6 replies to this topic

#1 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:32 PM

I was talking to someone about working on the Suburban and I mentioned that when I had the magneto off cleaning the contacts, the wire came out.  I told them that I pushed it back in but was afraid it would come out some day as it felt a little loose.  They said you need to turn it into the hole because the contact is like a screw and that's what holds it in.  They sugested a replacement and said I need to get a solid core wire, not a carbon core. I found a new wire to replace it.  My question is, "what's a good way to clean that little contact inside the hole before I put the new wire in?"

Thank You,

Robert

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:52 PM

I don't recall any magnetos that the wire comes off. If you are talking about a coil, I just use a small ball shaped brass wire brush that is for cleaning small tubes. I think it was part of an engine cleaning set that Whitney sold years ago. A pencil eraser may work too. Good Luck, Rick

• robert_p43 said thank you

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 09:45 AM

I have also heard of just pushing wire back in hole, but never had experience with it. It does have some type of connector pin sticking up inside the hole. Can't help ya on cleaning.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,219 Thanks
  • 28,590 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 05:15 PM

I assume you are talking aout the little nail like pin that sticks up and the wire is supposed to pierce down over it. the wire coming out has only happened to me a handful of times, but when it did, i made sure there was a quarter inch of spare wire, cut a quarter inch off, put some epoxy othe outside of the wire and shoved it ithere as far as i could.

In the few times I've done it, it has always held up fine unless there was some other damage to the mag.

#5 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Yes, the little pin is what I want to clean so it makes good contact.  The old wire is so dried up, it is stiff and I believe it has actually shrunk to to the point where it would need to be glued in.  It is also very cracked looking the way that old dry rotted tires look.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,219 Thanks
  • 28,590 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 10:32 PM

If the wire is that bad, I would suggest replacement.

Just use non suppression wire. You should be able to get it at a hot rod shop or an old service station may have a spool left from the 60's.

#7 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 07:52 AM

I asked around locally and the kids in the parts stores just stared at me like I had a third eye in the middle of my forhead.  Finally, last week, I went to ebay and someone had one. New, old stock Tecumseh, right part number on the box and solid wire in the center.

• MH81 said thank you