• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JoeA OFFLINE  

JoeA

• Member No: 431
  • 1 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted October 02, 2010 - 09:46 PM

Hello to all, still trying to get that 1556 started up that i got a about a month ago..with the air cleaner off , i notice when i cranked the engine some gas would spit out of the carb and the engine would back fire from time to time ...this is the tecumseh HH 150 with over head valves..took the breather of and notice that one rocker arm had waaaaay to much play in it..far to much to be resolved by adjusting the lash..as a result of all this play, the lift rod will easily slip out of the rod quide on the rocker arm..also notice that the exhaust valve spring appears to be shorter than the other spring..i'm guessing that someone tried to repair this with the incorrect spring?..other than the incorrect spring,,any other issues i could be dealing with here?..i did soak the carb and did somewhat of a rebuild,,still has the old main jet as that appears to be impossible to find at reasonable price..thanks, Joe

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 03, 2010 - 07:46 AM

Sounds like its not firing at the right time...good chance its due to the valves....

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 03, 2010 - 10:34 AM

Does the engine have compression?
Does the valve spring that's shorter than the other have some valve lash?
Are one of the valves stuck open?
You might need to remove the head and see whats inside.

#4 bazwell57 OFFLINE  

bazwell57

• Member No: 1456
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 30, 2010 - 02:55 AM

you have trouble with exhaust valve, your head is defective, remove it and see if your seat valve is remove from head, if yes i supposed you should repair your head to machine shop to replace your valve seat