23 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 04:32 PM

This just followed me home, and I'm pretty happy about it.  It's a Gard'n Mast'r JR tractor with the original sickle mower.  I got it for a good price, so it just had to come home with me.  The engine serial number says it's a Nov. 1953.  Needs all new tires (current rubber just isn't doing it for me) and paint (part of it was painted at some point and is now peeling), and a few other odds and ends, but all in all it isn't hacked up or modified (nothing that can't be just unbolted).  Seems like it's in overall decent condition.  It was running a few years ago when parked.  Dodge transmission and rear end, and a Briggs model 23 crank start motor.  Motor seems to have sufficient compression.  Brakes work well.  Something tells me I'm going to be a big, big fan of Gard'n Mast'r tractors.... 

All of the other attachments were thrown into the deal too.  The front mount rotary mower with the Tec engine (originally it had a Clinton motor on it, but he replaced it) on it is interesting.  While it was used on this tractor, I don't think it's Gard'n Mast'r, but I could be wrong.  Any ideas what it came off of?  Second, the front blade worked well he said, but I'm pretty sure it was from something else, modified to fit this tractor.  The plow and the cultivator are from some sort of walk behinds.  Mostly, I just want to know if anyone recognizes any of these other attachments and can tell me what they're off of.

This brings me to my next point: if anyone comes across a Gard'n Mast'r and doesn't want it themselves, please let me know.  I don't mean to be greedy, but I'd love to have another one, particularly an SR!  I could work out a trade or cash offer.

Lastly, does anyone know where I can download a manual for this machine and also where I might be able to get decals for it?

Thanks, thanks and thanks!

DSCN2937.JPG

DSCN2938.JPG

DSCN2939.JPG

DSCN2940.JPG

DSCN2942.JPG

DSCN2943.JPG

DSCN2945.JPG

Edited by jtrojek, March 15, 2013 - 04:33 PM.

• bread320i, Alc, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 04:42 PM

The plow looks like a modified Bolens Ride a matic plow. Awesome find.

Edited by bread320i, March 15, 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#3 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,645 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Looks like you made a great score with that tractor and toys.  :thumbs:  Hope you find the other one too.   Rick

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 04:50 PM

That's a great looking Gard'n mast'r! Welcome to the club :thumbs: These Gt's are getting hard to come by and the SR is even harder to find.

I will do some digging for you. I may have a manual for this one. The Decals I will try and find the guy I got mine from, He had them reproduced and sold me a set of 3 back last year. But I am not sure if he had anymore sets left? He had them made but has since sold his Sr which was a model GW (Wisconsin engine).

One thing I do know is info and parts are hard to come by for these machines! I have been searching for info on these for a year now and nothing much ever comes up. But when things do come up it is usually for the JR, the Sr I have hardly found anything.

I'll post back with anything I find. Good luck with her!

#5 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 04:55 PM

That's a great looking Gard'n mast'r! Welcome to the club :thumbs: These Gt's are getting hard to come by and the SR is even harder to find.

I will do some digging for you. I may have a manual for this one. The Decals I will try and find the guy I got mine from, He had them reproduced and sold me a set of 3 back last year. But I am not sure if he had anymore sets left? He had them made but has since sold his Sr which was a model GW (Wisconsin engine).

One thing I do know is info and parts are hard to come by for these machines! I have been searching for info on these for a year now and nothing much ever comes up. But when things do come up it is usually for the JR, the Sr I have hardly found anything.

I'll post back with anything I find. Good luck with her!

Thanks.  I greatly appreciate it.  Someday I'll find a SR for a reasonable price.  I am good at finding things, so sooner or later I'll find one ....

#6 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:04 PM

I just found the Instruction and parts manual. It even has the sickle bar in it, along with other attachments.I'll work on getting it scanned and uploaded to our site in the manuals section. This was a copy that I bought from someone and some of the pictures are a little dark. But It is still a good manual, This is also the only manual I have ever found for any of these machines. I am still searching for a manual for my SR.

#7 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:08 PM

I just found the Instruction and parts manual. It even has the sickle bar in it, along with other attachments.I'll work on getting it scanned and uploaded to our site in the manuals section. This was a copy that I bought from someone and some of the pictures are a little dark. But It is still a good manual, This is also the only manual I have ever found for any of these machines. I am still searching for a manual for my SR.

Thanks!!!  I greatly appreciate it!  That will be very useful.  Do you know where the serial number is on the tractor?  Is it somehwere on the frame rail? 

Also, I'm quite sure the plow and the cultivator are from a Waterloo walk behind tractor, which is very common in my area.  I tracked down some pictures and they match pretty well.  Still don't know about the front blade, and the rotary mower has me really stumped. 

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:27 PM

I am not sure were the serial number is on a JR. As far as the attachments. The Sickle bar looks to be the only one made by Gard'n Mast'r. I am working on scanning now. I'm not thinking the clearest atm. I haven't had much sleep the last couple days as my dad has been in the Hospital. But seeing another Gard'n Mast'r has given me a second (or third, or fourth LOL) wind. :D

#9 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:28 PM

... Also, I'm quite sure the plow and the cultivator are from a Waterloo walk behind tractor, which is very common in my area.  ...

Yes, it is for a Model 40 Waterloo, but you are missing the hitch assembly.  The cultivator for the Model 15  was smaller & had a solid hitch.  By the way, thanks for reminding me I had these two items.  I'd forgotten about them!

Model 40 with cultivator 1.JPG Model 40 cultivator rear view.JPG Model 40 cultivator hitch 1.JPG Model 40 hitch 2.JPG

Model 15 cultivator.JPG Model 15 hitch.JPG

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, March 15, 2013 - 05:39 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Wow, that is a really neat looking GT.

My wife saw it and said, "you know, I need one with a mowing machine"!

#11 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:10 PM

http://gardentractor...d-parts-manual/

Ok hope this helps, here is a link to the manual I uploaded to our site. Some pages are a little crooked but that is how I got them, sorry.

• DougT and jtrojek have said thanks

#12 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:37 PM

http://gardentractor...d-parts-manual/

Ok hope this helps, here is a link to the manual I uploaded to our site. Some pages are a little crooked but that is how I got them, sorry.

Thank you so much!!!  That's a great thing to have.  That'll help me in a whole lot of ways.  The sickle bar mower I have is definitely correct for the tractor.

• chris m said thank you

#13 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • 1,021 Thanks
  • 550 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:40 PM

I am not sure were the serial number is on a JR. As far as the attachments. The Sickle bar looks to be the only one made by Gard'n Mast'r. I am working on scanning now. I'm not thinking the clearest atm. I haven't had much sleep the last couple days as my dad has been in the Hospital. But seeing another Gard'n Mast'r has given me a second (or third, or fourth LOL) wind. :D

Sorry to hear about your father.  I hope and pray everything will be alright.

• chris m said thank you

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Nice find Jamie.

You're going to need a bigger shop there soon. When I was there in July, it was getting tight.

And you've been shopping since. Maybe you need to unload that Panzer. :smilewink:

#15 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:19 PM

I said it before and I'll say it again.

How Where do you find this stuff? :thumbs: