• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:46 PM

On your Garden Tractor do you store it for a given period of time with the gas valve open or closed provided you have a shut off valve. If you don't have one you then have gas sitting in your carb. year long, is that good on the carb. If you have the valve and shut the flow of gas off do you run it until the gas has all burnt up or what.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, March 15, 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:55 PM

When I get real fancy, I remove the air cleaner while running, shut off fuel, wait for it to die, then spray with WD40. Drain tank and see ya next year!

In the diesels I use Startron to prevent algae growth in the fuel, and leave it as full as possible.

#3 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 08:14 PM

On your Garden Tractor do you store it for a given period of time with the gas valve open or closed provided you have a shut off valve. If you don't have one you then have gas sitting in your carb. year long, is that good on the carb. If you have the valve and shut the flow of gas off do you run it until the gas has all burnt up or what.

Dick

Well to put it simply I would say:  Closed, no,and Yes.

#4 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:07 PM

I like to close my valves in case a hose or something leaks.Storing for the winter i will shut valve and run tractor until it shuts off.

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Like others I shut off the flow and let it run out if I am storing for any length of time. I also drain gas out of the tank.

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 10:52 PM

I put Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) in the gas, this coats the fuel system and combustion chamber which will prevent corrosion. If you just park a tractor with the fuel able to run to the carb the gas will evaporate and a"shelac" like substance will gum up the carb over a year or two. I prefer to run the engine out and hand turn the engine until it is on a compression stroke so that the valves are closed.