• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• Member No: 8472
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Boy having your beds set for drip iragation will save so much time , everytime I read this thread make me want to put together one for my garden , will you use it for fertilizing too ? I have thought if I had a drip system I might be able to do that by mixing a 55gl drum and others with just water .

It was not too bad to set up the drip system & get it working right for the crops that require water supply adjustments  as they grow... thought about using an injection system with rabbit poo tea... Then I decided to just use a watering can... much easier.... won't really need the fertilizer as the dirt has been amended with compost & rabbit poo... Calcium will be put in later when the plants get ready to start blooming.... got epsom salt just in case....

• Alc said thank you

#32 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Howard Said;

We used vegetable oil on the silk just as the silk was starting to show, it keeps them off the corn. That's how the worms get into the shuck, going down the silk.

I read in a gardening blog about using mineral oil the same way... makes sense to apply it as the silk just starts to grow.... thanks....

• Texas Deere and Horse and SamMC have said thanks

#33 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 08:29 PM

Well, now that the plants are in the ground I set my goals to work on the huge pile of rabbit poo... It has been indoors & composting for 9 months & has composted very well... I had to figure a way to break it down.... my conclusion was to use an old bed liner, shovel the poo to the left & mulch it down with the lawn mower & discharge the compost to the other side... bucket it up & put in compost tub....The sifter just clogged up & I abandoned that idea...it looked very bad but after I mulched it down, I ended up with lots of soft loamy compost with good moisture content & less yuk.... the picture of the trailer full is only half of what I got... I was still loading the 16 ft trailer.... the poo is a continuous thing & is free... all I have to do is clean it off the floor from under the rabbit cages.... I will be bagging it up in feed bags & selling them... around 40lbs for $? each ... I have another tub twice the size in the picture that will also be plumb full... that will be sold.... I will be top dressing the rows with the composted poo in a couple of weeks to let the plants get going first.... I saw a few people selling poo on Ebay & for $10 a box.. the box was 12 x 12 x 6.5 inches... hell, not even a square foot for $10... my deal is much better & has been composted, not fresh.... composted can be safer when composted... this gets rid of any pathogens,& other crud if any... but the rabbits are raised organically so no problems to speak of....I had to get this done before the storms hit tonight & tomorrow... will soak all the poo....

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC1453.JPG
  • GEDC1507.JPG
  • GEDC1511.JPG
  • GEDC1515.JPG

Edited by howard H, April 10, 2013 - 06:41 PM.

• SamMC said thank you

#34 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 10:25 AM

I read in a gardening blog about using mineral oil the same way... makes sense to apply it as the silk just starts to grow.... thanks....

Howard, That is hat I meant to say, "Mineral Oil", Sorry for the confusion. It does really work.

• howard H and SamMC have said thanks

#35 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 10:37 AM

The rabbit compost looks awesome. I had considered getting some rabbits, but I'm not sure I have the heart to butcher them.

• howard H said thank you

#36 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 10:43 AM

Is the lumber you used treated? I considered wooden bed supports, but dont like the idea of whatever they pressure treat with. Here is what my drip setup looks like.

drip.JPG

The beds were hand dug, and maintaining them can be a chore.

• Alc and howard H have said thanks

#37 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Is the lumber you used treated? I considered wooden bed supports, but dont like the idea of whatever they pressure treat with. Here is what my drip setup looks like.

attachicon.gifdrip.JPG

The beds were hand dug, and maintaining them can be a chore.

The boards are 16ft barn boards... they are treated but also the reason for the liner deep between the dirt & wood The cost was $8 a board & i used a lot of them... the stakes are just plain 2x4s cut down.... your drip system looks good & should work fine... I first started off the last few years with just open rows... pain in the rear trying to keep the rows clean....reason for the sifter last year... I have my drip system totally interchangeable with the other beds so if I change location of my corn to another row, the main water line can be moved to that row as same with the other beds.I got lucky last year & acquired an old Edko walking tractor. I restored it & it came with all the attachments... I custom built the sifter for the tractor & has paid off immensely...I can also use the tractor inside my beds but my little cultivator is doing just fine...

Edited by howard H, April 10, 2013 - 06:30 PM.

• SamMC said thank you

#38 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:12 PM

The rabbit compost looks awesome. I had considered getting some rabbits, but I'm not sure I have the heart to butcher them.

Thanks.... I did a temperature test today on my big tub of composted poo... it has risen up to 135* & cooking away... I am able to keep away from raising rabbits... after talking to the man I get the poo from, he told me not too... very much an every day chore... Thats ok to me, less work & more poo...lol

• SamMC said thank you

#39 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 06:24 PM

I went to Burges feed store & was able to buy white feed bags new for a dime each...heck ya I'll take 50 of them...lol....I have been filling the bags with 50lbs of hot composting poo... I should have around 50 bags worth filled later today after the storms pass...... They are still composting in the bags & are running so far around 125 - 130...some good stuff when you sell hot bags of fertilizer.... I will check them again tomorrow.... I figure since this poo is 9 month old processed compost & not fresh, I should get $10 a bag... The feed store is our every day store for the farm & they told me to put up an add on the bulletin board...already have a few sold @ $10 & the word is out ... when I am all done bagging it up, I should have around 100 bags or more to sell... right now the tub of compost poo is running 135 + degrees .....pay day for this pooper scooper....nasty job but the money will pay me back for the cost of the garden.... The bags are those white polly mesh that breaths... plenty of outside moisture to keep them composting along with good air circulation...

Edited by howard H, April 10, 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#40 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 10, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Never liked killing a rabbit... I got too big of a heart for nature.... Check your local animal shelter & see if there is a local rescue for rabbits or if they have some to get rid of.... you might be able to get some for free ... I heard of others getting it that way.... might be the way to go...you can also check Craigslist in farm & garden section as I have seen ads for people giving it away in some places....

• SamMC said thank you

#41 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 11, 2013 - 11:06 PM

Wow, I bought 50 feed bags thinking that was all I needed for the rabbit compost.... I was wrong.... 50 bags done filled from the blue bin but the trailer is still holding around 20 or more bags worth of compost.... might just bulk sell that. I saved myself a good years worth & more will be ready in a couple months....got myself knee high still in poo...lol... I posted an ad on Craigslist to sell off the 50 bags... will see what happens... I will begin the sifting tomorrow for the 13 x 20 bed provided that the dirt is not saturated from last nights rain... need to get it done & planted... Hope the compost sells good... I was planning on building a nice fence that is hog proof... got too much invested & the $500 + I can make from the poo compost will pay for the fence around the garden...Hope it all works out for the good...I also got one corn row watering system up & running... i decided to use 180* lawn sprinkler heads @ 42 inches apart so they overlap just right so all areas in that box is watered without going over the box to the ground. I am keeping the pvc fittings in the line dry fit & not glued so it can be used as a changeable water line that can be configured like tinker toys for any configuration requiring that kind of watering & so far no leaks & holds tight. I made the drip system to be moveable so if I want to change a location of a crop, I just move the water line with it to another bed... unions sure make things easier.GEDC1521.JPG GEDC1522.JPG

Edited by howard H, April 11, 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#42 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Back to the raised beds... I finally finished the big squash raised bed. Took me 2 days to go through the dirt & add 4 inches of compost all through it & turned it in with the tiller... One half is 13 x 8 & the other is 13 x 12 ..... I have black zucchini & crook neck squash in the 8 x 13 bed..... the larger bed will be the 12 x 13... it will be planted with cantaloupe. I can control where the vines go will be a plus in this box... pictures show before & after completion of the bed... the divider board is removable in case I want to use the whole bed....irrigation next

GEDC1429.JPG GEDC1535.JPG

Edited by howard H, April 15, 2013 - 08:19 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#43 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Your beds look great! I wish I was close enough for some of those rabbit droppings. I've had some locals offer it for free but none have actually come through yet.

#44 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 11:44 PM

I finished the raised bed boxes & have them all planted with irrigation to all of it... The system is working great....I top dressed the rows with 1 inch of composted rabbit poo... I also started the sink project... I decided to use the sink on a slider system so it can be slid in & out ... It will be mounted to 2 6ft 3/4 inch galvanized pipes. They will be held in place with u clamps that will be mounted onto the tank frame & allow the sink to be slid in & out like a drawer... I already have water to the faucet... as you can see in the pictures of it in & out.. I mocked it up using t posts to figure it out... It works great & will save plenty of space for other garden junk... I have not had too many problems with grass in the beds... I find them & right away remove the complete source... Not much left to get out... the sifter did a great job but a few items got by... all in all, the garden is growing at a very fast rate in the raised beds. along the side & part of the front of the shed will be a raised bed along the dirt top along side of the shed... This will be my herb box with irrigation... there will also be a smaller box where the dirt pile is... just have to move the dirt & build the box... working on the landscaping now... then a new hog proof fence.........................................................................................................................................................GEDC1606.JPG GEDC1620.JPG GEDC1623.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC1574.JPG

Edited by howard H, April 22, 2013 - 11:50 PM.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and twostep have said thanks

#45 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 11:55 PM

Howard, I really like the way your doing your garden. It looks great. :thumbs:

Do you think it's too late to plant potatoes here?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garden, gardening, box gardening, square foot gardening