Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jacobsen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Has anybody ever owned one of these? I am starting my own lawnmowing business this summer and I need a large mower. I am thinking they probably drink gas like crazy.

http://syracuse.crai...3674134331.html

#2 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 11:29 AM

I haven't owned or used that particular model mower but we use a similar newer model at my work. It mist likely isn't a zero turn but the rear steering does give it a tight turning radius. Personally I think this machine would be too large for a small lawn care business and it would be suited more for large areas to mow plus you will need a decent sized trailer to haul it. It maybe be harder to get parts for too because it is designed more for the turf industry so small repair shops may not be able to get some of the parts, so you may need to go to a dealer that sells and services this type of equipment.

Also before you buy the machine look it over good, check how many hours are on it, look for any loose or worn out parts and maybe check for parts availability for the engine. Make sure all the hydraulics work good to because they can be expensive to repair.

#3 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Probably no harder on gas than the Kohler vtwin. 1 gallon per hour with those.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 11:47 AM

Whatever you use, have atleast two of each with you. Something always breaks. Having the spare machines will mean that you can finish your work while the sun is shining. Do your repairs at night and weekends. This means you will need to have several spares at home in addition to the couple on the trailer. Doing proper maintenance will reduce the number of breakdowns. My brother has been in the business for almost 50 years. He even has 2 spare trucks. You have to be prepared to use the good weather. Good Luck, Rick

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Member No: 8002
  • 11,705 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Jacobsen T436G, 4 cylinder Continental 36 hp, Eaton hydro, two speed axle, with a hydraulic pump mounted to the engine via belt under the radiator to power attachments. The mowing deck is powered by a hydraulic motor, and has a belt to power the blades. Pretty simple set up. Unit weighs well over a 1,000 pounds. Mower deck is 83" wide, not easy to fit on most trailers. If I remember right, it's 13' long with the deck hooked up. Bearings and fittings have to found elsewhere, Jacobsen no longer supports these units. (thanks, Textron) Proprietary items must be scrounged off Ebay or a donor machine.

I have it's diesel twin, the Kubota-powered T422D. I love it.

Kayla's Pics 8-2012 044.jpg Kayla's Pics 8-2012 041.jpg

Kayla's Pics 8-2012 045.jpg

I personally would not consider one of these to use for a lawn service, too big. The deck is too big for an average lawn. You will get scalping and high spots. Also, no parts support. You could get left high and dry.

Pretty good price, though. Cheaper than mine was when I got mine last summer.

#6 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 12:45 PM

Has anybody ever owned one of these? I am starting my own lawnmowing business this summer and I need a large mower. I am thinking they probably drink gas like crazy.

http://syracuse.crai...3674134331.html

No No No, that is not the machine you need for residential lawn service. You need to go on ebay and search "used commercial lawn mowers" for idea's and cost.  I would start with a hydro walk-behind $1000-$1500, but depending on what you plan to do a push mower could also work.

P.S. Now is time to get some customers, not during the season, google how to start a lawn service, more to it than it looks!

But, it can work, had a friend who did this for college money, two guys, truck, little bit of equipment, five years later, big business 50+ employees, year 10 even bigger, tree crews, Irrigation crews, snow removal, etc, year 14 sold out to national company, became a millionaire @ 38, until his wife found out about an affair he had w/ office manger year 15 divorced and broke. :D

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Member No: 8002
  • 11,705 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Actually, if that was close, I'd be tempted to scoop it up. Lots of good parts there, or donor parts for a project. Two speed axle, Eaton 11 hydro, hydraulic lift and cylinder, hydraulic pump, power steering, etc....

#8 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the LOADS of info, guys. I didn't realize they were quite that big. I have a 2 1/2 acre lawn lined up to mow and I kind of need a larger mower but not quite that big. The smaller ones I am planning to do with the Cub Cadet's.

#9 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 03:17 PM

No No No, that is not the machine you need for residential lawn service. You need to go on ebay and search "used commercial lawn mowers" for idea's and cost.  I would start with a hydro walk-behind $1000-$1500, but depending on what you plan to do a push mower could also work.

P.S. Now is time to get some customers, not during the season, google how to start a lawn service, more to it than it looks!

But, it can work, had a friend who did this for college money, two guys, truck, little bit of equipment, five years later, big business 50+ employees, year 10 even bigger, tree crews, Irrigation crews, snow removal, etc, year 14 sold out to national company, became a millionaire @ 38, until his wife found out about an affair he had w/ office manger year 15 divorced and broke. :D

I didn't realize I could become a millionaire :rolling:  I plan on going larger than a pushmower. I have my own truck and
I will probably get a small trailer. I know how much work it will be; I have mowed my parents 3 acres of lawn with my Cub Cadets for the past 5 years.