22 replies to this topic

#1 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 15368
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:25 PM

i have been paying payments to a very nice lady not far from where i live, for another FMC Bean Cutler that showed up on craigslist. i went and looked at it on the 5th of this month, and put a down payment on it after she agreed to let me make payments for the balance. i sold some things on craigslist, and finaly came up with the rest of the money yesterday. i went over and picked it up, and the implements that went with it, and brought it home.

bc1.jpg

bc2.jpg

bc3.jpg

bc4.jpg

these are the pics from the craigslist ad

bc2ef.JPG

bc2es.JPG

here are shots of the engine

bc2bg.JPG

the original belt guide, there are 2- the other one is on the other side

bc2ep.JPG

here is the engine ID plate, notice it says "Wards" gasoline engine on it, instead of Wisconsin.

bc2alt.JPG

this is where the engine lift plate was cut at one time, and bent over to its new location. i have seen this on only one other Bean Cutler, and i think it may be the way the factory called for it to be fixed, after some sort of repair??

bc2id.JPG

its ID tag, number J 29610

bc2gb.JPG

bc2gbb.JPG

the grader blade, mounted on the lift bar

bc2cs.JPG

the box of parts for the cultivator set

bc2ds.JPG

the disk set

bc2p.JPG

the moaldboard plow, minus the disk

bc2pn.JPG

the plow has a name, " EMPIRE"

bc2scg.JPG

the cable guide system on the steering pulley. notice someone took 2 sets of the guides, and mounted them on one another....i think they didn't want the cable grooving the pulley?

bc2ww.JPG

and the wheel weight set.

i will get more pics later, and try to fire it off this week sometime, i will let you know how that goes.

Attached Thumbnails

• bc2p.JPG

Edited by jim knutson, March 17, 2013 - 11:15 PM.

• Bolens 1000, wilberj, OldBuzzard and 3 others have said thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:28 PM

Where are the rest of the pics? :tapping_fingers:

• jim knutson said thank you

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,193 Thanks
  • 5,213 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Jim the rest of the pics are missing!

#4 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 11:13 PM

there, i fixed the pics, sorry about that....i had a "moment", and messed up. :wallbanging:

• crittersf1 said thank you

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 01:18 AM

Congrats! What a great find and score! :thumbs: :dancingbanana: Good luck with your new toy :D

#6 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:56 AM

That looks like a nice find, Jim

It's good that you got all the implements with it too.

#7 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:53 AM

That looks like a nice find, Jim

It's good that you got all the implements with it too.

Ray, i was very pleased with the parts that came with it. i know for sure that the disk set is for it, the blade, and the plow is correct also, but missing the round cutting blade and arms that hold it on. the cultivator set has the different tips that can be mounted to them also. only implement that it didn't come with is the 20" disk plow i think, so i hope i can eventually find one to complete the true set of implements that where available to the Bean Cutlers. there are a few things that someone did to it over the years, that are not original....like the seat mount modification, but they all can be reversed by unbolting the stuff, and returning it to its correct look. the engine turns over very easily, with little compression, but i hope to be able to get it to fire up and maybe seat the rings back up.....it has been around 15 years since it last ran, and at least the tank was drained of fuel before it sat all that time, the inside of the tank looks to be in good shape, and is clean. i will try to "clean" the carb with a spray can of carb cleaner, put fresh fuel in it, and give it a whirl. i know its not giving spark right now, but i will replace the plug wire, and open the back of the magneto to clean, and set the gap on the points. if that does not work, i have another magneto that is rebuilt, and does produce spark, that i will put on it. more updates later this week.

Edited by jim knutson, March 18, 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:17 AM

there, i fixed the pics, sorry about that....i had a "moment", and messed up. :wallbanging:

:brain_fart: :brain_fart: I do it all the time.

#9 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,275 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:51 AM

The old wisconsins were bad for sticking valves. Put your hand oveer the exhaust and turn it. If you feel suction there, your exhaust valve is stuck. Put your hand over the air intake on the carb and feel for pressure blowing out.

#10 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:17 AM

thanks Doug, i will be sure to check that stuff when i try to fire it later this week, after i let the Marvels mystery oil soak in the cylinder and valves.....i soaked them down through the spark plug hole with a spray bottle full of it.

Edited by jim knutson, March 18, 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Congratulations Jim, that is a really great score.  I like all the accessories.   :thumbs:

#12 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Congrats! ya done good on this load, sounds like a great seller too :thumbs:

#13 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Great score and you got a lot of nice attachments too. Normally it doesn't take much to get old Wisconsins running so hopefully you will have it running again soon.

#14 jim knutson OFFLINE  

jim knutson
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 66 Thanks
  • 136 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 11:04 PM

well, i tried to clean the points, set them, and replaced the cover and spark plug wire, and still had no spark. so next, i pulled the magneto, timed a good one into it, and bingo, spark. i fueled it, and cleaned the sediment bowl, and float bowl of the carb, let it all fill with fuel, and gave it a whirl. it popped immediately, and smoked from the exhaust. i knew the compression was still low, because it was so easy to turn over. so, i let it just sit until after dinner. i pulled the spark plug, poured in about 1oz of 2cycle oil mix, and put the plug back in. gave it a pull, and it stutterd for a few seconds, then died....with a good puff of smoke. i gave it another pull, and it fired to life. it ran a bit rough, and i had the choke half on, for the first minute, then no choke, and smooth running, with a surge here and there. i let it run about 3 or 4 minutes, then hopped on and rode it all the way to the front yard, before it must have picked up some garbage somewhere in the carb, and she quit. i had it running several more times, but it wouldnt stay running for long. i will be having to give the carb a good cleaning, but it runs good, and i cant wait to get out and ride it again. :D :D :D :D :rocker: :rocker: WHOOO HOOOOO!!!! it was great.

• wilberj and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#15 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,193 Thanks
  • 5,213 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 11:40 PM

well, i tried to clean the points, set them, and replaced the cover and spark plug wire, and still had no spark. so next, i pulled the magneto, timed a good one into it, and bingo, spark. i fueled it, and cleaned the sediment bowl, and float bowl of the carb, let it all fill with fuel, and gave it a whirl. it popped immediately, and smoked from the exhaust. i knew the compression was still low, because it was so easy to turn over. so, i let it just sit until after dinner. i pulled the spark plug, poured in about 1oz of 2cycle oil mix, and put the plug back in. gave it a pull, and it stutterd for a few seconds, then died....with a good puff of smoke. i gave it another pull, and it fired to life. it ran a bit rough, and i had the choke half on, for the first minute, then no choke, and smooth running, with a surge here and there. i let it run about 3 or 4 minutes, then hopped on and rode it all the way to the front yard, before it must have picked up some garbage somewhere in the carb, and she quit. i had it running several more times, but it wouldnt stay running for long. i will be having to give the carb a good cleaning, but it runs good, and i cant wait to get out and ride it again. :D :D :D :D :rocker: :rocker: WHOOO HOOOOO!!!! it was great.

Thats the best part getting to ride them!