8 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:23 PM

I'm interested in rebuilding an engine that I could later use but most of all for the experience and education. I found this engine locally on CL and I'm wondering what a fair price would be for it (if this isn't already a fair price)? Cost of rebuilding this type of engine may be a factor that I haven't considered yet so I throw it out to you for your thoughts. Thanks.

The listing states:

Kohler KT17 KT-17 Engine from John Deere 317 - $50 (Augusta)

I have a complete Kohler KT17 opposed twin cylinder 17 hp horizontal shaft engine that I removed from my John Deere 317 tractor. The engine was running fine, with no knocks or noises, and no smoke, but the thing was leaking oil all over the place. I removed it and completely disassembled it with the intention of putting a gasket and seal set in it and putting it back in the tractor. But I sold the tractor chassis. So now I have no use for the engine. It's all in a big plastic tote. It's complete with all the nuts and bolts. Just the ignition coil itself is worth twice what I'm asking. For $50 and a gasket set, someone can have a nice engine. This engine does not use an oil filter. It is the "splash lube" style engine.

I don't see a carb in the picture but it may be on the left hand side of the pic below near the middle. Is it? Thanks again.

20130315_182051.jpg

Edited by Moosetales, March 15, 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Well I haven't had a twin apart yet. But for $50 I would buy it in a heart beat!!! Also the carb is attached to the manifold. Left hand side of the pic half way down, the y sorta looking pipe.

• Moosetales said thank you

#3 gopher ONLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 565 Thanks
  • 628 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:59 PM

The carb is bellow flywheel.If you think you can trust this person yes its well worth that.And if you were planning to rebuild most of tear down is allready done.The jugs seem to show surface rust so minamen your looking at hone job rings and gasket set.

#4 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:19 PM

I saw that too! I would grab it up in a heartbeat. But, I don't need one, and I'm not going to drive to Agusta to get it (122 miles one way)

If you just want to try your hand at small engine rebuilding, I would suggest a single cylinder Kohler. Half as much of everything to do!

Joe

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:23 PM

That's a Series 1 KT17, I believe some of the parts are NLA. The rods are splash and these motors tended to throw rods.
  • chris m and Moosetales have said thanks

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,600 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 08:18 PM

If he gave it to you and delivered it for free, you would still be upside down on that engine once it is rebuilt and running. 

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 11:12 PM

Rebuilding an engine requires special tools and some practice of their use. First Download and print the Kohler engine manual for the single cylinder engines. Then the old Briggs and Stratton manual. These are available in our manuals section. Both of them describe the steps in rebuilding engines. You then need to decide if you want to spend the money for the specialty tools. With luck at a swap meet you might get them all for under $200. I bought all of mine 25+ years ago and they've paid for themselves many times over. If you want to experiment, just get a lawn mower engine and take it apart clean it and put it together. You can compress the valve springs with an open end wrench but it is a fight. You can compress the rings with a large hose clamp. These expedients are difficult but do able. A torque wrench is a must. This will give you an idea of what its like. I usually take 1 and 1/2 days to rebuild an engine. A 12 hp Kohler costs about $150 for parts. I've never done a twin cylinder. Good Luck, Rick 

#8 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 05:52 PM

You guys have definitely given me something to think about before jumping into this project. Thanks.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 07:27 PM

I could not believe the epay prices for valve spring compressors. Mine was $8,  29 years ago. Now they are $35+. Look in the manuals and make a list of what you want and how much they cost. Copy the pictures too. Take the list with you when you go to tag sales and flea markets. If you take your time you can acquire the tools without spending too much. I often found special tools in old tool boxes mixed in with a bunch of junk. Good Luck, Rick