61 replies to this topic

#61 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 11:58 AM

Wrapped up the potatoes a few days ago.  Used the Massey with a furrower to act as a "middle-buster" to go down the row, then used a rake to sift through the dirt for the rest of the potaotes.  This it the one really good row I had, with only red Pontiac potatoes in it.  Got a "baby diaper box" full of potatoes LOL!!

GE 001.JPG GE 002.JPG

GE 005.JPG

The green beans are still bearing a bit.  The tomatoes grew huge, but very little fruit set, still not sure why.GE 006.JPG GE 007.JPG

Still have the yellow onions to pull and dry.  Never have grown them before, but I know my wife likes them and I'm starting to.  I'll have to find a place to hang and dry them soon I suppose.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#62 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:00 PM

With most of the garden dying off, the weeds are having a field day in my garden.  Can't have that, so I brought out the Gravely 5460 and used the bush hog to mow done the corn stalks and turn everything to mulch.  Then I used my Massey 12 G and plowed about 2/3rds of it.  The plow did a really good job of burying the surface trash the bush hog left.  When I finished, I cleaned the dirt off the plow and put a coat of paint on so it won't rust over the winter.

Ge 003.JPG Ge 006.JPG

Also pulled up all of my (few) onions.  I suppose about 2/3 of them lived, and they grew to a nice size, about the size of a golf ball.  

001.JPG

Now to wait and see if the tomatoes ever do anything.

Almost forgot, Son1 wanted to run the Gravely with bush hog, so I let him.  He got about 20 feet away and got the skid caught on a metal stake, which the tractor promptly pushed over and began to run down.  I wasn't too upset about that, accidents happen, but I'm really wondering where his mind was that the tractor ran over all 4 foot of pole before he stopped it-and it was in slow gear.  Only damage was to the pole, and after I assured him that accidents happen, I just want him to react more quickly next time, he finished cutting there and another spot that needed whacking.

GE 007.JPG GE 010.JPG

• oldedeeres said thank you