Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Why Do People Have Ag Tires On The Front Wheels Of Their Tractors?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 10:17 PM

I have ags on the front of one of my mf12's for the same reason I modified it and put 26x12x12 ags on the back, I use it and need all the traction I can get. When I put these tires on it I wasn't even aware that plow days or show's with garden tractors existed and didn't think anyone would ever see it. Now that I take it to plow days I get some snickering and teasing comments but those people don't know what I use it for. I bought my house in August when it was dry, the following spring my back yard was under a foot of water. There is an old ditch that is hundreds of feet long that goes threw the woods behind my house, it was filled with leaves, branches, small trees and muck. I used my mf12 w/dozer blade to clear the mess out. I got tired of using a come-along to get the tractor out of the muck and found the 26x12x12's at a garage sale cheap so I put them on. The next problem was that once I was in the ditch I couldn't steer out of it, on the incline with the weight of the dozer blade up front the front tires would not turn up hill. The ditch is "V" shaped and I plow down one side and then come back on the other, cleaning out the debris. I do this a couple times a year and I now have a dry back yard. I believe that the ags in front are the best for this situation. They also have worked great for snow plowing, when the blade is angled it doesn't push the tractor sideways like it used to and it will climb rite out of a furrow. I think I paid $35 a piece for them. I'm planning on getting some new fronts for a couple of my other tractors (would probably have them already if they were only $35) and will probably go with ribbed instead of ags, not because of traction or price, but so people won't look at them the way I look at a dodge neon with a fake plastic hood scoop and giant whale tail on the trunk.

DSC00800 1.JPG

Edited by broken2, March 17, 2013 - 10:19 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, JD DANNELS, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#32 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 10:34 PM

I did not put ags on the front of any of my tractors. I instead went with the snow hogs on the Caterpillar (Craftsman GT18) and they make a huge difference in mud and snow. Trust me, I tried to steer in high gear in mud and snow with the Caterpillar and the turfs scooted (as you would expect) and after the snow hogs I tried it again and when I turned left, I went left. It was quite good with those snow hogs.

• KennyP and chris m have said thanks

#33 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 10:37 PM

What is a snow hog? What tread pattern?

#34 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 10:38 PM

Oh i thought of reason #5
I really don't care what anyone else thinks. If you don't like them don't put them on yours.
  • olcowhand, KennyP, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#35 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 11:33 PM

What is a snow hog? What tread pattern?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332886226.848030.jpg

• Trav1s, chris m and HydroHarold have said thanks

#36 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:35 AM

It's good to hear that the AG's are helping with the steering issues. There may come a time that I may need a set.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#37 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:35 AM

Looks like the tread on a quad. What ply?

Edited by crittersf1, March 18, 2013 - 06:36 AM.

#38 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:29 AM

Sure sounds like it's helpfull in steering situations.

I've got some I picked up cheap a couple years ago.

Now I'm looking forward to trying them out in the mud

this spring.

#39 Ron White OFFLINE  

Ron White

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 267
  • 123 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:39 AM

Because they fit !!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 140 WITH SUPER LUG TIRES.jpg

• UncleWillie said thank you

#40 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:18 AM

i think ags look good on the front of some tractors. my friends has ags on the front of his farmall cub and it turns way better in the mud then the farmall regular with trailer tires

#41 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 02:00 PM

I have ags on the front of one of my mf12's for the same reason I modified it and put 26x12x12 ags on the back, I use it and need all the traction I can get. When I put these tires on it I wasn't even aware that plow days or show's with garden tractors existed and didn't think anyone would ever see it. Now that I take it to plow days I get some snickering and teasing comments but those people don't know what I use it for. I bought my house in August when it was dry, the following spring my back yard was under a foot of water. There is an old ditch that is hundreds of feet long that goes threw the woods behind my house, it was filled with leaves, branches, small trees and muck. I used my mf12 w/dozer blade to clear the mess out. I got tired of using a come-along to get the tractor out of the muck and found the 26x12x12's at a garage sale cheap so I put them on. The next problem was that once I was in the ditch I couldn't steer out of it, on the incline with the weight of the dozer blade up front the front tires would not turn up hill. The ditch is "V" shaped and I plow down one side and then come back on the other, cleaning out the debris. I do this a couple times a year and I now have a dry back yard. I believe that the ags in front are the best for this situation. They also have worked great for snow plowing, when the blade is angled it doesn't push the tractor sideways like it used to and it will climb rite out of a furrow. I think I paid $35 a piece for them. I'm planning on getting some new fronts for a couple of my other tractors (would probably have them already if they were only $35) and will probably go with ribbed instead of ags, not because of traction or price, but so people won't look at them the way I look at a dodge neon with a fake plastic hood scoop and giant whale tail on the trunk.

attachicon.gifDSC00800 1.JPG

Hey if it works in your application, Let them look!!  Incidently my Nephew had one of those Turbo Neons and he out ran anoyone that looked at him funny. I never like the way they rode, but that thing would flat fly.

#42 powerstroker00 OFFLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 04:57 PM

100_0850.JPG i put ags on the front of my ht20d just to see what it would look like. i picked up a brand new set in a trade so i didnt have anything in them, plus the tires that were on it were shot. i figure i will run them on it until i need a set of ags for the rear on another tractor, i will probably put a set of tri-ribs on it then.