Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Why Do People Have Ag Tires On The Front Wheels Of Their Tractors?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Over the past few years it seems more and more people are putting AG style tires on the front of their tractors. The reason I'm starting this thread is just to get a couple opinions/reasons why people are doing this.

To me it just dosent make sense, The Garden Tractors aren't 4 wheel Drive and you would think steering would be harder with those big bulky tires on the fronts. IMO they actually look kind of silly on the front.

I'm assuming these cost alot more than just your regular turf tires, so I'm really at a loss as to the reasoning behind it.

I'm not knocking the people who do this Just curious as to what others have to say and get some  different opinions on this topic.....

Here's a couple Examples:

Attached Thumbnails

• _HT-18.jpg
  • DSCN3762.jpg
  • IMG_15911.jpg
  • IMG_2027.jpg

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 11:31 AM

I've thought about doing that to one of my GTs, but haven't yet or maybe never will. The only reason I would put them on is to be a little different and to leave cool tracks in the snow and dirt :D

• Bolens 1000, tinbender7 and larryd have said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Doc., I have wondered the same thing and i figure it's a couple reasons. They like the looks of their Gt with the Ag's up front, gives it that 4X4 look. the other reason I think is because of the load ratings, the Ag's can be bought with a higher Ply rating then the regular front tires. Just my thoughts. :wave:

• Bolens 1000, tinbender7 and larryd have said thanks

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 11:50 AM

I have wondered the same. From what I have seen so far I guess they offer better steering in snow and muddy conditions? I was going to test them but decided to get Snow Hogs instead. I will probably test as set sooner or later.

• wvbuzzmaster, tinbender7 and larryd have said thanks

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 12:15 PM

I have wondered the same. From what I have seen so far I guess they offer better steering in snow and muddy conditions? I was going to test them but decided to get Snow Hogs instead. I will probably test as set sooner or later.

I would have thought the three rib style would give better steering in snow & mud, and reduce drag.

three rib tire.jpeg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, March 17, 2013 - 12:16 PM.

• tinbender7 and larryd have said thanks

#6 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 12:23 PM

Good question as I'm curious about the answer on this as well, I seem to remember reading somewhere they offer great steering traction when installed backwards but I've rarely seen them mounted that way.

#7 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 12:31 PM

I think they look good on some tractors. I haven't used a set of ags on the front so I can't comment on how they actually affect driving and steering. But as far as looks go, I think they really give certain tractors a cool look...

#8 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 12:43 PM

Only one real reason on a 2 wheel drive tractor,

The bigger is better "Cool factor"   :poke:  :D 

• IamSherwood, tinbender7, farmerall and 1 other said thanks

#9 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 12:47 PM

I personally like the 3 rib I don't have them, cost to much , I bought new turfs As for ags I don't know .

larryd

• tinbender7 said thank you

#10 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 12:48 PM

I have not put a set of ags up front yet, but I like the look and probably will put them on one GT at some point. Like johonnyreliable post, I like the cool factor and it will make mine different looking that the others. Not a right or wrong issue for me, just being different

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Over the past few years it seems more and more people are putting AG style tires on the front of their tractors. The reason I'm starting this thread is just to get a couple opinions/reasons why people are doing this.

To me it just dosent make sense, The Garden Tractors aren't 4 wheel Drive and you would think steering would be harder with those big bulky tires on the fronts. IMO they actually look kind of silly on the front.

I'm assuming these cost alot more than just your regular turf tires, so I'm really at a loss as to the reasoning behind it.

I'm not knocking the people who do this Just curious as to what others have to say and get some  different opinions on this topic.....

Here's a couple Examples:

I agree with what you say here, Doc! I think the 3-rib look cool if you have narrow wheels. I'd like to have some 5-rib for my wider wheel fronts. Just don't see a reason for the AG's at all. I have no snow to push down here, so I don't have to worry about steering traction. I don't have a loader tractor, so don't worry about the weight on the front axle.

#12 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 01:09 PM

I could see a benefit as for extra plyes to protect against Mesquete and Catus thorns. I have been knee deep in Catus for the last couple weekends and not had an issue "yet".

Attached Thumbnails

• P1080268.JPG
  • P1080269.JPG
  • P1080270.JPG

• KennyP and tinbender7 have said thanks

#13 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 01:10 PM

Think those guys are "Wanna-be's" and have the 4x4 look w/out buying expensive tractors like new ones mostly are now days.

I like 3-ribs on my PK's, otherwise just turf treads are fine. those big 5" tri-ribs don't look quite right tho.  If ags are on back, tri-ribs on front just look right and more like a bigger tractor would have. "wanna-be" again! 

Second question:  Why do some fellas put them on backwards on a 4x4?? Claim they give more traction for backing up is what I heard. They look funny though.

#14 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 01:22 PM

Even though it is not 4x4, it still does provide a tad more traction versus if you had ribbed tires up front. Others like it for looks. Maybe you want for a few upgrades and it does have all-wheel steer or 4x4, in that case go for it.

#15 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 01:58 PM

I like the look of ag's on the rear and tri ribs on the front, I have 1 GT that way and just bought a used set of ag's for the second GT looking for front tires now.I am not impressed with ag's on the front, juct to make it look like a 4x4