#31 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 06:21 AM

I was right!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a Custom Color tractor that was repainted at some time.  I am SOOOO jealous! Rare?  Yes - because there were many fewer produced.  There is no way to verify color on the ID tag on a 1969 but there is on a 70.  Desireable - to those who think they are interesting (like me).  Essentially the idea was a major "fail" for Deere.  These tractors did not initially sell so Deere dealers painted them green.  I missed a 140 patio tractor about a year ago on CL in SW Iowa.  It was rough and I had already picked up the 120..

Here is their info on the patio machines from WFM:

John Deere Custom Color Lawn and Garden Tractors

During the 1969 model year, John Deere introduced the Custom Color series of lawn and garden tractors and attachments. Collectors often referred to this equipment as "Patio Models". In 1969, the models offered in Custom Colors were the 110, 112, and 140. The Model 120 was added to this list the following year in 1970. The marketing group at John Deere Horicon Works felt that not all of their customers wanted a green garden tractor, and so by offering a variety of colors, sales of lawn tractors would increase. These Custom Color lawn and garden tractors were painted entirely in Dogwood White except for the hood and seat. The hood and seat were offered in one of four colors: Patio Red, Sunset Orange, April Yellow, and Spruce Blue. These colors matched those of John Deere’s popular competitors. Tractors were shipped minus the hood and seat; the dealer would then install the colored hood and seat of choice.  All the attachments were painted Dogwood White to match the garden tractors. Some of these attachments included the #80 Cart, #37A and #49 Snow throwers, #31 and #33 Tillers, #43 and #54 Front Blades, #5A Sprayers, and of course all models of the mower decks including the #39, #47, #41, and #48.

Originally when they were released in 1969 the entire tractor was painted in Dogwood White except for the hood and seat, of course. This included such things as the engine, fuel tank, mower deck attachment linkage, and the mule drive on certain models. John Deere found that the white paint on the engine had a tendency to stain. Also this meant that more parts had to be painted separately. So, for 1970, black paint was used on the engine, fuel tank, mower attachment linkages and some other items. This way these parts could be used on both the custom color and the green lawn and garden tractors without separate painting being done. Even though the engine on the Custom Color 140 was changed to black in 1970, the air cleaner cover remained in white. The seat base is unique to Custom Colored tractors in that it is textured and not smooth like the green tractors.

Also when these models were released in 1969 the type number for the green and Custom Color versions was the same on the serial number plate. Later this was changed so that a unique type number was used for the Custom Color tractors.

It didn’t take long for John Deere’s Marketing Group to find out that customers buying John Deere garden tractors wanted a green tractor and not one of a different color. Sales of the Custom Color tractors were disappointing and in the 1971 model year, production of the custom color tractors ceased. Dealers repainted many of the tractors and hoods green to get them sold. Many of the seats were used to make parts counter stools, were given away, or they ended up laying around on dealer parts shelves for years waiting to be picked up by collectors. The yellow seats, of course, were used on the green tractors and the first to be used. Because of this, yellow is probably the hardest color of seat to find.

The Ertl Toy Co. of Dyersville, Iowa made a matching set of 1/16th scale Custom Colored garden tractors to match the real ones. These 1:16 scale toys were offered in the four colors and a matching Dogwood White lawn trailer was also available. These toys were offered in a "Dealer Display" box and are highly sought after by toy and garden tractor collectors alike.

Today the Custom Color or patio garden tractors that John Deere made have become highly collectible. Due to the fact that they sold poorly when new, they are somewhat more difficult to find than their green counterparts. Many have been found wearing the familiar green and yellow paint, so be sure to examine the type codes. Many collectors consider the Custom Color 120 the most difficult to find, and there is much debate surrounding which of the colors is the most rare. Many of the attachments other than the mower decks are among the hardest to find of John Deere factory attachments. 

Below is the list of the Dupont Centari paint codes and a listing of custom color type numbers.

- Starmist White 59373
- Lemans Blue Metallic 5030
- Sunset Orange 60659
- Fleet Red 2622
- Fleet Yellow 23820

Custom Tractor Type codes for 1970 and 1971 models only, as the 1969 models are the same as the green ones.

110 T0642M, T0648M 112 T0654M, T0655M, T0656M, T0658M 120 T0572M 140 T0582M, T0584M

Summary by Dave Borkowski, 08/07/2002

Edited by Trav1s, March 20, 2013 - 06:26 AM.

• twostep said thank you

#32 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 07:52 AM

So I guess based on the red color through-out the hood and the green - white - primer paint layering I can definitively say it is a "Patio"! That is really neat and I have always liked the custom color tractors but at the same time I need a worker and hate to NOT restore a Patio to it's full glory! And there is no way I can afford to restore it... It would look pretty cool mowing the lawn next summer on a Red Patio JD.

• Trav1s said thank you

#33 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:40 AM

Nice tractor. I had a 140 H1 for probably 20 years, and loved it. I was also wondering about the switch that johndeereelfman asked about, but he beat me to it. You'll probably have to take the battery and battery shelf out to see what it does, if anything. I wired mine for lights, but put the switch where the factory switch goes.  I also see it it the deluxe model, with a cigarette lighter. Mine had that also. Used it a few times to power a small 12 volt air compressor.

Harlan

• johndeereelfman and twostep have said thanks

#34 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 08:43 AM

So I guess based on the red color through-out the hood and the green - white - primer paint layering I can definitively say it is a "Patio"! That is really neat and I have always liked the custom color tractors but at the same time I need a worker and hate to NOT restore a Patio to it's full glory! And there is no way I can afford to restore it... It would look pretty cool mowing the lawn next summer on a Red Patio JD.

Hmmm... we could work a deal on a nice worker 314 with a newer k321.  I have the parts to do a H2 conversion for it too.  I would do a restore on the 140.   :D

• twostep said thank you

#35 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hmmm... we could work a deal on a nice worker 314 with a newer k321.  I have the parts to do a H2 conversion for it too.  I would do a restore on the 140.   :D

We might have to talk in the future. I'm not a collector but I understand how one would feel about one of the more rare models being used to turn over manure piles.

There are some wear items on the ol' girl that I will be working on over the spring/summer before I start mowing with it. Until that is finished it will be my dedicated yard trailer towing machine. The deck hangers are worn thin and/or broken with booger weld repairs. I'm going to clean those up and get them fully functional. Sharpen the blades up and see how I like it. I've got a JD blade that needs to be mounted on the front of this thing :D

#36 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 04:44 PM

I also see it it the deluxe model, with a cigarette lighter. Mine had that also. Used it a few times to power a small 12 volt air compressor.

Harlan

Harlan,

All John Deere 140's H3's came with cigarette lighters and headlights from the factory, as standard equipment.  On H1's and 120's, these were options. Also, the 120's didn't come standard with front hydraulic remotes, but were available as on option if the owner wanted them. Seemed odd, that you could buy a front blade and snowthrower for the 120, but in order to use them, you had to purchase the front remotes separately. Should have been standard equipment when buying the attachments.

• Trav1s and hdg4400 have said thanks

#37 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Wow Bobby, Congrats on a 69 Red and White Patio 140. When you start to re-do it, you can remove the rivets that hold the ID tag on. Have someone take photos as you remove it, it should be white under the tag as most dealers didn't remove them to paint it. You can also use paint stripper on the hood and it won't hurt the gel coat under the paint. What a GREAT find and deal!!

• twostep said thank you

#38 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 12:08 AM

Have I mentioned that I LOVE this machine??? drug the harrow around the garden plot a little just to stretch her legs. These K321's are STRONG.

DSCN0947.JPG

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 04:59 AM

Glad to hear it does the job!

#40 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:43 AM

They are great machines and the ol' k321 is torque-ie.  I noticed a difference between the 120 and the 314. I know you would love the improvements of a 314 :smilewink:

• twostep said thank you

#41 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 08:39 AM

... noticed a toggle switch just to the left of the parking brake knob. Figure out what that goes to yet?

Troy,

I noticed that Mitchell Cain's 140 has a plug in the dash where mine has that switch. Also here is link to another picture that shows a plug. I would like to know what that hole was designed for. 

dash.jpg

Done%20140%20005.jpg

http://www.weekendfr...g2_itemId=82091

#42 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 09:22 AM

twostep:

I had a 140 H1 for over 20 years, and loved it. I see the plug in some of the pictures in the 140 Operator's Manual and Service Manual, but I can't find any thing about it. I'm sure someone here will have more info on it. Good luck.

Harlan

#43 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 07:54 PM

I believe it's an access hole for greasing the hydro drive lever. Could very well be wrong, but check to see where the grease zerk fitting is, and see if it lines up with that hole.

#44 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Bobby,

I stand corrected. I just went out and looked at a 140 frame that I have out back, and it too has the hole, but there is no grease zerk fitting on the hydro control lever inside the console. So I'm sorry for misleading you. I have no idea as to why that hole is there.

The clutch control and clutch light are both mounted on the dash, the headlight switch and cigarette lighter are both mounted on the left side of the console front, so all standard or needed switches or controls are present and accounted for. The only other thing I can think of, is maybe you would mount a switch here for say a cab mounted windshield wiper, but you would normally reach up to turn that on at the wiper motor. Ah, how about a cab mounted warning light? The hole is the right size for a small toggle switch of some kind, and isn't big enough for much else. Your guess is as good as mine, but I'm willing to bet it would be for a cab mounted warning light, since it's mounted on the roof, out of reach.

• twostep said thank you

#45 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 09:12 PM

The 120 has the same hole. I will check the svc manual for info.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• twostep said thank you