12 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:41 PM

I just bought a older power king its a 51. When i drive the transmiton is kinda growly. Is this noise usual? I changed the oil and it didnt help.

#2 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,153 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:45 PM

I have never owned a Powerking so I can't say for sure but it sounds like the bearings are getting old an worn out. I know that the Farmall cubs are know for having noisy transmissions due to the bearings after all the years of use.

Edited by tacotuesday, March 18, 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:17 PM

I would say its probably bearings or the gears themselves. does it make the noise in all gears or does it go away in 3rd? you could pull the top cover of the trans and inspect the gears. for wear.

#4 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:24 PM

It makes noise in all gears but third. Or atleast its queit enough so i cant hear it.

#5 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:27 PM

They are tough transmissions, but they do wear. A rebuilt one is very quiet.

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Like said, they are VERY strong transmissions, but the bearing do wear out, and that is your problem.

#7 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:22 PM

Likely has or had rain water enter through the top from a bad shifter boot.  If that's the case [and it usually is] the bearings are rusted enough to growl.  Those bearings are common and available through your local auto parts store.   If the gears are pitted deep you will have to put up with a noisey tranny unless you know someone that can cut new gears.   The gears are NLA.

Good Luck.  :wave:

• Bob IN said thank you

#8 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Being quiet in 3rd, the most likely suspect would be the bearng between the input shaft and the output shaft. It is loose rollers inside the back of the input shaft and rides on the output shaft. The second would be the input bearing. This transmission is the Borg Warner T-92 and was used in the Crosley car. The transmission is actually still being produced here in Ohio by Olympic Gear but they're pricey. Good used transmissions are available fairly regularly.

#9 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Likely has or had rain water enter through the top from a bad shifter boot.  If that's the case [and it usually is] the bearings are rusted enough to growl.  Those bearings are common and available through your local auto parts store.   If the gears are pitted deep you will have to put up with a noisey tranny unless you know someone that can cut new gears.   The gears are NLA.

Good Luck.  :wave:

All the parts are available NEW . This is one of several places.

http://speedextracto...x_files/t92.htm

• Gtractor said thank you

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 05:44 AM

I think DougT is correct , if you would like I have a PK trans apart that I could take pictures of the parts he's talking about , Al

#11 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Figured I would post a few pictures  of the input and output shaft needle bearings .First is a close-up of the output shaft showing all the pits ,middle shows the input upper left a few needle bearings and the output lower right , they fit together with the needle bearings between them ,bottom is the output  again Sorry the batteries went dead before I could get better/more pictures , Al

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 07:54 PM

Figured I would post a few pictures  of the input and output shaft needle bearings .First is a close-up of the output shaft showing all the pits ,middle shows the input upper left a few needle bearings and the output lower right , they fit together with the needle bearings between them ,bottom is the output  again Sorry the batteries went dead before I could get better/more pictures , Al

Attached Thumbnails

• RSCN0167.JPG
  • DSCN0158.JPG
  • DSCN0164.JPG

• Bob IN said thank you

#13 WOOS1 ONLINE  

WOOS1
  • Member No: 12485
  • 25 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 05:57 AM

I was glad to read this post. I have a PK that has developed an "angry" front transmission. I'll have to try third gear. I suspect water from the P/O. So if it is not quiet in 3rd gear, then it is likely a gear issue?

Also, I have another dual transmission P/K where the rear trans will not stay in gear. Keeps jumping out. What is the likely issue with that? Thanks!