• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FGColonel OFFLINE  

FGColonel
  • Member No: 30702
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hi guys, Brand new to the forum. I have looked through existing post  but could not find exactly what I need. I have a

G-100 that I bought new in 2001.  I am now considering parting the tractor out to recoupe what I  can. It has  325 hours and the second tranmission is now out.  (will not pull when warm) the engine  smokes like crazy and will use about a qt of oil every other mowing.I mow about 2.5 acres.  I try to maintain my equiment  well but after research, this seems to be more the norm for this tractor. Most other components like the 54" deck, hood, body,Tires and  wheels, steering wheel etc are in good  shape. My question is ... Is there a chart available telling me what the individual parts may be compatable with? Expecially the deck since it seems to be the single most costly  item. If anyone has any ideas other  than parting it out I am open to all sugestions. Thaks for your help.

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 10:43 PM

:welcometogttalk: Pics?

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 12:34 AM

:ditto:

#4 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:41 AM

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:05 AM

:welcometogttalk:  And as you can see, we love pictures!

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:50 AM

Welcome to forums!  Your best chance might be to sell the parts (deck in particular) locally on Craigslist. 

Compatibility charts are hard to come by for anything unless you are a dealer.  If you have an IPL for your G-100 and access to Deere's dealership parts look up system, you could get machine used on (MUO) info by plugging in each part number.

Try this: https://jdparts.deere.com/  I don't use this very often, but it might help you.

Ben W.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:07 AM

:welcometogttalk:
Sorry to hear its giving you problems. I think you probably on the right track, but this is a brand I don't know a Ton about. Hope one of the JD guys chime in and offer their advice.

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:04 AM

Welcome to GTT. Do a search on CL and another on epay for an idea of what they go for. Good Luck, Rick

#9 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:24 AM

Welcome!

I did an eBay search and there is NOT a deck listed for the tractor in question.  You might consider just listing the entire machine on Craigslist and being done with it...

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:26 AM

Welcome!

I did an eBay search and there is NOT a deck listed for the tractor in question.  You might consider just listing the entire machine on Craigslist and being done with it...

I think travis is offering good advice! Those G100 were sold at Home Depot only up here in canada and I don't think there are many of them out there. They were a light duty garden tractor and not built as strong as the GT or GX tractors sold at the JD dealers. I'd list it as is and see what offers you get! The deck may be compatible with the larger L series tractors that were sold in the same time period. If you check on jdparts.com you may be able to find out where the deck was used other than on your 100.

#11 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:48 AM

Playing around on www.jdparts.com yielded this part number for the deck shell:  GY20622

If you go to this page and "search by part number" and enter GY20622 you can get an idea what the deck will fit.

https://jdparts.deer...ts.HomeUnsigned

My guess is the deck will be your money maker on this machine.  To me it looks like the deck was used on many different tractors from the same period.  A quick CL and ebay search through www.searchtempest.com in the US did not turn up any of these decks or tractors.

• olcowhand and FGColonel have said thanks

#12 FGColonel OFFLINE  

FGColonel
  • Member No: 30702
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the advise. I will post a pic in the next couple days.  I bought the machine at the local JD Dealer here in KY. It was highly advertised and highly touted when they came out. This was my second Deere. The first was a much smaller 185 that I used for 18 years. It was still doing a great job when I gave it to a brother-in law in need. Thinking  it would be nice to have a little larger tractor I purchased the G-100. The transmission went out at 127 hrs.  The warrenty (i thiink ) was for 125hrs and the local dealer would not help at all. which was a little disturbing. At that time it was about a $800.00 fix.  Right after that I started noticing smoking  when i first started it up. I was told the fix was so expensive that it was best to just use it and watch the oil level closly. I have  done this for nearly the life of ther machine. It still had plenty of power and cut great when the transmission starting slipping  about half way through cut.  I let it cool down and finished the cut. The next time I was on the tractor it would do ok on a flat surface but would not pull itself onto a trailer.. The cost for a new transmission and lobor was estimated  over $1400.00  I just have trouble putting that much into a 13 year old tractor that would still have a suspect engine. Checking other forums I have to believe both of these problem are very common to this particular machine.  I may take the advise and put it on CL for what I can get. 

#13 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 03:59 PM

I see the engine is a Kohler.  Part of me wonders if it is something simple like rings causing the smoking.  My research says head gasket.  Sounds like a real lemon to me. :wallbanging:

Edited by Trav1s, March 18, 2013 - 04:35 PM.