• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WCS OFFLINE  

WCS
  • Member No: 30380
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 12:58 PM

I have a GT17 that is giving me fits. It runs fine but dies instantly when the PTO switch is pulled. I took the deck off and made sure everything is turning freely. It acts like a kill switch is being thrown. The seat switch is disabled so that shouldn't be the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance.

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,532 Thanks
  • 3,920 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Welcome to the forums WCS! 

I would check your wiring first. It could possibly be a wire grounding out. Another thing could be the clutch is seized. I had that happen on the rear pto clutch. Does the engine pull down like it is under load and stall or just die like it was turned off? What model number tractor are you working on? 

• MH81 said thank you

#3 WCS OFFLINE  

WCS
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 06:17 PM

My Ariens is a model 931019 with a Kohler KT17s engine. Though it only has a front electric clutch it has both a front and rear pull switch. I checked out the electric clutch and it moves freely and the magnets click when current is supplied. The engine doesn't bog down when the switch is pulled, instead it just dies as if the ignition is turned off.

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,532 Thanks
  • 3,920 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Well, that blows out my theories of what it could be. Did it work well in the past and just start this or is this a new to you tractor?  From what I could see in the wiring diagram for the 931019. It could be a short in the interlock circuit. That is just a wild guess. Do you have a manual with the wiring diagrams for your tractor? That could be a big help if you have to trace wires. It could be a possibility that if it was rewired at all a circuit might be wrong.

#5 WCS OFFLINE  

WCS
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:26 PM

It's an older tractor that was given to me by a relative because it wouldn't start. I eventually traced it down to the magnets inside the flywheel that had come loose and it ran fine once I reattached them. It was mowing great when it just suddenly died last September while mowing. Once the PTO switch is pushed in it starts right back up. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I enjoy trying to figure these things out- along with being too cheap to hire a real expert.

I have all the manuals and diagrams and think it could be related to the interlock you mentioned. The mower doesn't have the upgraded module i see mentioned in the literature and I hesitate to spent $120 or so in case that isn't the problem. Is it possible to bypass the interlock to see if that is the problem?

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,532 Thanks
  • 3,920 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:45 PM

It's an older tractor that was given to me by a relative because it wouldn't start. I eventually traced it down to the magnets inside the flywheel that had come loose and it ran fine once I reattached them. It was mowing great when it just suddenly died last September while mowing. Once the PTO switch is pushed in it starts right back up. I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I enjoy trying to figure these things out- along with being too cheap to hire a real expert.

I have all the manuals and diagrams and think it could be related to the interlock you mentioned. The mower doesn't have the upgraded module i see mentioned in the literature and I hesitate to spent $120 or so in case that isn't the problem. Is it possible to bypass the interlock to see if that is the problem?

I think it is possible. It would be basicly taking it back to the older style circuits. I can't say offhand how to do it.

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:00 PM

I think there is also a switch that will kill the engine if the tractor thinks it is in reverse with the mower deck engaged. Think bad backup switch on a car and its stuck "on"

I would get a buddy to help run levers, seat switches, clutch, etc so you can spend time with the ohm meter on the wiring harness with the diagrams in hand.

Oh, and :welcome: to GTTalk, hope you find someone with a better idea of what's wrong.

#8 WCS OFFLINE  

WCS
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the idea and the welcome- I've got to watch my grandkids for a couple of days before i can get back to the tractor to check that out.

#9 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 85 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:45 AM

There's a few things it could be. check the plug on the ignition switch for loose connectors, double check all your plugs/connectors in there behind the dash including the rear pto switch

Don't blame me if you burn something up but If you have the old transistor circuit board, looking at the wiring diagram if you were to make up 2 jumper wires with 1/4" male terminals on both ends.

unplug the connector from the board, jumper the 3rd connector (yellow wire to pto switch) to the 4th connector (red wire from ignition switch) this will supply power to the pto switch all the time, unless your battery is dead ;)

also have to jumper the 1st connector (yellow wire from seat switch) to the 2nd connector (black wire to ingition switch) so you can get it started.

#10 1eleven OFFLINE  

1eleven

• Member No: 5299
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 04:41 PM

WCS,  You say the seat switch is disabled.   By that do you mean it's unplug'd,  or does it have a jumper wire in place of the switch?  Could you post the model number of the tractor so we know which electrical wiring diagrams to look at. There is the tractor service manual available at     apache.ariens.com/manuals/00127A.pdf   Hope this helps.

#11 1eleven OFFLINE  

1eleven

• Member No: 5299
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 01:52 PM

Woops , I see you do have your model number posted.must be a  brain fart or crs on my part.

#12 marty-mn OFFLINE  

marty-mn
  • Member No: 32460
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 07:27 PM

When I had a problem with my GT 17 quitting with no reason I studied the interlock wiring and bypassed the safety circuits and when I was sure it was a problem with the interlock  I bought a new one. that was over 15 years ago with no more problems. later the dealer charged more than list price but today you have E-bay. Good luck

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pto switch, shutdown