56 replies to this topic

#46 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• Member No: 8472
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Howard, I really like the way your doing your garden. It looks great. :thumbs:

Do you think it's too late to plant potatoes here?

I Thanks, it has been a very long road but finally got it 90% done... all crops are planted with irrigation...think it is too late for potatos. If I remember right, you need to have them in the ground around February.... or get them in the ground in late fall for early spring / summer crop... I have not done potatos yet but plan on the big bed to start them late fall....

#47 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 09:02 PM

I fought with it sifting out all the crud but I finally got that dirt pile gone & managed to get the final raised bed done by the compost tub.... filled it full of beets... Needed to get it done today due to the rains tomorrow.... pictures of the 4x8 bed I built today & a birds eye view of the completed garden spot... just have landscaping to get done along with hog proof fence... & the sink project ... the fence will take some time to complete ..............................................................................................................................................................................GEDC1628.JPG GEDC1630.JPG

• Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#48 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 09:08 PM

Looking great Howard. It's raining here now, so you might see some in just a little while.

#49 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 02:59 PM

worked hard on the sink project for the garden... got it done ... some welding, paint & finished plumbing other than the drain... woo hoo.. it can slide in & out for easy access ... water line is hooked to the tank & a bucket will collect the run off so it can be used for the plants... no wasted water here...........................................................................................................................................................GEDC1642.JPG GEDC1643.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#50 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:07 PM

I started my greenhouse frames for the box rows... there is 4 ways I can use all the parts & they are not glued together but actually drilled in a jig with drill press & pinned together so I can change to any configuration as I need... one picture shows, tall greenhouse, flat tomato cages & short greenhouse... each tall greenhouse is actually 2 short ones stacked but will do 2 rows of short greenhouses ... or one tall greenhouse the length of the 37 foot row if needed or just a 4x4, 8x4 etc .... I can have 2 full rows of tall greenhouses & put fittings down the peak of both rows & add an arched top to each top peak & have a large 2 row greenhouse that I can walk inside of. I can also use the pieces together to make an 8 ft H shaped trellis for my peas... I can plant both sides of the trellis for lots of peas in a small space... I will try to put it together & post it... Since I am spending plenty of cash on them, it was good to configure  the parts for many other uses when not a greenhouse. They fasten onto the side of the box bed... no glue on any of it & support wires can also make it more rigid if needed...The tomato plant stocks can be supported on top of the cross rails while the tomato's can hang below for easy access... the plants have a big area to spread out because of the support rails & use the full size of the beds...All the parts to a full greenhouse will fit into a large feed bag for storage when not needed....

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC1715.JPG
  • GEDC1717.JPG
  • GEDC1722.JPG
  • GEDC1723.JPG
  • GEDC1724.JPG
  • GEDC1726.JPG
  • GEDC1727.JPG
  • GEDC1728.JPG
  • GEDC1729.JPG
  • GEDC1730.JPG

Edited by howard H, May 13, 2013 - 10:27 PM.

• Alc, KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#51 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted May 13, 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hard to believe that most of the plants have been in the ground for one month.... the composted poo is really making things grow fast... I have already introduced calcium to the dirt so my produce won't get blossom end rot this time...the ph level is running around 6.5 or so... the onions are getting big & are almost ready for market... lots of lady bugs... this is a good thing, bees hovering around lately from the huge nest  in the old house next door... rain has filed the water tank 2 times so far & the drip system is working great.... I even have a quarter size purple bell pepper growing....for the most part since I sifted the dirt, I only had a few grass pop up but I was able to totally remove them & the rows have been weed & grass free for a while now & little maintenance has been needed....

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC1732.JPG
  • GEDC1707.JPG
  • GEDC1740.JPG

• Alc, KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#52 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted May 14, 2013 - 04:57 AM

Good ideas you have working here, Howard. Nice looking garden.

#53 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 04:12 PM

I sold all my onion crop & made $125 for all of it.... This finally freed up my last row to be sifted... This has been done & I put in that raised bed, dividers, 100 lbs of composted poo in each section, calcium, phosphorus & sulfur known as epsom salt.... This row is now ready to plant.... The garden pictures are of the garden as of 5/28/2013.... Everything is growing so fast & is bearing tons of produce on the vine & stalk....the tomatoes have grown over 5 foot tall & corn has gone over 9 foot... working still on the greenhouse frame over the tomato row to the right... I got it started but need to go get more fittings... getting expensive for some of them & how many I need... Already harvested... onions, yellow squash, zucchini & soon some yellow banana peppers ... the big bertha peppers are almost 6 inches long... getting big fast... Friend of mine who has had a garden all his life & blossom end rot is taking his tomatoes... he asked me how to fix it... hmmm... me a rookie vs a well developed grower & he does not know what is wrong...lol.... epsom salt & tums....potassium, sulfur & calcium....lol... fixed mine last year no problem.... I already introduced that twice already to all my plants.... so far so good & the new raised beds have been a joy to work with with very little maintenance required... I have been putting drops of mineral oil on my corn as the silk starts to appear....going to get rid of that darn silk worm....... Heck, I even lost 37 lbs since I started this raised bed build..............................................................................................................................

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC1852.JPG
  • GEDC1825.JPG

Edited by howard H, May 28, 2013 - 04:16 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#54 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 08:50 AM

Impressive. I can't believe how quick your garden has grown!!! I have tried and tried to get the local rabbit growers to hook me up with poo and all they do is reply, "yeah, I'm sure I'll have plenty" and then won't reply with any more detail or a phone number!!!

• howard H said thank you

#55 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Impressive. I can't believe how quick your garden has grown!!! I have tried and tried to get the local rabbit growers to hook me up with poo and all they do is reply, "yeah, I'm sure I'll have plenty" and then won't reply with any more detail or a phone number!!!

Funny how the poo accumulates & they want to get rid of it but don't... I still have over 1000 lbs of it in my compost tub.... the stuff really works well but only need it when planting takes place.... so much nitrogen it makes the plants go nuts with growth... I had to use plenty of antacid just to make sure of veggie growth along with the epsom salts... giving potassium, calcium & sulfur... my tomato plants have grown over 6 ft tall in the pvc cages... corn has gone over 9ft... lots of good growth.... already re-planted the onion row with purple hull peas... only thing that will grow now with this Texas heat... Gone organic for the plants though it is not certified but I know what has been put in the dirt....I saw poo sold on Ebay... way too much cost for very little.... you might consider posting wanted on Craigslist in your area for poo... might get lucky ... been applying the mineral oil to my corn... so far the ears are doing very well & in 2 weeks, it should be ready for harvest ... my supply might end as the rabbit man has had some bad luck with his health... might go away so I may be in search of poo myself next year... got cows & horses but I would have to compost that hot stuff for a year before I could use it.... I found that planting radishes between crops & till them back in will give you good nitrogen levels... the dirt here in Texas is lacking lots of minerals & I always have to fortify the dirt to get good results.... I already have a produce buyer wanting my produce... sure saves me all the time selling at the local farmers market....I love the raised beds as they hold tons of plants... I use to plant 7 rows with single line of planting... with the raised beds, I have multiplied it by 5 times the plants in 5 rows... maxed them out or so I thought...lol...good luck on your poo quest....

Edited by howard H, June 01, 2013 - 09:18 PM.

• Alc and twostep have said thanks

#56 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 10:34 PM

Got tomatoes...lol... I trimmed off all the lower leaves of my tomato plants & left the top canopy for sun shade to discover tons of huge tomatoes... I knew that I had nice tomatoes but not this many... The raised beds worked great & with the rabbit poo compost. the pictures show my Roma, Celebrity, beef steak & better boys... I did not use pesticides & had a few caterpillars & fruit worms getting to a few tomatoes but when you don't use chemicals, you have to agree with sharing a few with the bugs...lol... I did put in lots of antacids & some epsom salt to prevent the blasted blossom end rot... so far it worked great...The raised beds only had a little grass get through the sifter & I managed to eradicate them at the early stages of the plant growth... I used cedar shavings throughout the beds & it seemed to help take care of some bugs... trying to stay organic can work with help by hand work & weeds were plucked as they popped up... the grass between the rows looks great now & mowing is a snap. I already harvested over 100 ears of corn... yup, big long super sweet corn... The mineral oil worked pretty well other than the few I missed... my corn grew to over 10 feet tall with mostly 2 ears per plant... should get over 400 ears when all is done mid July... not bad for only 2 - 37 foot rows packed full of corn plants... The 60 cantaloupe plants already have around 70 or so big cantaloupe growing.... I got tons of big peppers ready to harvest... all is going great!this was an experimental garden but it has proven beyond a doubt that it worked way beyond my wildest dreams... never going back to the old school ways of growing crops... it was expensive to build but will last for many years... time to retire the old Edko walking tractor... it did it's job... I replanted the onion row after sifting it finally & planted heirloom purple hull peas... about the only thing I could plant in this hot Texas heat...The drip irrigation has worked well beyond my expectations... I got 2 sections of new fence & hog wire installed... now working on the front of the garden & the gate with bridge section...................................................................................................................................

GEDC1976.JPG .GEDC1975.JPG

GEDC1895.JPG GEDC1742.JPG

GEDC1969.JPG GEDC1927.JPG

GEDC1983.JPG GEDC1985.JPG GEDC1992.JPG GEDC1994.JPG GEDC1995.JPG GEDC1996.JPG GEDC1999.JPG GEDC2001.JPG GEDC2002.JPG GEDC1889.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC1902.JPG

Edited by howard H, June 14, 2013 - 11:09 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#57 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,521 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 05:56 AM

Great looking garden. That is a neat idea to be able to harvest while standing in the yard. :thumbs:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garden, gardening, box gardening, square foot gardening