#16 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 12:12 PM

Those arms are part of the earlier (pre-76) lift setup. Used with the scissors deck linkage as opposed to the later "quick attach" decks.

Nice score by the way, especially the tiller. You should be able to get a good price for that as there's always people on here looking for them.

Edited by Canawler, March 18, 2013 - 12:14 PM.

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 12:23 PM

Pictures look nicer than real tractor. Plenty of greasy and rusty area by pto. There are two arms, one each side that hook to a shaft, look like a lift. I don't have those on my other 990 and wondered if it was for a snowblade that is not quick attach? I got blade lit with it, no blade though and it had two lift straps that might hook on these arms?? Here's a pix.

Think I'm gonna sell the tiller if any interest. It has some new tines on it in few places. The shaft is there and a back guard. Also seems to me where that seal that is off the front drive shaft is a bad bearing. I can wiggle shaft and see the ball bearing there move a lot. I won't ship, but might go to Portland, IN swap with it in May. Any offers? the tiller requires the 3pt and upper link, which I am keeping.

Grumpy, If you look at my thread on my 990, you will see those lift arms lift my deck. I hope this helps.

It's the 16th post or the first on page two.

http://gardentractor...ew-to-me/page-2

What are you thinking on the tiller?

#18 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:32 PM

Very nice complete tractor, dash looks decent from a distance and steering wheel horn cap is still there.

I would love to get one of those tillers next to the big bolens tiller,they sure do look like they came from the same manufacturer

Good score.

#19 undertaker OFFLINE  

undertaker
  • Member No: 11394
  • 67 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 06:32 PM

I have the two lift arms on mine as well.

#20 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Well, I have the quick hitch slip on deck, maybe it doesn't use those arms??  I got the tiller manual and in it is a little diff in that it has a quick hitch style bearing support and twin piece driveshaft. My shaft is just one big long one, quite big around and I think it just connects to the drive shaft on pto with square connector there, no support. Is this older style or are there parts missing? Wonder if parts were missing and a former PO just made this long one-piece shaft? It's at least 3ft long, maybe more if I really measured it.

#21 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 05:36 PM

The single piece driveshaft is correct so far as I know.

Could you upload the tiller manual to the files section?

#22 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted March 30, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Manual is here already, about second item in the attachments for MTD List. The rest all looks same as what I have, just not the shaft system.

#23 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 10:12 PM

Well, went and got a new battery to try this old beast. No key action. Checked all the controls for start position, but later found the start/park one wasn't in position. After that it started with key. But didn't shut down with key. Found a white wire hanging loose under hood and that seems to cut it out and stop it. Took for a little ride. Controls are way loose and whacky, worn out for sure. Break action is non-stop and doesn't push the drive control back to N or nothing. Lots of slop in drive control, creeps a lot till you wiggle to just right spot, which isn't in the N position or even close. Both speed rages work. Hey, forgot to try the lift, darn! Lights no go. Wiring is kinda messed up, specially for the stop and lights I guess, so will have to look into that. Needs better fuel line set-up too. Think I'm gonna try to keep this one together more and just fix the issues it seems to have.

Taking the metal from my other one into the stripper and have them do their majic and have to get them painted up soon and start to go back together again. Still not sure on color yet!
  • Sawdust said thank you

#24 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted April 12, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Got metal back today, was $225 for the 5 parts, ooops! , but sure is nicer than sanding any day. I did finish sand the top surfaces, leaving the inners as they had them and primed. NOW,  gotta find a neat color. Decided the Grill is gonna be Silver or Argent like some wheels on tractors, and kinda looking for a neat NON JD Green or maybe bright yellow to use on the fenders and hood. Can't seem to decide if I want tunnel cover black like orig, or make it same color. Leaning towards black at moment. Hmm, maybe that could be silver too?? 

Also took filled wheels off back of this tractor in the topic and MAN, no wonder that thing pushed hard. They weigh ALOT!  I had to get one of my ramps to load into truck bed, didn't even wanna try to left them in.  Taking those in tomorrow to have them pumped out and demounted so I can work on the wheels. One is kinda rusty, hoping they can remove w/out wheel damage. These are harder to find wheels on these with that 4-bolt pattern. Wanna get them cleaned/painted and tires back on with new tubes and NO fluids this time. I hate what Calcium Chloride does to wheels, never knew what the attraction was to use that junk.

• Sawdust said thank you

#25 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted April 13, 2013 - 08:13 AM

If the rims are trashed another option is to pick up a set of Wheel Horse 5-bolt hubs and go with readily available 12" wheels. 

There is not a lot of selection for 15" tires, either.  

• Sawdust said thank you

#26 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 06:51 PM

tires came off OK, think tires will be fine with a scrubbing with Bleche-White. Some rust doesn't come off the tires with that cleaning, hmmmm!
Wheels look pretty solid, might be some pitting, but no real holes or thin areas. Blasting them now, to paint later. Here's pix of "Naked" rig outside in Cold, Aww!

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedex Road Trip 2013-04-14 008.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 01:51 PM

Brrrrrr! Makes me cold just looking at it!

#28 Brant2409 OFFLINE  

Brant2409
  • Member No: 35568
  • 6 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 08:08 AM

I am going to look at a Farm king and tiller this weekend.  They are asking $600 for it and it runs didn't know if that was a fair price for it.

#29 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hey! Been awhile since doing much to tractor. I decided to sell it and go on to others I have. I'm cutting down my selection (the herd) and leaning out.  I got it back together today and got it running again. Drove around some. I like the way this one runs better than my other Cucumber Clunker one that I finished. Should have fixed this one instead. Anyway, gotta get a new battery for it and taking to Portland,IN sale soon. Gonna ask around $400, maybe some less will take it, see if it goes. Nothing but the tractor, no deck or tiller which  I sold now.  Hope someone other than a "stripper" buys it. 

#30 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted August 16, 2013 - 06:49 PM

Ran tractor more now. New battery, instant start and runs great. Lights aren't working and not sure it is charging??  Haven't had to charge battery yet tho, so might be fine and amp gauge not working?  I like it!  Has lots of potential for new owner.