Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

8"+ So Far And I Think We're Just Getting Started!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:06 AM

But then you guys don't know what's its like when it's 90* at 6:00 am either and stays above 100* for 30 days in a row.

That sounds as brutal to me as a couple feet of snow in a storm.  lol

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:07 AM

Yesterday morning we got about an inch of snow, but it hit right at Rush Hour so it was a slow and sloppy ride to work.

Melted by mid morning. But Northern Iowa,  Minnesota & ND got hammered.   Tomorrow is the first day of Spring and it's not supose to get over 28 degrees. And they are predicting another storm for the weekend, jury is still out as to whether it will be blizzard or heavy thunderstorms?  I have moved enough snow this winter! I'm ready to put the tiller on and work in the garden.

It's looking doubtful on planting taters on Good Friday?

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:09 AM

I honestly don't know how you guys put up with all that snow. If it even snows here its a big deal. But then you guys don't know what's its like when it's 90* at 6:00 am either and stays above 100* for 30 days in a row.

How true! I don't mind the heat we get here and prefer it to the cold but 100+ for weeks at a time would have even me wishing for winter. The worst part of the snow is the traffic constipation it causes around the city here. The worst of the cold is trying to work on any equipment when it's -10c. Froze my hands a couple of times this winter. I'm hoping to insulate my garage or add on an insulated workshop to get around that one.

• Amigatec said thank you

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:12 AM

The new forecast is giving us 6-8" tonight with ice pellets and a chance of freezing rain, then another 4-6" on Friday. Welcome to spring in Nova Scotia LOL!

#20 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:31 AM

The heat here the last 2 years has been brutal. The AC units can't keep up.

#21 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 11:11 AM

The worst of the cold is trying to work on any equipment when it's -10c. Froze my hands a couple of times this winter. 

Would you rather do a little wrenching in the cold or have to carry oven mitts in your trunk to change a tire because the wheel gets so hot?

The first batch of snow has been removed.  The Craftsman/Berco didn't even flinch at 10+" of dry snow.  The backlash snow from this one could come down at 3" an hour later this afternoon but I hope that clean up is just a few passes on the JD 214 with the blade.

Edited by ggsteve, March 19, 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#22 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,406 Thanks
  • 3,156 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 02:03 PM

And the end results

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130319_142512.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#23 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 02:30 PM

we got hit yesterday through last night but its 41 right now so i didnt bother hooking a plow up if it keeps up ill get the plow on the 70 and ill be ready

#24 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 02:40 PM

The first batch of snow has been removed.  The Craftsman/Berco didn't even flinch at 10+" of dry snow.  The backlash snow from this one could come down at 3" an hour later this afternoon but I hope that clean up is just a few passes on the JD 214 with the blade.

We got about 2" of snow, then ice pellets, and finally all rain. :thumbs:  Just checked my weather station at the house, 39º and just over 1½ of rain so far since midnight, and very little wind (10 mph).

• JDBrian said thank you

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 03:55 PM

We got about 2" of snow, then ice pellets, and finally all rain. :thumbs:  Just checked my weather station at the house, 39º and just over 1½ of rain so far since midnight, and very little wind (10 mph).

I think that same mess is heading for us tonight. They are still calling for 8" of snow and ice pellets overnight and in the morning tomorrow with rain showers to finish it off. 

#26 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 05:59 PM

The best of both worlds today!  The Craftsman/Berco handled the deep stuff this morning, then this afternoon we got about 4" of wet snow and sleet, with melting underneath from the warmth of the ground.  The Deere 214 with 43 blade did a great job scraping down to the ground.  It left some pretty big banks on the edge of the driveway, which is why I wouldn't do this in December.  One storm and the drive is already looking narrow,

I must confess, I wouldn't be heart broken if this were the last snow removal duty for the year, but it may not be, the weather pattern here is still very active.  I'm already teaching for 3 days past this year's Jimmy Buffett concert.  That concert is supposed mean that school is over!

Edited by ggsteve, March 19, 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#27 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Plowed about 5" of wet stuff mid-morning, sun looked like it would come out and then it snowed like crazy this afternoon with another ½".  That stuff just melted off.  As soon as the phone rings telling me my 1026r is being delivered it will quit snowing for the next 5 years.  You can thank me later.:D

#28 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,406 Thanks
  • 3,156 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 03:19 AM

Well the new skids worked out great, and BOY WAS THIS STUFF YUCK!! HEAVY !! WHOOO DOGGY!! IT was soup under the snow! We had at least 14" until the rain, that brought it back to 10" of wet sticky snow and 2" of slop under it!!

The neighbor next to me had his wife drive his rig while he stood on the blower to keep it down , it was a comedy show LOL . He was not a happy camper . IF I had'nt put my rig all away in his nice warm shed I would have helped him out , but by this time he was tuned right up ....... So I stayed on the hill sledding with my daughter :(  :rolling:

Edited by skyrydr2, March 20, 2013 - 03:22 AM.

#29 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 12:39 PM

We,ve gotten 3" since 8AM and it's still snowing  hard. It's my fault 'cause I took the blade off Suzi yesterday to do some work w/ the winch. I did keep the blade in the garage in case I need to put it back on.

Mike