Garden Tractor Forums banner

Jd 112 And Johnson 12 Loader?

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  dustnrust 
#1 ·
I've been reading here for a few weeks now, a recent CL find got me to finally sign up.

I'm in need of some advice on whether or not to put a loader on my JD112 which

I've been slowly restoring.

What brought this idea about was that I found a Bolens 1250 on CL with a Johnson 12 loader on it, the owner says he thinks it originally came from a John Deere, but he's not sure what model.

My question is, how universal is a loader attachment?

No doubt the brackets on the Bolens are useless to me but how much hassle would it be to put the loader on the 112? The Bolens is complete but hasn't run in years, the loader appears to be in decent shape. My thought is to buy the whole tractor, swap over the loader and sell off the Bolens.
The guy wants $2000 for the tractor and loader, its in great shape but has sat for decades in a garage.

What did the brackets look like for a Johnson model 12 on a JD 112? Are they something I could fabricate? How was the pump driven? On the Bolens they have a bracket on the right frame that holds the pump, which is driven off the belt drive for the generator, but the JD don't have the same arrangement.

I priced several other used loaders and see most selling for $1500 and up, so my thoughts are that if I buy the whole tractor, I should be able to move the tractor alone for at least another $500, maybe more and keep the loader for my JD.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum! I'm not a JD guy, so I can't help with your questions. Post up some pics if you have them. Plenty of Bolens and JD folk about.

#3 ·
The Deere should have a similar arrangement, belt driven off the right side, just turned 90 degrees so the belt is running parallel with the loader arms. Is your 112 a square or round fender?

Supply (not much) and demand (everyone wants a loader) kind of set the price, but I think 2 grand for a non-running Bolens 1250 with a loader is nuts. If the tractor is complete, and you can get it running, I don't think you will get $500 for it if you tried to sell it by itself. Maybe if there was a mower deck and a plow or snowblower included, then yes. By itself? Bare tractor? Better to part it out, more $$.

#4 ·
Welcome to GTT. It will take some work to fabricate the parts. The 12 loader may be too heavy duty for the JD. If you can get the guy down to a more reasonable $1200 and get the 1250 going you would be better off to leave it intact and use it as designed. I have 2 1250s and they are my favorite tractors. A not running large frame Bolens is usually $200 to $400 around here. a loader is $1000 and up. Use the JD for mowing and the Bolens for heavy work. Look around and enjoy the site. Good Luck, Rick

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I would also think the Bolens is a bit high in a non-running condition. If it is powered by a Kohler K series I would expect it would take little work to revive the K.

As for the loader swap, (I my opinion) a 112 would be less than ideal for loader work. I would go with a 140 or 300 series (hydrostatic drive) if I were to try to swap it to another machine.

#8 ·
The Deere should have a similar arrangement, belt driven off the right side, just turned 90 degrees so the belt is running parallel with the loader arms. Is your 112 a square or round fender?

Supply (not much) and demand (everyone wants a loader) kind of set the price, but I think 2 grand for a non-running Bolens 1250 with a loader is nuts. If the tractor is complete, and you can get it running, I don't think you will get $500 for it if you tried to sell it by itself. Maybe if there was a mower deck and a plow or snowblower included, then yes. By itself? Bare tractor? Better to part it out, more $$.
:ditto:

#9 ·
That 1250 Bolens is a powerhouse of a tractor. And It is a large-frame Bolens. Bigger all around than your 112. If you can't get the Wisconsin motor going in it (which is also one heck of a good motor) you can motor swap and use the 1250. There is also a tiller out there that fits that Bolens....They had the best tillers.

#11 ·
The Bolens is priced high but its pretty clean, it looks to have been parked in a garage a long time ago and just stored all these years. It don't look like its had much use. Its dusty but not abused if you know what I mean.

While I'd love to get it for cheap, I couldn't imagine selling it any cheaper if it were mine. I've seen rough machines with loaders go for over $1500, running or not. I don't suppose it would take much to make the Bolens run, more than likely its no more than a carb cleaning and clean the points to get it to fire up.

I'm just not into Bolens, I've been slowly piecing this 112 together, sanding, stripping, and repainting it as I go. By the time its done it'll be good as new.

#13 ·
..........................a new equivalent tractor would be over $10,000....................
That's mainly how I'm looking at it, but the hydrostatic Bolens don't interest me at all. I like the idea of the JD with a loader though if it'll hold up under it.

I thought about just buying a new loader but the new stuff don't look as heavy and would look way out of place on an older machine. I'm sure the Bolens would be worth at least $500 if not more to someone who wants one?

I just emailed a guy on CL that had a 1250 with no attachments listed for $1700, it was sold already, it was listed as running but is said it needed carb work, a battery, and some wiring to get it to start. I have no idea what it really sold for but it didn't last more than a day on CL.

The one I'm looking at isn't directly listed on CL, he had something else listed and I happened to notice it in his garage when I went to pick up some other items. I'm not sure if he's actively trying to sell the Bolens or not but gave me the $2K price.

If the Bolens was a manual trans with a normal clutch, I'd have already dragged it home.

#14 ·
That's mainly how I'm looking at it, but the hydrostatic Bolens don't interest me at all. I like the idea of the JD with a loader though if it'll hold up under it.

I thought about just buying a new loader but the new stuff don't look as heavy and would look way out of place on an older machine. I'm sure the Bolens would be worth at least $500 if not more to someone who wants one?

I just emailed a guy on CL that had a 1250 with no attachments listed for $1700, it was sold already, it was listed as running but is said it needed carb work, a battery, and some wiring to get it to start. I have no idea what it really sold for but it didn't last more than a day on CL.

The one I'm looking at isn't directly listed on CL, he had something else listed and I happened to notice it in his garage when I went to pick up some other items. I'm not sure if he's actively trying to sell the Bolens or not but gave me the $2K price.

If the Bolens was a manual trans with a normal clutch, I'd have already dragged it home.
He's on hell of a lucky guy if he sold it for that.

#15 ·
With attachments such as FEL, tiller, grader, and dirt plow the hydrostatic is very nice. You don't have to use your hands to change direction nor speed. Its all with the foot pedal. Toe forward you go forward, the farther forward the faster. Heel forward you go backward. It leaves your hands free to operate the attachments. It also has hydrolic lift for the heavy attachments. Good Luck, Rick

The carb rebuilding kit for mine was $21 last year at NAPA.

#16 ·
I called NAPA here and they wanted $85 for the carb kit and told me it would take 2 to 3 days to get.

I got a better price from a small engine shop, who quoted me $35. The carb on the 1250 is a Zenith.

The guy had it fired up on carb cleaner sprayed in the carb with a jump start, but the tank smelled like bad gas and I'd assume the carb was the same.

On the plus side, he said he had a clean gas tank that goes with it.

I was shocked at what they wanted for a set of points, the local shop wanted $25 for the points and $9 for a condenser. Add another $3 for a plug. I'll clean or file the points til their gone for those prices.

Prices like that basically made me walk away. For a bit more I can just buy a good used newer diesel, maybe even something bigger.

I really don't want Hydrostatic drive, I don't like the idea of having to run the motor full speed all the time for everything. I had a newer JD with a hydro and hated it. The only thing I wish the 112 didn't have is a belt drive to the trans. But only early hydro models were shaft driven that I've seen.

Most older tractors bring big bucks here, its hard to find anything under a grand, and for that it's not likely going to be running.

I had the chance to buy a Case 444, its motor had thrown a rod, the guy wanted $500 for the thing without the deck or wheels, he had the wheels listed for a grand in another ad, the tractor sold before I could get there, and he upped the price on the wheels. They sold within the week. The rear tires were ag type, the fronts were original turf type.

I sold the original tires off my 112 last fall after installing new Carlisle Turf tires, I got $100 for the old tires, The new tires only cost me $150 with shipping for the whole set two years ago. The old tires were ok but starting to leak through the sidewall cracks.

The guy who bought them said all they needed was tubes.
I also sold the old hood, with a tattered front edge for $75. The new hood was an auction find for $25 but I had to change the decals from 140 to 112.

I had a new old stock yellow JD hood that sold for $400 at a local auction. I was only expecting it to sell for $40 to $50 or so.

The only thing I wish my 112 had was factory headlights but I'm not paying $150 or more for a set like I've seen them bring online.

Who mows in the dark anyway?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.