• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 07:19 AM

That is one solid 140. Definitely an early 140. The newer ones, ser no 30001 and above have the same Dana rear end as the early 300 series tractors. Having 3 hydraulic circuits is a nice feature and allows use of a 3 pt hitch while having a hydraulic lift and angle blade on the front for instance. 

• twostep said thank you

#17 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 07:27 AM

I sent you some information on the 140 in a PM! 

• twostep said thank you

#18 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 08:26 AM

Looks good :thumbs: The H3 has been on my look for list, but when they come up they have all been way over my $ limit. Looks like you got a solid one. And yes my farm has red, green,orange and blue, each was bought for a purpose and I think it is way more fun that way :rocker2: 

• twostep said thank you

#19 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for all of the comments and information guys.

Looks good :thumbs: The H3 has been on my look for list, but when they come up they have all been way over my $ limit. Looks like you got a solid one. And yes my farm has red, green,orange and blue, each was bought for a purpose and I think it is way more fun that way :rocker2:

That is why I couldn't pass this one up... They don't come up for sale AND it was priced right.

and your topic verifies the reason to join GTT: here you'll find no brand grimness :thumbs: :dancingbanana:

That's why I like it so much around here!

Definitely a nice looking early machine.  

You did good on this one.

The one downside is that early transaxle parts are hard to find.  They are durable but not available.

Thanks for the info and the reassurance on the condition.

For a 44 year old machine I'm surprised at the condition. Of course I can see that it has had some paint work at some point but that doesn't take away from the lack of rust/rust pitting.

• Trav1s and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#20 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 09:07 AM

Nice tractor!  It looks good  right now.  It is a work horse of a gt.  When you get the JD all gone thru and stuff, you will have to do a pull-off competion or something with the Cub!

Something kinda cool I noticed, you have a 4-leg deer on the headlight bezel, and a 2 leg deer on the steering wheel center cap.  my uneducated guess is, that should make it made on the later side of '69.....I have a '69 110 with a 4-leg deer center cap. 

Edited by James henry, March 16, 2013 - 09:56 AM.

• twostep said thank you

#21 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 09:25 AM

It looks like you got a really nice deal there.  The deck does look pretty good.  Congratulations.

#22 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 01:54 PM

From WFM for the 1969 MY changes...

For 1969, the 140 received a 15% upgrade in power with a move to the 14 horsepower Kohler cast iron K321AS. Also new for the '69 model was individual rear brakes. These allowed sharper turns, as well as the ability to feather a wheel if it was spinning. A change a little more difficult to detect was a switch to a true three spool valve on the H3 models.

At Serial number 30001, for the 1971 model year a change was made in the type of hydrostatic unit used. This change incorporated a pinion and ring gear design rather than the bull gears used on previous models. The rear axle diameter was also increased. Rear brakes were changed for the disc type used up to this time to a more reliable drum brake system. Individual rear wheel brakes were retained on the H3 models.

Other changes were made throughout the run from the 1968 through 1974 model years. Additional John Deere attachments were added such as the 54C center mounted grader blade and the 542 front mounted PTO.

• twostep said thank you

#23 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 04:45 PM

That is a nice tractor you got and you it for a good price too. I'm jealous, a 140H3 is one of the tractors on my wishlist lol.

• twostep said thank you

#24 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Congrats Bobby, looks like you did real good. Enjoy!

• twostep said thank you

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 08:33 PM

NOT GREEN!  Oh yeah, wait, I have green!  And red, and orange, and .......

Nice 140 Bobby!  That rear end & hydro is the same as Bush Hog used in the JB & HD series.  They are hydro pump to gear motor.  Not quite as strong as the hydro to hydro models, but with just 14hp it can lay all the power down to the ground just fine.  Nice unit!

• Trav1s and twostep have said thanks

#26 Kevin Vasich OFFLINE  

Kevin Vasich

• Member No: 7211
  • 87 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 07:58 AM

Twostep :welcome: the green team. the 140s are great tractors. I got to found one for sale one day.

• twostep said thank you

#27 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:20 PM

I was out all weekend but I did get her cleaned up a little saturday morning. Here is a short (but hi-def) video I shot.

th_DSCN0925_zps582e1597.jpg

Edited by twostep, March 18, 2013 - 09:33 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#28 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hey Bobby,

I watched your video, and noticed a toggle switch just to the left of the parking brake knob. Figure out what that goes to yet? Just curious. Motor sounds good and strong, you should be very happy with your investment.

Troy

#29 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Ok, after watching the video I have one thought:  Custom Color or patio repainted green.  

In the vid I noticed scratches in the paint (including on the lift controls) that show white paint.  Take a moment to look under the green paint on the fender pan (especially along the edges) and see what you can find.  Look closely at the wear on the fender pan by the clutch pedal.  Also, look at the left corner of the hood at 9 seconds in the video.  I see orange (red?) peaking through.  Finally, look at the seat pan.  On a patio machine it would have a texture to it.  The regular seat pan would be smooth like the pan installed on my 120.  

I have a stinking suspicion on this one... 

• twostep said thank you

#30 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hey Bobby,

I watched your video, and noticed a toggle switch just to the left of the parking brake knob. Figure out what that goes to yet? Just curious. Motor sounds good and strong, you should be very happy with your investment.

Troy

Troy, it doesn't seem to do anything. I haven't, and don't know when I will get to tear into it to find out either. Good eye though! The motor seem real strong, that is for sure. I can't wait to mow with it.

Ok, after watching the video I have one thought:  Custom Color or patio repainted green.  

In the vid I noticed scratches in the paint (including on the lift controls) that show white paint.  Take a moment to look under the green paint on the fender pan (especially along the edges) and see what you can find.  Look closely at the wear on the fender pan by the clutch pedal.  Also, look at the left corner of the hood at 9 seconds in the video.  I see orange (red?) peaking through.  Finally, look at the seat pan.  On a patio machine it would have a texture to it.  The regular seat pan would be smooth like the pan installed on my 120.  

I have a stinking suspicion on this one... 

I think you might be on to something. When I was pressure washing it I noticed what looked like white or gray paint where the green was chipped. I would have NEVER thought that this would be a patio so I just figured it must be primer. Now that I've looked closer I see that there is both gray and white. You can really see the differance in the first picture. ALSO, check out the pictures of the underside of the hood. What do you mean about texture on the seat pan? do you mean the steel bottom portion, as in not the part you sit on?

So I guess 140 patios pretty rare?

DSCN0929_zps6aa6fdd3.jpg

DSCN0930_zpse728031c.jpg

DSCN0931_zpsf6a06d1b.jpg

DSCN0932_zps2701b58f.jpg

DSCN0933_zps6dfe8586.jpg

DSCN0934_zps40fa27a9.jpg