coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 11:49 PM

I have yellow clay,not the good red clay. Water just sits on it and doesnt get absorbed. I have only used the lower garden 3 times, this being the third. I havent really worked it like the upper garden. The upper garden has been worked for 5 continuous years and really shows it, untill you get down about 12 inches, then its just hard packed yellow clay. I have not added anything to the soil except lime and fertilizer, but by plowing everything under every year the soil has become good for gardening.

At the end of the season this year,I might get a load or two of manure spread on the lower garden. I think working that into it will make a huge difference.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#47 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 08:24 AM

The manure will make HUGE improvements!   If the manure isn't composted, it'll do far better if you pile it up along with all the plant material you can & just let it sit & rot a few months.  The pile will shrink, making it look like you're losing, but you'll be gaining much more than you lose.  If you can add a little nitrogen into the pile, it'll speed the process.  

#48 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Went out late today to look at the garden, found some things are moving a bit faster than I would have thought.  The corn is both silking and tasselling.

GEDC0054.JPG GEDC0055.JPG

The cucumbers are doing very well, in fact I'm starting to get a few.  Mostly we will use these for pickles.

GEDC0052.JPG GEDC0062.JPG

The potatoes are standing tall, and are fairly free of potato beetles this year, unlike some previous years.

GEDC0053.JPG

Tomato plants are mixed, one is doing well, the other just looks stunted.  It's growing, but not well.

GEDC0051.JPG

The butter beans and onions ( a first for me) are doing well in the 'planter box' next to the fence.  I think this 'planter box' concept will work out well with the right crops, I had my doubts after last years potato crop was planted there.

GEDC0056.JPG GEDC0057.JPG

Last, but dearest to me, is a plant I managed to transplant from my father's house after he died.  This is a flame lily, it was an abundant flower at Christmas when I was growing up, it literally grew wild by the side of the road.  I dug up 4 plants, trying to get the bulb, and this is the only one that I know has survived.

GEDC0060.JPG

• olcowhand, sacsr and twostep have said thanks

#49 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Need some pictures, but the wife has run off with the camera,  I cautiously ventured into the mud pit that is my garden after 4-5 days of rain, and found the corn silks are already starting to brown in places.  Spotted one ear with mostly brown silk, pulled it and ate half the ear before I came back inside!  Could have been left on a few days longer, but it was very sweet and I was happy to have it.

• sacsr and twostep have said thanks

#50 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 04:36 PM

The corn came in!  The first little patch we planted yeilded about one hundred ears.  We've had some fresh and will be blanching and freezing much of the rest.  Of course, as my wife says, serving six people at a time means it really isn't all that much corn!

GE 005.JPG GE 004.JPG

Turns out I had a bad stand of butterbeans early this year, but was confused and thought it was string beans.  So I replanted the butter bean area with string beans.  Now I have twice the beans I need, well I suppose the neighbors will get some.  The onions seem to be doing Ok, though I've never grown them before, hope my wife ends up enjoying them.  Still no tomatoes, and the potatos are starting to yellow a bit.

• olcowhand, Alc, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#51 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Looks good enough to eat. You ought to be getting a second batch off the corn with your grow season, won't you?

We're about a month behind you, maybe as soon as 2 weeks to first corn, but that looks really good.

#52 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 05:12 PM

I've got a second stand of corn that was planted about 2 weeks after what is coming in now.  It is tasselling now and I would expect to get another equal size crop from it, though if the rain stops I want to spray the silks with some BT to keep the corn ear worms away.  I'll try a second planting once I clean all the ears off what is standing now.  I did get a second crop last year, but the first crop was started MUCH earlier than this one.  If I had the room, I'd plant small stands every two or three weeks just so I could have a small supply of corn all summer, not have to freeze what comes in excess.

• MH81 said thank you

#53 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Speaking of planting multiples, does anyone know how small you can plant and still get decent pollination?  I always plant 4 rows across, and half the garden is 25 to 30 feet.  How much can I shorten the rows and still get good pollination?

#54 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 06:28 PM

Howard, what I read is the minimum plot is just 4x4 feet, so you won't have an issue.  I know I've had sections 10 x 10' that did great.

#55 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 06:56 PM

So I can shorten my rows to around 15 feet and get between 3 and 4 different crop harvests in.

#56 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 06:28 AM

Dug a few potatoes out yesterday.  Plants are starting to die back, but I'm not really ready to harvest.  They tasted really good cut up and boiled with butter and salt!GE 004.JPG

• sacsr said thank you

#57 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:18 AM

Dug one row of potatoes today.  This is the row where hardly anything sprouted, the Yukon Golds.  I probably got about 10-15 lbs of potatoes out of it.  Used a form of middlebuster with my Brinly cultivator.  I'm not sure this adaptor is standard, or if some previous owner jury rigged it.  I'm not wild about how far back it is, makes it really hard to keep it in the middle of the row, otherwise it worked great.  I added some weight really quickly to see if it would help it to dig better, and it did.

GEDC0051.JPG GEDC0052.JPG

Some days I love those HVAC zip straps!

I meant to get a vid, but my two boys were shucking the second batch of corn.

Speaking of corn, our second stand has come in.  We pulled somewhere in excess of one hundred ears this morning.  My wife has gone to get some ice, then she'll blanch and freeze a lot of it, though I'm trying to convince her to freeze it WITHOUT the cob.

The tomato plants have never given any fruit at all.  We only had two, and only the one did anything, the other just stayed stunted.

The cucumbers grew pretty good, but again, didn't bear much.  Got enough for salads, but never enough to pickle.  Good thing we have some pickles left from last year.  

I think the onions are about the only thing left that I'm still waiting for.  I'm surprized at how well they seem to be doing, it will be fun to eat some fresh onions.

• olcowhand and sacsr have said thanks

#58 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 10:19 AM

With two good rows of potatoes to harvest, I'm wondering how to store them.  How does everyone else store there potatoes.?

#59 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 12:33 PM

I've heard from several people around me that their gardens didn't do well. I think mine has done quite well with the non-scorching heat and plenty of rain... some of my melons are actually starting to rot a litte due to the ground being so wet... Another lesson learned.

#60 mavtoy OFFLINE  

mavtoy
  • Member No: 37269
  • 72 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 05:56 PM

Great video of You plowing with the 12 looks like its working good :)