• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Last fall I borrowed a mini excavator from a friend, and posted about it HERE. On Wednesday, I gave Harry a call and asked to borrow the machine; he told me he would drop it off the next day. I was expecting to get home from school and see it sittingin the yard waiting for me... it was not. I knew there was a reason, and would not just blow me off, so Iwaited for him to call me. Yesterday morning he called and said a well line broke someplace and needed to be fixed ASAP, and he would bring it in the next day or two. Today he was backing into the driveway with the excavator in tow on a trailer. He said it could stay at my house until he needed it again, or until I ran out of gas; then he paused and said with a grin "or until you get bored with it." :rolling:

He left and I hopped right on so I could go dig a few drains to get rid of some flooding, and take a tree out of the stream, after a while it would have dammed it.

Here is the tree that had fallen into the water a month ago or so.

31167491-CD14-4E19-92BE-AA4C68312933-318

It came out pretty easy, I just had to drag it some, cut off about 6 feet, drag it again, cut off 6 feet, and repeat untill it was out. I will go back out once the wood has dried off and cut it up for firewood.

608E6F0A-FED9-4C68-8DFD-5605FDE290F0-318

Digging the few drains only took a few minutes, combined the tree and drains took about an hour and a half.

Right now, my prtable garage is in a pretty bad spot; it takes up a lot of space and although it is not in the middle of my back yard, it is close. I plan to dig out a large section of a hill bordeing one side of the yard this summer. Until then, I decided to dig out one small spot to get the garage moved at least a little.

Before I could start digging, I had to cut down two trees, both maple. The first tree was about 6 inches wide and came down easily. The next was about 15 inches wide. For the second tree it was a tight spot to fall it, but I thought I could do it. I have had a Ropar RT-16 belonging to neighbor Dave's dad at my house since last summer for repairs; it was to one side of where I was going to fall the tree. I should have moved the tractor, but I had been outside since 7:30 so I was beond worn out, and I had only been eating frozen grapes throughout the day, so I was hungry. Those two things triggered an arrogance and laziness that caused me to ill think, and I left the tractor. I had put a come-a-long high in the tree and pulled it as much as I could in the direction I wanted it to go. The tree started to fall in the right direction, but since trees always grow as they fall... it rubbed branches with the anchor tree and was pushed onto the Ropar, as well as a bunch of other stuff I had there. No damage was done... except to the steering wheel, which I could have straightened out.

After the tree had fallen, I cut off the small branches, and  shortened a few main ones. I then went to get the excator so I could move the tree off the tractor, and call it a day. I had not cut enough of the tree up and it was still to heavy for the excavator's grip, so it fell again... back onto the Ropar. This time is bent the steering wheel staight over, damages the hood some, and bent the seat bracket.

After damaging the tractor twice, I cut the tree up agian, and finally got it off of the tractor. Once it was off, I shut the machine down right there, grabbed my saw and went inside. I decided I had enough excitement for the day.

• daytime dave, KennyP, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:52 PM

Sorry to hear about the damage to the Ropar.  All in all, it sounds like you learned some valuable lessons with all your seat time.

• Ryan313 and larryd have said thanks

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Ryan, I'm awfully sorry to hear about the accident with your tractor.  Please take the incident to heart and remember to be more careful as you get tired.  BUT...you had a FUN DAY!

Edited by HowardsMF155, March 17, 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Speaking of stupid chainsaw accidents, see my avatar.  Yes, that is most of a tree sitting on the chain break.  I needed a 2 ton hydraulic jack to get the saw back.  Just like you, I was hungry & in a rush.

chainsaw under tree.JPG

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:20 PM

Sorry to here about the Roper Ryan. I am glad you had a productive day though.

I think most of us on here have had some kind of miss hap at one time or another due to the fact of being tired,hungry or in a rush. I am just glad that you didn't get hurt! Good luck tomorrow.

#6 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:41 PM

My dad and I and my neighbor cut 27 tall pine trees surrounding my yard border. I had a Dodge 4x4 with a winch on it we used to pull the trees the direction we wanted . All went well except one . I short guessed the height of one and it brushed the front of my truck . A few scratches and a dent about the size of a pencil on the hood . I'm glad I was in the cab with control.

larryd

• Ryan313 said thank you

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 10:35 PM

That could have really been bad. Easy enough to fix a tractor, hard to fix a person.
  • Ryan313 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:19 AM

Glad you had a little fun and didn't get hurt. You can repair the GT.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:08 AM

Sorry to hear of the damaged tractor! Trees do get a mind of their own when falling.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:18 AM

Ryan, that's a lesson we all have to learn on our own and some times re learn again and again. Being tired and continuing to work is a big safety risk.  Being in a hurry is also a big risk but is very tempting. The laws of physics will prevail no matter what we want to happen.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Today I was able to clean up the mess I had made yesterday. I got all of the brush cleared out if the way. The tree is in 5-10 foot sections, the hydraulic thumb on the excavator made it very easy to stack the logs neatly and out of the way.

Being that it is going to snow tonight, I had to put the snow plow on the four wheeler. The plow was hit by the falling tree; it was standing up on the blade and it looked like it was just nocked over with no damage. When I got the branches cleared off today I saw that was not the case. The lift lever had a pretty good size bend in it. The lift rod is a solid 1" bar and took quite a bit of heat. After several tried I got it back to where it should be. Just as I finished putting the plow on, it bargain to snow.

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 10:59 AM

We got about 5 inches of wet so far, it stopped coming down so I went to plow. Then when I finished it started to snow again! Another 1-3 inches. I am not sure how much I will be able to use it with the snow on the ground, but I did play with it a little bit.

314C2E63-F419-46CC-8829-29A9E6AC7615-332

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 03:45 PM

Yesterday, I spent an hour and a half digging where I took the tree down; it started to become a mud put so I had to stop.

Today, I spent an hour digging there. I did not have gloves on, and that was all the time my hands could deal with.

#14 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 04:04 PM

Sounds like fun! Send it my way when your done playing :D

• Ryan313 said thank you

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 06:24 PM

After I posted my last comment, I looked out my window and there it was... the excavator, staring at me. I could not resist so I went back out after I could move my fingers again and started digging once more. I just came in, and the only reason I came in is because the sun was going down, and I needed time to get the mud out of the tracks.

The part I am stuck on now, is removing the stump of the tree I took down, and a stump right next to it. They both have lots of roots, to make it worse there is a LOT of shale there. I have dug about 75 % around the two stumps; it is very slow going. What I really need, is a stick of dynamite. :D

While dealing with the rocks, I remembered that my Dad had tried to dig out that area with a rental termite when I was about 8. He gave up, because of all the rocks in his way. I think the I am able to (slowly) dig away at because the excavator has a thumb, and I am a better operator. :smilewink: