7 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 06:53 PM

So i just ordered a filter head from john Deere #9 For my Diesel project and i am going to use a Napa 3390 filter on it but i noticed that the filter has 4 ports .. and i am pretty sure that the T on the top is a flow thru to allow air to escape from the filter and i was wondering if Any one has a manual Or a fuel system schematic for a Deere 110TLB 2320-2720 ... as i am wondering if the fuel pump goes in Before or after the filter ... ? and i Do plan to put a separator in some time soon ...

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• MP60537________UN01MAR04.gif

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 565 Thanks
  • 628 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 07:35 PM

I'll start off by saying I know nothing abought your small diesel. But all filters are before injector pump.And seperator before filter.If t releaved air presure your pump would lose prime.Just wondering what is the 4 ports you speak of. T could be to releave pressure when priming pump.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Do you mean the 2320 compact tractor. I have one and also have a service manual.  In brief the filter is before the pump.

A short version of what is in my manual

The fuel flows from the tank to the fuel filter/water separator/shut off valve. Excess air is returned to the tank through a return line. The pump draws fuel from the filter to the pump. After the pump housing is filled excess fuel is returned along with excess leakoff fuel from the injectors, through the return line to the fuel tank. 

#4 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 03:48 AM

The Tee on top of the filter housing is a return to tank , one line comes from the injector pump on some models, injector returns on others, and the other side of it goes to the tank .

The fuel  flows into the middle of the filter from the tank , and then through the element to the outer passages and off to the injector pump.

If you have an aux. lift pump it draws through this filter and pumps straight to the injector pump.

#5 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 02:50 PM

The Tee on top of the filter housing is a return to tank , one line comes from the injector pump on some models, injector returns on others, and the other side of it goes to the tank .

The fuel  flows into the middle of the filter from the tank , and then through the element to the outer passages and off to the injector pump.

If you have an aux. lift pump it draws through this filter and pumps straight to the injector pump.

Thats what i was thinking ... as my kubota has a Bypass port thing off the injection pump and the injector bleed ports  that T together then return to the tank but the only thing is the filter will be level with the top of the fuel tank so the Lift pump (electric inline) will need to Pull the fuel thru the filter and i would think the filter would be under Vacuum right ? so would'nt the air get Stuck in the filter head instead of getting forced out ? worse comes to worse i will plug it off ?

#6 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 03:28 AM

The filter should be at the bottom so it has a "head preassure" on it . It will be tough getting all the air out any other way ? As it was not designed that way.

You will need a lift pump then in your case, to push the fuel up to the filter. The injector pump does not create suction so the fuel needs to either have "head preasure" from gravity or pumped .

#7 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 07:03 AM

The filter should be at the bottom so it has a "head preassure" on it . It will be tough getting all the air out any other way ? As it was not designed that way.

You will need a lift pump then in your case, to push the fuel up to the filter. The injector pump does not create suction so the fuel needs to either have "head preasure" from gravity or pumped .

Heres what i got for a fuel pump

http://www.ebay.ca/i...d7d6d60&vxp=mtr

Right now i have a inline filter that was "Just for testing" could that be used to run it for a bit ? I will do some looking and see where else i can mount the filter (to be lower) Could i draw fuel into the filter ? when i change it i will fill the filter up with diesel so its easier for the pump to pick it up From the level at the tank the top of the filter will be around 1" higher or lower then the fluid level

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:13 AM

Yes, that pump will literally pump jello. So it can go between the filter and tank and work effortless.