Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Parting Out Cub Cadet 122 And 124 - Question Regarding Transmission And Rear-ends

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 10:40 PM

Hello All,

I have been parting out a Cub 122 and 124.  Both were missing engines and was best to part them out.  I have removed and sold many items such as the highly sought-after creeper gears on eBay.

Right now, I have two monstrous transmission/rear-ends sitting in my yard.  

Question is:  What should I do with them?

I am not sure if there is a any real value in them.  

I don't know if anyone on Craigslist would like to take them as whole units.  I have seen some people sell the internal gears on eBay.  The hub-tubes don't seem to sell very well on eBay.

Right now, my thought is to keep the wheels, sell the internal gears and shift lever mechanism on eBay and then scrap the rest at the metal recyclers.  I know that the manual transmission Cubs are sought after for pulling tractors because of their heavy-duty drive train.

What would you recommend to get the most value from these?  Is there something I am missing?

Thank you in advance.

- Mark

#2 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 10:57 PM

You are correct. They are not worth a whole lot. They just don't go bad!!!! I don't know about parting them out. I have never done it. I usually just put them under a tarp on a pallet. I have seen them whole sell for between $50-$75. Anyway you look at it they just aren't worth much.

• markdombroski said thank you

#3 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 11:01 PM

You are correct. They are not worth a whole lot. They just don't go bad!!!! I don't know about parting them out. I have never done it. I usually just put them under a tarp on a pallet. I have seen them whole sell for between $50-$75. Anyway you look at it they just aren't worth much.

Thank you Levi, you confirmed what I thought.  They definitely are heavy-duty and many times more than what is required for a Garden Tractor of its size.  These are tanks compared to the cheap greased gear transmissions that are in the flimsy box-store mowers.

#4 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 11:26 PM

What you should do is Post this in the Pulling forum. These rear axles are the best thing for pulling.

The only draw back that I know with these axles are the end of the axle shafts with added HP sometines twist off or wreck the spider gears inside the axle.

If you list them on Ebay, list the axles with the word pulling, and I am sure somone will jump on them fast.

If you were closer I would be after them myself.

#5 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 11:33 PM

What you should do is Post this in the Pulling forum. These rear axles are the best thing for pulling.

The only draw back that I know with these axles are the end of the axle shafts with added HP sometines twist off or wreck the spider gears inside the axle.

If you list them on Ebay, list the axles with the word pulling, and I am sure somone will jump on them fast.

If you were closer I would be after them myself.

Tim,  thank you for the suggestion.  It took me awhile to understand.  Yes, the axles can be removed and sold.  That is a good suggestion.  

Edited by markdombroski, March 15, 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#6 jacobd OFFLINE  

jacobd
  • Member No: 17550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 04:13 AM

Whatever you do I'd like to discourage you from taking them to the scrapyard. I know there's a lot of them out there but they sure aren't making any more. If push comes to shove I'd put them on craigslist for about 15 bucks each. Get slightly more then at the recyclers and save you the trouble. I believe the internal brake rears are more desirable to pullers because a lot of the wheels they use don't clear the external brakes.     

• markdombroski and CRFarnsworth have said thanks

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 08:07 AM

I understand your thought process about scrapping, and if worse comes to worse you've got to do what's right for you.  However, I would try to sell them for cheap first.  We're dealing with a limited supply of parts and equipment: maybe the shortage won't hit for awhile yet.  But it will come at some point.

Sell them to a puller, or a guy who is addicted to designing his own machinery. 

Ben W.

#8 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Guys, I totally agree with you about "Preserving and Protecting" these historical parts. I will place the pair on Craigslist for $50 and see what happens. However I will hold on to the wheels for now

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

#9 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 11:18 AM

Find some pullers

I get $150.00 them here in southwest IN

#10 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 11:01 PM

So posted on Craigslist and have a potential buyer. I saved them from the scrap yard and they may be reused again someday.

http://seattle.craig...3687831944.html

#11 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 12:13 PM

The transaxles sold yesterday!  Saved from the scrapyard!

#12 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Glad somebody had a use for them!!!