13 replies to this topic

#1 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Today I got my ss12 running, it has no carb or muffler on it right now. Since it is going to be my next project, and I don't have enough bolts cleaned up to put more back together. I decided to see if it had spark and if it would start. I was told that it had sat for about two years and looked like it had been sitting for a lot longer. The previous owner parked it because the deck belt broke and he never fixed it, then he took the right hub off of it for another one of his tractors. The switch on it is rotted out so I hooked cables to it and the ground to another tractor of mine. I tested to see if it had spark, it had much better spark than I thought it would and got a few good zaps before I managed to get the cable off. I poured gas down the sparkplug hole and covered the intake with my hand. I hooked the cable to the terminal, it cranked a few times and fired right up. I'm happy that it fires that easy and sad that I couldn't have it run longer.

Attached Thumbnails

• 102_0704.JPG
  • 102_0705.JPG

• Gtractor, hamman, CRFarnsworth and 3 others have said thanks

#2 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:03 PM

I have started s few tractors that way,sure is a beatiful sound when it fires the first time.

#3 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Sweet!

#4 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:38 PM

It was loud since it didn't have any sort of pipe on it. It was getting dark too so you could see the flames shooting out since it was running so rich. At least now I know I don't have to worry about it running when I go to restore it, probably going to be this summer.

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:11 AM

Good deal!

I have used a spray bottle with gasoline and spray it directly into a manifold (no carb) and start them....I have had a few run for a short time while I keep spraying fuel into it.

• robert_p43 said thank you

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:13 AM

Glad it started up easily. I'd bolt a carb on there and let it run a little longer just to be sure no other issues show up.

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:54 AM

Nothing better than hearing it run for the first time!  It means you've got potential!  Kenny is right: I would get the carburetor polished up and put it back together before you do the restoration. 

I always to the mechanical work first on a tractor, put it back together, and run it for awhile before doing a paint job for two reasons: (1) is that it helps diagnose leaks or overlooked problems, and (2) its fun to use it for a week or two before you have to worry about keeping the paint nice!

Now you know that you made a great purchase!

Ben W.

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:11 AM

Glad you got it to fire.  I got my Suburban 10 to pop just twice and it has been sitting for a few months since.  I never got it inside to work on and slowly bought needed parts.  It had weak spark but I think I now have everything to fix that problem.

Good deal!

I have used a spray bottle with gasoline and spray it directly into a manifold (no carb) and start them....I have had a few run for a short time while I keep spraying fuel into it.

That sounds like a good idea!

Robert

#9 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:39 AM

I plan of putting the carb back on, but first I need a new float for it because there is a huge hole in the top of it. Then I need to put another hub on it form my parts suburban. When I get my current project done, I will worry about getting it running good. Until then, it runs and that's what matters. And its a great project for the price I got it for.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:52 AM

good to hear it has spark and will fire. :thumbs:

Check the ignition set up, if it has the SSI module on it, make sure you have the correct ignition switch, don't want to send a positive 12+ to that module and fry it= $$$$$ 

• suburban 12 said thank you

#11 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 01:19 PM

good to hear it has spark and will fire. :thumbs:

Check the ignition set up, if it has the SSI module on it, make sure you have the correct ignition switch, don't want to send a positive 12+ to that module and fry it= $$$$$ 

It has points and condenser, its a 67. Kind of nice because I know that the SSI modules can cost more than the tractor.

• TAHOE said thank you

#12 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:32 PM

That's great that you got it running. It's always fun to bring something back to life that some one has left for dead.

#13 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Does anyone know how hard it is to patch a hole in a float? I'm either going  to need to patch it or find a new one.

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 04:31 AM

Is it a brass/copper float? I usually just add a dab of solder to them to plug the hole.