Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What's An Ac 914 Hyrdo With Attachments Worth?

allis chalmers simplicity snowblower tiller cab

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 snoman159 OFFLINE  

snoman159
  • Member No: 21861
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'm looking at buying an Allis Chalmers 914 hydro.  I was really hoping to get one of the bigger 900 series tractors with the hydraulic lift but it's more important to get the tiller and snowblower for now.  I can always fab up an electric lift later.  I'm wondering what a fair value on this tractor is.  The owner says he is the 2nd owner and has recently had the center gearbox rebuilt at a cost of around $1000.  He has a 42" snowblower, tiller, tire chains, and an all steel cab with doors on both sides.  He also said he has the 'heat houser'.  I didn't ask about this but I'm assuming it is just some shielding to direct engine heat into the cab?

From the pictures it looks like everything is in good shape.  I've never seen an all steel cab before so I'm wondering what is a fair price to offer the guy.  Judging by what the same or similar tractors are priced at around here I'm figuring the tractor is worth $500-600, and the snowblower and tiller are worth $200-300 each.  It's about a 7 hour drive one way for me so I want to try to negotiate a price before I commit to the drive. 

3Ma3I73N55Gf5Ed5Jfd2ob85d670017e61f04.jpg 3Gb3H63lc5G75F45Mcd2of45effd65bc817a6.jpg 3G43M53Ie5L65Gd5Hdd2o8d7651cbb9521f0d.jpg 3G13Kd3Hd5Nf5L85Gcd2oed457bb2d4cf198c.jpg 3E73K53Mc5Ia5M15Jad2o3165ee6af7d01879.jpg

• larryd said thank you

#2 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hardtop vinyls sided cabs in good shape can go well over $100.  Was there no price requested at all?  I would think from a sellers point of view if all is in good shape maybe upwards of $1500-2000, as a buyer however you would like to get it for less.  I paid about $900 for my 919H with just a deck, but I bought it from a dealer(trade-in) and they had serviced it since it was new, original one owner.  Good luck they are tanks! :D

• larryd said thank you

#3 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:33 PM

I would think about $900 to a $1000 .

My 917 twin hydro I paid $300 with a deck 5yrs ago and had to send the bevel gear box off to be rebuilt . It was advertised on a AC tractor sit , it was out east somewhere. It only cost $250 for a rebuilt exchange.

larryd

Edited by larryd, March 14, 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#4 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:54 PM

I've seen all steel cabs go for several hundred by themselves. I can't imagine giving a unit like that up...nothing made today could compete for less than ~$12,000. I'll jump in with Michiganmobileman and guess $1500-2000. But it really boils down to how bad you want it and how bad the current owner wants or doesn't want it.

Good luck and please let us know

• Michiganmobileman, skunkhome, larryd and 1 other said thanks

#5 snoman159 OFFLINE  

snoman159
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:35 PM

@Michiganmobileman - He gave me a price but I was looking for unbiased opinions so opted not to post it.

The cab was the really big unknown for me, and I figured the all steel cab would be worth some change since it isn't likely to fall apart over the years.  I'm surprised how many good condition vinyl ones there are out there, but of course none are for sale.  Are there many of these steel cabs available?  Are they aftermarket or original AC?

He hasn't used the tiller in a couple of years but the snowblower has been used this winter and he said everything is in working order.  I was looking at the paint on both units and its surprising how good it looks for original paint after 30-something years.  I figured the leading edge on the snowblower auger would have all of the paint worn off. 

Is there anything a person should be worried about or look for on these units?  I was hoping to get this and a 919H with vinyl cab, snowblower, and wheel weights that was selling cheap a couple hours away from this one (and conveniently on my way) but that one has since been sold.

• Michiganmobileman and larryd have said thanks

#6 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:51 PM

If the bevel gear box has been rebuilt (or maybe replaced at that price) your most of the way there, the rest is mostly indestructible.  The Kohler single cylinders are great engines.   Thats the first cab I have seen that was steel, but dont know if it is factory or not.  

edit

Oh and I would think the Heat Houser is shown in picture #4 it covers the openings on the side that the cab does not.

Edited by Michiganmobileman, March 14, 2013 - 08:54 PM.

• larryd and snoman159 have said thanks

#7 snoman159 OFFLINE  

snoman159
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, I was kind of wondering if that leather apron was the 'heat houser.'  You can't tell from the pictures but I wonder if there is an opening to use the manual lift with the cab on.  It shouldn't really matter if I buy it and get that electric lift working. What usually goes wrong with the bevel gearbox?  I'm going to guess that mostly seals and bearings are the typical rebuild parts.  Something built in that day and age was probably overbuilt for anything that you could put it through.  Just my observation of the old farm equipment I grew up around working on with my dad.

• larryd said thank you

#8 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 10:22 PM

My bevel gear box the teeth in the gears were worn quite a bit . Bearings and shafts were good.

larryd

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 10:34 PM

I would say your prices are in the ballpark. If you want it I hope you can get it.

I'd offer him a thousand bucks after I asked him what he was hoping to get for it if he says more.

Edited by Cvans, March 14, 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#10 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:08 AM

I think most of the BGB failures are due to lack of proper lube.  Its easy to forget about, but also real easy to check and maintain.

#11 snoman159 OFFLINE  

snoman159
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Well I think that is probably about all I'm going to get as far as price estimates so I'll disclose the asking price.  The owner is looking for $2500 which I was thinking was high at first glance.  I was figuring $1500-1800 myself with the steel cab as the big unknown.  It doesn't appear anyone really has much for info on them.  I poked around on the Simple Tractors forum a bit and couldn't find any info either.  It seems the good condition vinyl-sided cabs are worth $200-400 from what I have managed to find.  Oh well...hopefully it'll still be there in a couple of weeks when/if I get a chance to run and look at it.  Thanks for the help everyone!

#12 velle01 OFFLINE  

velle01
  • Member No: 16329
  • 11 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 08:41 PM

That is a Cab built by Cozy Cab. The cab alone ,before winter, I have seen advertised between $400-$700. Cozy Cab built cabs for many different tractors. (JD, Bolens,etc) The area with the leather/cloth area liftes up to gain access to the engine compartment. The area is usually plexiglass, glass, metal formed to the hood.

The different attachments that are included in a sale dont always equal the asking price. A snow blower by itself may sell for one price, but when its included is usually less. Just my $.02.

So here is a pic of my Cozy Cab. Cause we all like pics.

Cozy Cab 16.jpg

#13 snoman159 OFFLINE  

snoman159
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Well someone beat me to it.  Tractor sold for $2000 cash.  I was going down to look this weekend and it sold last weekend.  Oh well...still looking.  I found a Wheel Horse D200 with plenty of attachments but still need something smaller and a bit more agile for cutting the grass.  So the hunt continues...

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 26, 2013 - 08:08 PM

still need something smaller and a bit more agile for cutting the grass.

Make sure you check the turning radius of anything your considering, Even among the older Simplicity models there's a world of difference.

Good luck with your search.

• snoman159 said thank you

#15 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Too bad you missed it. This is the time of year when you start seeing more tractors for sale. Good luck, something will come your way.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: allis chalmers, simplicity, snowblower, tiller, cab