• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • Member No: 25080
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 02:24 PM

This is the story of my Power King. This blog was submitted to Speed TVs show "GEARZ" with Stacey David. They have a segment called What Are You Working On and I signed all the realease forms and such but have never seen my PK on the show. This is also posted on the My tractor forum and on the Yahoo PK page so it may look familar to some.

I had first seen this tractor on a classified board at work in 2001. It was a fully functioning 1614 at the time. It had a Kohler K321 14 hp engine, dual 3 speed transmissions, Dana rear end, snow plow, mowing deck, rear farm type plows, 3 point hitch and an extra set of turf tires,and rims.
I didn't have the cash to buy it so a friend, Frank, that worked with me bought it. Frank ran it until 2007 when he blew up the Kohler. He tore down the front end to get to the engine and tore down the engine to replace the rod and piston but never did. He went out and bought a new fiberglass bodied
Power King. So the PK sat outside in pieces until the day before Frank retired. He called me up and said he had a retirement present for me. I laughed and told him I wasn't retiring, he was. He went on to say that he wanted me to have the Power King since I always asked about it.

So the story of Humpty Dumpty started on Dec 1, 2009 when I went and picked it up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 71+PK+ready+to+strip.jpg
  • almost%20ready%20to%20blast.jpg
  • 71%20PK%20rear%20view.JPG

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#2 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 02:28 PM

1971 Power King Tractor - Humpty Dumpty - The Engine.

I got the tractor to my friend Angelo's and he said that we better get a replacement engine since the 14hp Kohler K321 was missing so much. He was plowing snow for this guy and he noticed that the guy had a big ole hunk of junk in the bed of his plow truck and it had an engine on it. He asked the guy what it was and he said a 1960 something stump grinder. Ang told him that was nice but what about the engine and climbed up into the back of the truck. It was a 16hp Kohler K341 and the guy said for him to unbolt it and take it.
Once he got it out of the back of the truck the next stop was the rental joint were his buddy Charlie was going to go thru it in his spare time. Well that ended up being about 5 months but it received a new piston, rod and a valve job which cost me a whopping $50. Wait..I don't remember giving Ang the $50..LOL!
It was another month and Ang didn't do much to it. He was going to clean it up, remove and old clutch flywheel and pull off the pull start. Yes..I said pull start. There is no way on a 10 degree day that I'm going to be pull starting a 16hp engine to plow snow.
I only made it to his house twice and he didn't touch the thing at all so I went and picked it all up in October. I dropped the tractor at the house and brought the engine to work with me. My buddies and I worked on it during lunch and then tucked it away in this huge moving crate that had a built in drop ramp. Jack and Gabe pulled off the old pull start, flywheel and such while I took a Dremel to the flywheel that wouldn't break free for no one.
Funny thing, Frank called and said he had found a bunch of parts for that engine and dropped them off to us. I measured every inch of the old block and new to ensure that they were the same. I went into the pile of stuff that Frank dropped and pulled the flywheel, stator, starter and so on. I took it all home and painted everything. The starter was missing teeth so I picked one up off of Ebay. I also bought to clutch parts from Jerry in Texas and with help from the yahoo PK and MTF PK guys, we put the clutch all back together too.

Attached Thumbnails

• humpty%20dumpty.jpg
  • ang%20and%20K341.jpg
  • k341%20ready%20to%20roll.JPG
  • new%20clutch%20installed.JPG

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#3 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 02:34 PM

1971 Power King Tractor - Humpty Dumpty - The Body

While we worked on the engine and clutch at work, I figured I’d clean up the rest of the PK at night and on weekends if I had time. It wasn’t supposed to be a full ground up restoration, I just wanted to clean it up and make it look decent. The thing had original paint, some other paint and some stuff that looked like a cross between paint and undercoating so I decided to try to get the big stuff off of it and try my luck at painting. I set up a big tarp out in the back yard to sand blast all of the tin and frame. I didn’t have the right tools for the job so my brother, Rob, brought over his sand blaster, large air compressor, welder and small air grinder. I set up 2 tables under the tarp along with the frame. I started to blast the parts and found that the parts with original paint came right off and others were a nightmare. My 11 year old son, Matt, took an interest in blasting so I suited him up and let him go to town. I ended up having to use paint stripper on some parts. The main body panel called the tunnel was rusted out where the battery sits so Matt and I took a drill and air chisel to it and got the bad piece removed. Rob took the old battery panel to work and made me a replacement. He welded it into place and I used a little body filler on it to smooth it out. I’m more used to working with sheetrock mud so this was a bit challenging. Rob offered to prep, prime and paint everything but I told him that I wanted to try it myself so I did. It didn’t come out too bad considering this was the first time wheeling a paint gun, a borrowed paint gun. Of course he pointed out a “fish eye” and a couple runs but I didn’t really care. I just wanted to say that I had done it myself.
On most of the early model Power King, Economy and Jim Dandy tractors, they used all orange paint. I wanted something a little different so I went with the gloss black frame and attachments and orange for the body tin. Tractor Supply is about a half mile from the house so I used their Valspar tractor implement primer and paint.

Attached Thumbnails

• blasting man.jpg
  • matty%20p%20blasting.jpg
  • Rob%20grinding%20battery%20panel.jpg
  • PK%20blasted%202.jpg
  • primed%20parts.JPG
  • primed.JPG

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse, CRFarnsworth and 1 other said thanks

#4 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Everything is Orange!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• back%20in%20black%20frame.JPG
  • everything%20is%20orange.JPG

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 02:40 PM

Lookin good sep.

Dick

• sep said thank you

#6 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 02:42 PM

1971 Power King Tractor - Humpty Dumpty – Putting it back together.

Once I had everything prepped and ready to go, it was time to put Humpty Dumpty back together. I dumped the two coffee cans full of nuts and bolts onto a big table and started to sort everything out. My buddy Jack brought me all of his mics and gauges to figure out what we had and made a list of all the rusted junk. I picked up all of the hardware and headed to the garage. There really isn’t a lot to the PK but it is all of the little things that made me scratch my head so I decided to do a dry fit to make sure I had all the parts in the right places. Once I got the tunnel, dashboard and fenders back on, it started to look like something. Rob made me the two long hydraulic hoses and the positive and negative battery cables at work. I ran all of those and put on the hydraulic pump on. I took the tires and rims down to the local tractor shop. I switched out the older Ags for the newer looking turfs and got two new tires for the front. After those were mounted, it was time to get it back on the ground for the new 16hp. Rob helped me lift it onto the frame and slide it onto the pilot shaft. It only took a little wiggle for it to set right. I bolted it all into place and was ready for the hydraulic pump. Matty P. worked with me on that as well as putting on the gas tank and front grill.

Attached Thumbnails

• dry%20fit%201.JPG
  • dry%20fit%202.JPG
  • engine%20install%20frt.jpg
  • matty%20p%20hydro.jpg
  • matty%20p%20laughs%20at%20dad.jpg
  • with%20tires%20and%20rims.jpg

#7 sep OFFLINE  

sep
  • 60 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 02:49 PM

1971 Power King Tractor - Humpty Dumpty – The finishing touches.

We needed to add the choke cable and throttle cable as well as set up the linkage to the carb. Jack came over and helped me with that as I ran the wiring for the new lights and added some wire protective wrap on most of the exposed stuff. We ended up putting in new fuel lines and a gas on/off switch. We got it running and driving but the carb must have been gunked up since it would not run well on full throttle. We will need to pull the carb and clean it all up since it is still not right. I added a battery box like I’ve had on all of my campers to keep the crud off and to protect the posts. Two new aftermarket head lights and one in the rear by the 3Pt hitch as well as a yellow strobe light were added since I plan to plow snow with it and want to be seen at nite. I put the rest of the 3pt hitch together and tested the hydraulics with no issues. We switched out the steering wheel, added a seat cushion and I muscled on the wheel weights. Not too bad for the first one!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 3pt.jpg
  • pk%20done%202%20GZ.jpg
  • pk%20rear%20done.jpg
  • chains%20and%20plow%202.JPG
  • chains%20and%20plow.JPG

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 03:12 PM

Came  out very nice :thumbs:   Those  rear  tires look to be the same tread pattern as my 3400 Ford ,  nice touch ! 

• sep said thank you

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 03:15 PM

I never get tired of seeing those pictures!

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 04:15 PM

Great story!  Thanks for sharing!

Ben W.

• sep said thank you

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 05:01 PM

You did a fantastic restoration on that PK. I'm sure it was a lot of work but now you have a tractor that will last for many, many years.

• sep said thank you

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 05:02 PM

I talked with Steve, the links in his posts were accedental. He won't be able to delete them for a while, if a mod wants to delete them that would be great. Thanks.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and sep have said thanks

#13 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,644 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.  Good to see the young'un in there helping! :thumbs:  :thumbs: :thumbs:    Rick 

• sep said thank you

#14 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 05:55 PM

Wow! Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

• sep said thank you

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Wow, That is a GREAT story and neat to see the rebuild. Thanks for sharing ! :thumbs:

I never get tired of seeing those pictures!

Thanks Ryan, I went thru and fixed all the links. :D

• Ryan313 said thank you