Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 10:22 AM

I have a Sears 16 that the PO repowered with an 18 hp Onan.  It's the one with the solid state ignition.  Trouble is, the fuel tank was rusty, so he threw it away (Aaargh!!) and the engine runs like it's fuel starved.

I have a16 hp HF Predator engine that I'm thinking of repowering it with.  The idea being that I would get better fuel economy, and also it would allow me to have a spare Onan for the 2 GTs my mom and I "share"  ;o}

Anyone have any experience with these engines as repowers?  Any comments?

Regards,

Smitty

PS  Sorry I haven't been on the forum for a while... work has been occupying most of my waking hours and even some of my dreams... (nightmares)...

• boyscout862, SearsYellow and Arti have said thanks

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 10:49 AM

I would say without a fuel tank it would most definitely be starved of fuel!  :bigrofl: .....  :smilewink:

I've no experience with the Predator engines.  Hopefully someone will chime in that does.

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hi Smitty,

I've got the 420 HF predator engine with electric start that I put on my "scrap" Massey last year.  In fact, I think it has been a little over a year since I put it on.  One summer of mowing, plus some riding around, probably only 3 hours per week, so at this point it has maybe 30 hours on it.

It has run well for me that whole time.  It cranks up fairly well, just needs some choke every time.  Plenty of power to run the 42 inch deck at any forward speed you care to travel, mowing speed is more a function of  seat endurance than mower bogging down.  It does not quite fit under the Massey hood because of the width of the Muffler/air cleaner area, however that is more a matter of 1/2 inch or less of clearance still needed.  Of more concern is the fact that the muffler blows toward the front of the tractor under the hood.  To date, I have not solved these issues, more to lack of time than any particular technical issues.  I've also been waiting to see if anything else major fails LOL.  The mount was a direct fit for the old Tecumseh engine, so that lined right up.  The old Tecumseh engine was a 1 &1/8 shaft, the Predator was 1 inch so I bought a sleeve and 1/4 x 5/16 key from Small Engine Warehouse.

I'll post a link showing my install here shortly.

OK, I think this is my repower thread:

http://gardentractor...lives/?p=123286

Edited by HowardsMF155, March 19, 2013 - 11:02 AM.

• Utah Smitty, boyscout862 and SearsYellow have said thanks

#4 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 11:07 AM

I have bought several Predator engines. The only flaw with these engines are the low oil sensors are extremely sensitive (not really a flaw but it can be annoying).When tilling sometimes I would fall into furrows and the engine would shutoff because all the oil would fall to one side of the engine. I also bought one of the 5-6 hp engines (forgot the cc's) and put on a leaf vac and ran it for 3 hours solid straight out of the box (not following break in procedures) and it never missed a lick. I really like these engines but as everything else everyones opinion is different.

I hope this helps!

Edited by Gumby, March 19, 2013 - 11:07 AM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#5 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 11:09 AM

I completely forgot I had to do the same. I took the pulley to a machine shop and got them to machine out the pulley and place a keyed sleeve that was 1".

Hi Smitty,

I've got the 420 HF predator engine with electric start that I put on my "scrap" Massey last year.  In fact, I think it has been a little over a year since I put it on.  One summer of mowing, plus some riding around, probably only 3 hours per week, so at this point it has maybe 30 hours on it.

It has run well for me that whole time.  It cranks up fairly well, just needs some choke every time.  Plenty of power to run the 42 inch deck at any forward speed you care to travel, mowing speed is more a function of  seat endurance than mower bogging down.  It does not quite fit under the Massey hood because of the width of the Muffler/air cleaner area, however that is more a matter of 1/2 inch or less of clearance still needed.  Of more concern is the fact that the muffler blows toward the front of the tractor under the hood.  To date, I have not solved these issues, more to lack of time than any particular technical issues.  I've also been waiting to see if anything else major fails LOL.  The mount was a direct fit for the old Tecumseh engine, so that lined right up.  The old Tecumseh engine was a 1 &1/8 shaft, the Predator was 1 inch so I bought a sleeve and 1/4 x 5/16 key from Small Engine Warehouse.

I'll post a link showing my install here shortly.

OK, I think this is my repower thread:

http://gardentractor...lives/?p=123286

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 11:15 AM

I know a few members have used those engines for re-powers and have been happy. I have a Lifan 13hp on my compressor.

The Predetor,Lifan, Greyhound and a few others are all made by the same company. They are Chines clones of the Honda engine. They just keep changing the names of the engines to avoid copyright infringement from Honda. One thing I have found so far is that every part I have changed I used parts from a Honda GX390 and you can't even tell a difference between the parts.

So far I have replaced the carb, coil,muffler,new style air filter box, governor rod and spring, and a complete gasket set. The carb I bought is brand new and it was only $20 on Ebay, it was cheaper than a rebuild kit.Even the coil was only $16.

Mine was used when I got the compressor and needed serious help. One thing with these engines that is very important is to make sure to adjust the valve's at the specified time the manual states!!!! That is the biggest problem I have seen with these.

If you do go this root, Good luck and I look forward to the updates :thumbs:

• iron Mike and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 09:16 PM

I would say without a fuel tank it would most definitely be starved of fuel!  :bigrofl: .....  :smilewink:

I've no experience with the Predator engines.  Hopefully someone will chime in that does.

Indeed!!!!  How you doing, anyway??  I've missed being on the forum... hope everyone is doing well.

US

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 09:23 PM

I completely forgot I had to do the same. I took the pulley to a machine shop and got them to machine out the pulley and place a keyed sleeve that was 1".

Thanks for the info... 

I've looked at those adapter sleeves from Small Engine Warehouse but $18 or so was a little steep for me. 

I found a solution instead at McMaster-Carr.  You can by brass or steel bushings with different ODs and IDs, and also rectangular key stock.  I had to go from 1" to 1 1/8"  on a K341 for my Ford.  I bought a couple  1" ID x 1 1/8" OD x 1" long bushings and 1/4 x 5/16" key stock (came in 12" length as I recall).  Total cost including freight was $10-$12.

You have to cut a longitudinal cut in the bushing--I used a pneumatic cut off wheel, and it was a little wider than 1/4" but it didn't cause any problems.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, March 19, 2013 - 09:24 PM.

• iron Mike said thank you

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 09:31 PM

I know a few members have used those engines for re-powers and have been happy. I have a Lifan 13hp on my compressor.

The Predetor,Lifan, Greyhound and a few others are all made by the same company. They are Chines clones of the Honda engine. They just keep changing the names of the engines to avoid copyright infringement from Honda. One thing I have found so far is that every part I have changed I used parts from a Honda GX390 and you can't even tell a difference between the parts.

So far I have replaced the carb, coil,muffler,new style air filter box, governor rod and spring, and a complete gasket set. The carb I bought is brand new and it was only $20 on Ebay, it was cheaper than a rebuild kit.Even the coil was only $16.

Mine was used when I got the compressor and needed serious help. One thing with these engines that is very important is to make sure to adjust the valve's at the specified time the manual states!!!! That is the biggest problem I have seen with these.

Yeah, mine was used, too... actually freight damaged.  I got if off E-bay... the seller said check out the pictures to detect any damage.  The pictures didn't show the crushed air shroud or that someone has slid a different, and non working carb on it... Anyway, I found another Greyhound 16 hp someone had turned in for scrap and bought it for scrap price.  It must have been on a concrete mixer as it had mortar all over it. 

But, for $30 I got a parts engine with a working carb, electric start, and other misc. parts so it worked out.

One problem I've had is that the engine acts fuel starved (this one does have a tank, OCH!!  ;o)  ).  I have cleaned the carb out with carb cleaner, but it didn't help... I've read that putting an emulsion tube from a Honda 240 engine helps the fuel velocity to increase... it may need a bigger jet as well.

Has anyone tinkered with them to this level????

Thanks also for the advice on the valve adjustment.  I didn't get an engine manual, but I imagine one's available for download from HFs website.

US

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sears. repower, predator, ss16