• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#16 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• Member No: 8472
  • 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 07:18 AM

Here in this picture is my idea for the green house... pvc every 4 ft over the 2 boxes all the way down the 2 rows. This will give me close to 300 square feet of growing space in 2 boxes... unlike the boxes usually built by people... just set on the ground... mine are secured deep in the ground every 8 ft with 2x4 stakes. That keeps them secure to the ground & also keeps them at the angles needed for the water system & the hill they are set on as they need to be level... The frame will be trussed etc for strength & support for hanging plants etc too... not sure of all of it but strength is key to this type of structure. The pvc arch shows the size of the green house.... I will be building the frame next month & will post pictures of it later... I can also build short 4 ft tall green houses over each box with roll up plastic covers that are kind of built the same way but not over 2 boxes but just one box.

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC1391.JPG

• Alc and twostep have said thanks

#17 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 07:55 AM

These pictures are of my garden spot without boxes... everything grew very well & were grown in just rows... the planter boxes will change all of that & I can double my crops using boxes without all the erosion  & can rotate crops during the year & grow more different crops all year long... I get a huge bumper crop every year & want to increase it... using the boxes & irrigation system plus green houses, I will do very well... I can also grow my own plant starts & sell them at the local farmers markets in the early spring... These pictures were taken in mid June last year... corn, 4 rows heirloom purple hull peas, sugar snap peas, okra, better boy, early girl & grape tomato's, green, yellow & red peppers,sweet banana peppers, cayenne peppers, jalapeno peppers, big red beets... I use the cayenne peppers for bug control... put them in a blender with water & little vegetable oil... blend very well, strain with cheese cloth & put liquid in spray bottle & spray solution over the plants... hey it works well to keep the bugs away....  Question... how or what do I use to get rid of the worm that always seems to get in my ears of corn ?... hate it & if I plan on selling corn, I need to get rid of that problem.... I always keep my garden clean of weeds & grass but it became way too much work to stay on it... with the boxes clean of all that, I will let the grass grow between the boxes & stop soil erosion & when it rains, will stop the 6 inch deep mud that I had to wade through to get around the crops between the rows... mow it like the lawn... Since the garden is built on a hill, I needed to take control of water run off... took 3 gardens to get it right... all water runs down & to a drain ditch at the front of the rows, this water runs off to the huge pond at the back pasture... I also grew in another spot, cucumbers, cantaloupe, butternut squash, mini watermelons, black & green zucchini,straight neck & crookneck & acorn squash... all did very well... I also tried Brussel sprouts... they grew ok but was just too hot  & never produced sprouts... more of a fall crop...I was experimenting the first year to see what worked... The picture of the produce grown is just a sample of what I harvested as there was a whole lot more....

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC0350.JPG
  • GEDC0349.JPG
  • GEDC0471.JPG

Edited by howard H, March 21, 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#18 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 12:22 PM

First off, great looking garden. I hope that mine looks have as good in a few years. Also Great looking produce there, makes me hungry!

... mow it like the lawn...

Sorry if I missed it but how will you keep the grass clipings out of the garden? bagger on your mower? After all of that work sifting the dirt I would hate for your mower to be throwing weed and grass seed back in to the beds.

#19 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 02:42 PM

First off, great looking garden. I hope that mine looks have as good in a few years. Also Great looking produce there, makes me hungry!

Sorry if I missed it but how will you keep the grass clipings out of the garden? bagger on your mower? After all of that work sifting the dirt I would hate for your mower to be throwing weed and grass seed back in to the beds.

I have a 22 inch Toro mulching mower without the bag or discharge. I am going to plant real good grass seed in between the rows & keep it down so it will never get the chance to seed. Grass clippings if any get in the beds won't hurt it....compost...lol ... I know that weeds & other growing materials will end up in the beds...inevitable but, they will be easily controllable when they pop up in the beds... I could not sift it all out but 90% is pretty good... As we gardeners all know, there is no real solution to weeds & grass without poisons that I don't use... just how mother nature flows & we learn to work around it the best we can.  My biggest problem will be the blasted fire ants... they seem to invade everything. going to try cedar wood chips in the beds & see if that will control them... if that fails I will try neem oil solution. I heard it works great for insect control...

#20 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 12:54 PM

A few years back I decided to go with the boxes, the native soil was just far to hard to work with due to the volume of rocks it contained,, I used a soil mix that contains topsoil, coarse sand, peat, and compost.  I to would like to get an irrigation set up just havent spent the time to do it yet.  I have also thought about the plastic tunnels but other than extending the season or for cold crops Im far enough north that you wont be growing "tender" stuff without heat but for me this method sure beats growing in the native rock pit.

• howard H said thank you

#21 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 03:16 PM

A few years back I decided to go with the boxes, the native soil was just far to hard to work with due to the volume of rocks it contained,, I used a soil mix that contains topsoil, coarse sand, peat, and compost.  I to would like to get an irrigation set up just havent spent the time to do it yet.  I have also thought about the plastic tunnels but other than extending the season or for cold crops Im far enough north that you wont be growing "tender" stuff without heat but for me this method sure beats growing in the native rock pit.

Here, I don't have rock problems just native grasses & horrible weeds. I hand sifted a coupe years ago a row without the boxes & the row stayed relatively clean of weeds & grass for most of the season .Then I decided to build the sifter... due to just sandy soil, it sifted fast & good... I was raised in Washington state where rock was a big problem for gardening... The sifter would have been great for that area... We use to build a big angled screener to get rid of the rocks.The irrigation system for just the pipe & fittings, valves, unions cost me around $150 for the whole thing to get done & is going to be well worth it as now they predict a drought in out area again... got the water part, just hope that it is not too hot....

#22 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 03:39 PM

Well another advantge to having the hoops would be to use them to support "shade cloth" ,,,,, even here I have noticed that the grass grows noticably better under the picnic table or trampoline once our heat sets in,, I imagine it would be the same case for veggies,,,, with water and sun control you would have a nice setup.

#23 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Well another advantge to having the hoops would be to use them to support "shade cloth" ,,,,, even here I have noticed that the grass grows noticably better under the picnic table or trampoline once our heat sets in,, I imagine it would be the same case for veggies,,,, with water and sun control you would have a nice setup.

All the hoops will be tied into one another with supports in between. I can also add a water line over each center of the boxes for water from above... misters will work great & I can use the support pipes for the water... There is so many options once the green house frame is built for early spring green house to hot summer shade & I also have heat for frosty nights as well as fans for each end for good cooling air flow. I should have the frame together by next month. It will be mounted to the boxes as well as secured by turnbuckle cable system to support it in high winds, lord knows the winds can really tear things up here during a storm. I can also wire the thing up for florescent grow lights if needed. way too many options to explore...

#24 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 09:45 AM

Very nice set up for a garden.. 

#25 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 07:57 PM

My garden update... So far things have gone very well with the raised beds. I managed to get the peppers in & irrigation drip installed per plant. I planted ... green peppers, yellow peppers, red peppers, big bertha peppers, sweet banana peppers & purple sweet peppers.... 15 plants 16 inches between each other ... using the staggered method I was able to put 15 per box... 2 8ft sections full of peppers...I usually plant my peppers 16 inches apart & they did very well...... the next picture is of the massive amount of rabbit poo I got yesterday.... huge amount piled on a 16ft trailer... got some sold as soon as I can sift it... yes, going to use the sifter to separate it, powder & nugget & bag it up in feed bags... planting a lot of tomato's tomorrow... beef stake, better boy, roma & celebrity... 12 plants in a 37 ft raised bed. The rest will be in the row with the peppers... The irrigation system is working out great just with the gravity feed from the tank.... Going to build my own cages that are very strong unlike the store bought ones...

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC1454.JPG
  • GEDC1485.JPG

Edited by howard H, April 07, 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#26 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Great looking beds. Are the trip lines store bought units or did you make them? can you adjust the drip or just the ball valve on the feed line.

#27 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Great looking beds. Are the trip lines store bought units or did you make them? can you adjust the drip or just the ball valve on the feed line.

I bought a big spool of line & t's, etc for my lines... I just punctured the line where the plant is & let it drip. I do have several types of drip emitter tips to use but for the peppers, it was easier to just prick the line... the water is fed from both ends of each box connected to the pvc line & the drip lines are all connected together in series. I may do the same for the tomato's since it is working very well. drip emitters are pretty expensive... I will make a loop with line & go around the tomato plant stock since they need plenty of water & prick the line around the plant. My onions are doing very well though I have not finished setting up the irrigation emitters for that yet... I can control the water flow with the valve but the pressure is not excessive with gravity feed & will not need to be controlled & the lines drip just fine... If I connect to city water with the system, then I will have to use the valves to control pressure.

Edited by howard H, April 07, 2013 - 08:59 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#28 howard H OFFLINE  

howard H

• 115 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Monday s garden update:

I got the tomato's planted... 24 plants... 12 in one 37ft bed & the other 12 in the last half of the row with peppers....I went every 3 tomato plants & set the drip lines for every 3 plants x 4... i connected the line to the main line in 2 places for full pressure from both ends of the line... I decided since I will need higher water flow from the drip system later when the plants get bigger, I used adjustable emitters so I can set the drip to what ever is needed for water flow... I found time to fix the 2 corn rows now that the rain has finally settled & packed the loose dirt in the rows... added some dirt, stir softly & replaced missing or low developed plants as I went along.... After I get the rabbit poo sifted & broke down to a semi powder, I will be adding a 1 inch layer on top of all the rows for compost fertilizer & to help keep the dirt moist at all times specially when it is mid summer & hot & dry....I am still figuring out my best course of handling the drip system for the corn rows.. I might just add 180* lawn sprinklers to the main line & that will cover the whole row....I still have okra, beets, crook neck & straight neck squash, black zuccini & cantaloupe to get in after I get the 13 x 20 bed done... this will begin tomorrow.... so far the irrigation system & raised beds have been going very well...

Attached Thumbnails

• GEDC1490.JPG
  • GEDC1493.JPG
  • GEDC1494.JPG
  • GEDC1498.JPG
  • GEDC1499.JPG
  • GEDC1500.JPG
  • GEDC1502.JPG
  • GEDC1503.JPG
  • GEDC1504.JPG

• Alc, CRFarnsworth and twostep have said thanks

#29 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 05:54 AM

Boy having your beds set for drip iragation will save so much time , everytime I read this thread make me want to put together one for my garden , will you use it for fertilizing too ? I have thought if I had a drip system I might be able to do that by mixing a 55gl drum and others with just water .

• howard H and twostep have said thanks

#30 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 09, 2013 - 09:57 AM

Howard Said;

Question... how or what do I use to get rid of the worm that always seems to get in my ears of corn ?... hate it & if I plan on selling corn, I need to get rid of that problem.

We used vegetable oil on the silk just as the silk was starting to show, it keeps them off the corn. That's how the worms get into the shuck, going down the silk.

• Alc and howard H have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: garden, gardening, box gardening, square foot gardening