61 replies to this topic

#16 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Also took a few minutes to take some pictures of the Gravely that traveled round trip to Zambia with Dad.  I know Dad was thinking about abandoning the gravely overseas rather than packing it.  I pleaded with him to save it and bring it back to the states.  I knew it would be a great project for the four of us (He and I and two of my older boys) but about the time I felt my boys were getting old enough to really dig into a project of that scope, he became ill and there just wasn't any time for anything else for the next year and a half.  Hopefully, once the house gets sold, I finish school and get a full time job, there will be time to return it to running condition.  As the picture shows, it is a model with the oil bath air filter, and the mower deck it the 4 bolt style with the small fill plug.

Day at dads 069.JPG

Day at dads 068.JPG

• sacsr and twostep have said thanks

#17 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Is that what you call a T head engine?

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Is that what you call a T head engine?

Yes, this if the T head engine.  This particular engine is rated at either 5 or 6.6 horsepower as it has the older style slanted plug.  Unfortunately, this tractor was one Dad traded for just before he went overseas.  Dad originally used an early "L" model that HIS father had purchased for use on the family farm.  Dad wanted to trade in the used one for another one that was already rebuilt.  This was at a Gravely Dealer in the Roanoke Virginia area.  

I strongly suspect it was a 5 hp engine as the trade-in occurred sometime around 1971.  At that time, even the 6.6 engine had not been out long enough for very many to be needing rebuilds.

The distinctions I know of are, oil bath air filter, plumbed in bypass filter, and six bolt hubs rather than the 3 bolt hubs that were used later, and a trycock to check the transmission oil level.

• DH1 said thank you

#19 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Ok, got the videos loaded in now.  They are in the original posts made this evening.

Edited by HowardsMF155, April 06, 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#20 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Got a bit more work done in the garden today.  My day went kinda like this: 

Got up at 6:30, had a bit to eat, worked on Linux homework that is due Wednesday.  Solved all but one issue with incorrect or missing instructions in online class.  Finished around 10:00 am.

Start reading Windows Server book.  Finished that chapter around noon, broke for lunch.  Went back to Server class, took online test.  HELLO!  Why is the test asking me about Remote Desktop Server and the book is teaching me about Terminal Services!! :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:

Spent an hour answering 25 questions (how MANY extra MB of memory DOES it take for a server to run Terminal Services...er, Remote Desktop?)

By 3:00 I was sick and tired of computer related stuff, so I called it quits and headed out into a beautiful Carolina day, sunny and 72!

Installed some barbell weights on the front of the Massey, then did some discing in the garden to see how she handles.  Happy to report that the extra weight DOES add steering authority.  

#21 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 09:55 PM

GEDC0027.JPG

Here is a picture of my disc, I was using it in my garden, partly to check how the front end how the front end handled with extra weight, and partly because the weeds are sprouting!  I wasn't really happy with the way the single gang disc was working though, so I turned my attention to an old David Bradley disc I had lying around. After some work, I was able to turn it around so I had a working two gang disc.

GEDC0030.JPG GEDC0031.JPG

I was really happy with the way the second gang dug in.  You can see that the discs are buried almost to the axles, even with no extra weight.  It really loosened and pulverized the soil down several inches, giving a very nice seedbed.  

GEDC0033.JPG

The extra discs really put a load on the tractor.  The engine began to labor in second as I turned the varidrive up to it's fastest setting.

• KennyP, sacsr, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#22 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 06:28 AM

It looks to be working real good. Bet it's a bear to turn around and go the other way though!

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#23 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 09:49 PM

I'm starting to think I won't be able to get a garden in this year!  After my last post I haven't had any time to get in the garden and some noxious grasses have popped up!  I thought I could get away with just discing, but I dug down around some of those grasses and they are rooted pretty far down.  So, instead of spending any time planting today, I plowed again to make sure I uprooted the weeds.  But now I'm headed into finals, and just don't see having time to plant for another week or more.

#24 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:16 AM

I like the way you got yours buried up to the axle. It looks like it did a great job for you.

I just got my garden put in yesterday. Between all the rain and everything else I just hadnt had time to get out there. I did expand the garden too, an extra 22 rows. I think you will be fine waiting another week or two to plant, we do have a long growing season.

#25 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:27 PM

More studying today, but had to put one of my sons in "detention" so this afternoon I took some time to go outside and lay off a couple of rows in the garden, then had him start planting.  He planted corn, potatoes, and some butterbeans and pole beans.  Rest of the family went to the zoo and left us behind.  Sooner or later that boy will learn to be civilized and polite, or there will be consequences.

#26 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 10:42 PM

...had to put one of my sons in "detention" ...He planted corn, potatoes, and some butterbeans and pole beans...Sooner or later that boy will learn to be civilized and polite, or there will be consequences.

heck, that was normal daily requirements when I was coming up... good job though. I think we are raising a bunch of weak sissies these days. All I hear of as punishment these days is taking a kids iphone away for a couple of hours. If I screwed up I had to sit in my room with just books. No music, and no toys  (and of course no TV)... come to think of it, that is how I spent the majority of my 4th grade year.

#27 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 09:30 AM

More studying today, but had to put one of my sons in "detention" so this afternoon I took some time to go outside and lay off a couple of rows in the garden, then had him start planting.  He planted corn, potatoes, and some butterbeans and pole beans.  Rest of the family went to the zoo and left us behind.  Sooner or later that boy will learn to be civilized and polite, or there will be consequences.

Some of us never really learn to be civilized and polite. The best that can be done is to work us until we're too tired to get into much trouble.

• HowardsMF155 and twostep have said thanks

#28 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 10:10 AM

heck, that was normal daily requirements when I was coming up... good job though. I think we are raising a bunch of weak sissies these days. All I hear of as punishment these days is taking a kids iphone away for a couple of hours. If I screwed up I had to sit in my room with just books. No music, and no toys  (and of course no TV)... come to think of it, that is how I spent the majority of my 4th grade year.

While I initially disapproved of letting the two oldest have Ipods, I have discovered that Ipod removal causes much trauma to them, and a quick return to good behavior.  Usually the Ipod removal lasts two or more weeks and must be earned back.  A most effective carrot.

But child two, who is in advance language arts, honors math, and is generally a very smart cookie is failing language despite several conversations and punishment periods.  Earlier this week he lost all electronic privileges after a teacher conference where we learned of defiance and refusal to turn in homework.  Two days later, that same teacher commented that the attitude had completely turned around.  Then Friday, a different teacher called to notify us of disrespect and poor behavior.  He has school detention next week, and we are forcing him to also tell his Karate instructor of his behavior.  He will be suspended from Karate, which he loves, for several weeks also (we've talked to the instructor, who insists on honorable behavior from his students).  

I wish the boy would wake up and realize many of his problems are self-inflicted.

• sacsr and twostep have said thanks

#29 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 01:48 PM

Lift-Off!!

LOL

Got some movement in the garden, and it isn't insects!  Looks like most of the corn has germinated.  I've got potatoes coming up in a number of spots also.  The potatoes were in terrrible shape when I planted them, as I purchased them back in early March to plant.  Well, with the frigid weather ( we had severe enough freezes that I think it killed all my peach buds) and school, I didn't rush to plant them, so when I found the bag again, one was on it's way to rotting and most of the potatoes had not only budded, they had put out long runners also.  I planted all of them and we will see what happens.  Right now, I think the "Yukon Gold" is not popping up yet, but the reds are.  If the Yukon Golds do poorly again this year, I don't know if I'll try to grow them again.  They had a VERY poor showing last  year also.  Forgot to take pictures, but the butterbeans are sprouting too, hopefully the snap beans will show up shortly.

GE 021.JPG

GE 022.JPG

Edited by HowardsMF155, May 15, 2013 - 01:50 PM.

• KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#30 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 15, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Glad to hear things have taken root! I hope to try 'tators next year!