to go.  I head back and practice.  I was doing fine.  Now time to practice downhill some more.  I get a pretty good idea of what I'm doing so now time to practice snow plow stopping on a little bigger hill.  I pick out the hill and glide down.  The snow plowing didn't seem to work well, so I give it another try.  The snow plow failed to work and as I was wondering what to do next, the skis made the decision for me.  They decided to race ahead.  So down I go for the third and last time.  It seems I couldn't snow plow because I was on a sheet of ice.  A very hard sheet of ice.  I'm not sure if a middle aged fat man can register on a Richter scale, but I think I did.  But, nothing broken and not badly bruised.  (The knee got better)

Once the girls got back to the car, we went to the cousin's place.  The fiance and I took a steam in the Sauna and that erased most all of the aches from falling.

All in all, I'm glad I got the skis.  Going tomorrow morning before leaving for home.

Edited by daytime dave, March 20, 2013 - 06:36 PM.