Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Why Do People Have Ag Tires On The Front Wheels Of Their Tractors?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 02:00 PM

Getting ready to do that (bar tread all around) on my Snapper 1650 this spring.  Two reasons, yes the cool factor that says I just like the looks and how it sets it apart and the second is for added traction when turning because of how I intend to use this tractor.  I mow with my JD and like the smooth ride of the turf tires.  I had bar tread on the backs of my previous mower and she was kinda bummy on the ride.  I have the factory fronts on my JDx320 now and there have been a few times in slightly wet shady areas that it has pushed the fronts instead of turning. That a tiny bit more grip would have turned them.  Not putting bar tread on the JD because the few times the slide happens isn't worth sacrificing the ride all the time. Thats my take on it but to each his own. :D

Edited by gtcsreg, March 17, 2013 - 05:15 PM.

• tinbender7 and backwoods have said thanks

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 02:13 PM

I would have thought the three rib style would give better steering in snow & mud, and reduce drag.

attachicon.gifthree rib tire.jpeg

I would have thought the three rib style would give better steering in snow & mud, and reduce drag.

attachicon.gifthree rib tire.jpeg

Generally I think your right.. However this week I was wishing for more. I have 4.00 x 12 on the front of my 1500.
There is about a foot of frost in the ground around here and it was 60 one day this week. The track in my lane is packed well but there were some ruts where people had got off the track. I wanted to blade down the ruts, but there was not enough floatation in the narrow fronts they droped down to the frost line. I was wishing for wider tires with more floatation.
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#18 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 02:31 PM

1975B-100Automatic3.jpg

Why do people just collect Green GT's, or why do some people have shiny hubcaps, or why do some use their GT's while others are "Show Queens"?

Each one of us is different from the next guy, so each one of us do what we do because that is what we want!

I have seen GT's that I would give my left arm for, but I have also seen GT's that I wouldn't take if they were given to me....Just me, I guess.

I have the ags on the front because that was what I wanted to put on there, plain & simple!

• tinbender7, farmerall, Nato77 and 3 others have said thanks

#19 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 02:36 PM

1975B-100Automatic3.jpg

... I have the ags on the front because that was what I wanted to put on there, plain & simple!

I don't think anyone is saying it isn't right.  The original question was more one about the functionality or purpose of Ags up front.  Style is an individual preference, but if there is an advantage to be gained, inquiring minds want to know.

P.S. I see you have Ags up front & turfs on the rear.

#20 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 02:50 PM

P.S. I see you have Ags up front & turfs on the rear.

I bought ags for the front & rear, but the rears were still in usable shape, so they haven't been mounted....yet.

When I bought the ags for the front, I was told steering in the snow would be better...can't prove it one way or another though!

• tinbender7 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#21 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 02:57 PM

I have run both 3 ribs and ags on my cub cadet with a snow blade on it. I cant see a bit of difference in steering when pushing snow. I prefer the looks of the 3 ribs on narrow wheels with dual ags on the rear. thats my 2 cents worth.

#22 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 03:11 PM

I put mine on the DragonFly for a couple of reasons

1- it looks neat

2 - I mow my ditch and the turf tires just slid downhill the AG tires bite and actually turn the tractor

3 - they were cheap

4 - it makes people ask silly questions like is that a 4x4.

• larrybl, KennyP, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 03:19 PM

I put ags on my loader tractor so I can steer in the muck.  Better than ribs, and turfs are useless where I sometimes go.  The ags clean better than anything else I've used.  For me, it's about function.....but I think they look cool too.  

• Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood, chris m and 3 others have said thanks

#24 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 04:39 PM

All about being "different".0302131528b.jpg 0302131528a.jpg

• backwoods said thank you

#25 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Kids 007.JPG

Doc,

I have ags on the front of mine, due to needing better traction while plowing snow. Due to living in town here in Lititz, I plow a lot of sidewalks, driveways and the street for parking, for most of my elderly neighbors when we get snows of 5" and more. I have used turfs and tri-ribs on the front, but I find that I just don't have the steering traction I do while using the ags. Our streets have a taper to them for water run-off, and basically turfs and tri-ribs just don't hold a straight line while plowing. I switched to ags more as an experimental idea, and since doing so, I won't go back to tri-ribs or turfs again.

As for wanting to make the tractor look cool, or trying to make the tractor look like a 4x4? Honestly, I hate the look of these tires. I, like you, think it looks silly, but if you also take note, it is not one of the tractors that I take to shows, or brag about either. I think it's safe to say, that you and I are a lot a like, as far as keeping the tractors as original as possible, so if or when this tractor is taken out of service and restored, it will have either the original turfs or new tri-ribs put back on it.

Troy

• Bolens 1000, chris m, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 06:58 PM

From what I am reading here, some are getting better traction with the steering w/AG's, some aren't. I can see Daniels opinion knowing feed lot conditions. Troy, I can understand your use also. Guess it all depends on the situation.

As I stated, I don't have issues as yet, so will stay with the 'stock' tires.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#27 mowerbeast OFFLINE  

mowerbeast
  • Member No: 29683
  • 32 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 07:08 PM

Probably for the 4x4 "cool" look.

It probably could help with turning on a slippery surface, but it seems like on a regular surface it would make the tractor more difficult to steer.

#28 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 07:18 PM

I like ag tires because ,as mentioned, they provide a better grip. They have a pretty good "cool" factor also. Right now, I only have them on my loader tractor(Cub Cadet 149). They really aren't much more expensive than turfs and they are a whole lot cheaper than tri-ribs. I paid $40 for two 16-6.50-8 BKT trencher ag tires.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#29 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Only one real reason on a 2 wheel drive tractor,

The bigger is better "Cool factor"   :poke:  :D

That's it 100%.  It makes you look like you own a 4WD tractor.  It also leaves tough tracks in the snow.  However, that all being said, I doubt if I would put them on something I own. 

Needless to say, that isn't included on my list of "cool factors!"

Ben W.

#30 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:02 PM

This thread has answered some questions for me. After what Daniel and Troy have said I will try a set on my plow tractor to see if they help steering in the snow and mud. I'll just keep turf's,snow hogs and tri- ribs mounted on spare rims and swap for different conditions. :D

• KennyP and johndeereelfman have said thanks