• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 05:32 PM

Today in welding class one student was not wearing his glasses, no matter how many times, the teacher, other students, and I told him to put them on. Well, he ended up taking a piece of 7018 slag about 1/4" across in the eye. Wearing safety glasses is very important, as long as you take care of them and dont let them get scratched, you wont be able to tell you are even wearing them! Please, I don't want to read that a member got something stuck in their eye!

EDIT: The student who took the slag in the eye ended up being ok, but it obviously hurt more then I can imagine!

Edited by Ryan313, March 14, 2013 - 05:33 PM.

• Gtractor, hamman, gopher and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I have had stuff in my eye and it is never fun. Steel that rusts and has to be drilled out is bad news. If you think something is in your eye do not wait, take it in. Tomorrow will be worse if it is in there.

Kurtee

• larryd said thank you

#3 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 06:21 PM

Today in welding class one student was not wearing his glasses, no matter how many times, the teacher, other students, and I told him to put them on.

That is his own fault then. I would of thought he would have taken the teachers advice. Some of us have to learn the hard way though. Glad to here he will be alright.

• larryd said thank you

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 06:30 PM

The same goes for welding shield, I seem lots on men look right at the arc and later there eyes pay for it. The messge is 'Don't look at the arc without proper protection'

Dick

• backwoods, oldedeeres, larryd and 1 other said thanks

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Thanks Ryan! Safety 1st can't be overstated.

• larryd said thank you

#6 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:47 PM

No 1 on agenda is saftey on anything you do .

larryd

• backwoods and tractorgarden'sbabe have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Very good reminder Ryan!  I know I have caught myself getting ready to do something and then thinking where are my safety glasses.  

• tractorgarden'sbabe said thank you

#8 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 11:20 PM

Just because we start with two doesn't mean we should risk them. Thanks for the wake-up call.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:58 AM

Some people who wear glasses think that they will protect them. It's tempting not to wear safety glasses over them. Normal glasses don't offer the full protection you need. I have a shield as well as safety glasses and use them with my glasses. Just working under a tractor can get you in trouble if some dirt or debris falls off and gets by the side or top of your glasses. 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#10 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:08 AM

on the job we have to wear them but when i work in my shop thats the first thing i grab is my safety glasses .i also wear a face shield if im doing any grinding . you only have two eyes .   

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:23 AM

If that young man has been told repeatedly to wear his glasses and he doesn't, he should be removed from the program. He is setting a bad example and setting the school up for a legal case. 

#12 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Some people who wear glasses think that they will protect them. It's tempting not to wear safety glasses over them. Normal glasses don't offer the full protection you need. I have a shield as well as safety glasses and use them with my glasses. Just working under a tractor can get you in trouble if some dirt or debris falls off and gets by the side or top of your glasses. 

Plain truth!  I got a piece of trimmer line in behind my Rx glasses one day.  I couldn't possibly see how it could have come in from around the side like that... but it did.  Face shield for me when trimming ever since.

#13 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I have had stuff in my eye and it is never fun. Steel that rusts and has to be drilled out is bad news. If you think something is in your eye do not wait, take it in. Tomorrow will be worse if it is in there.

Kurtee

No joke, I know first hand about having my eye drilled from a piece of steel.  Only in my case it went up under the safety glasses and got me.  Also had my injury in january at work.  Eye protection is SOOOOO important and is probably one of the things that is most overlooked or forgotten about when working on things.

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 07:18 PM

Today I was sitting in the shop, thinking about a problem with a tractor, when I looked up and saw a dark spot on the ceiling. (the walls and ceiling all have 1/2 foam insulation board with the white side out)  I decided to check it out and when I climbed up there I discovered it was a piece of a cutting wheel off the rotary tool.  I remember a few weeks back I was using the rotary tool to trim something and the cutting wheel broke, which happens.  That piece was buried in the foam about a 1/4 inch and I thought I sure am glad I was wearing my safety glasses that day.  I would have never thought that a piece would travel that far and bury it's self that deep.

Just another reminder to wear Safety glasses, and it's not a bad idea to wear them anytime you are in the shop.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Eye protection all the time isn't a bad thing.  Had a flake of hot rust come off my Massey 1130 going down the road to a field.  It burned deep into my eye, but I didn't realize it till 3 days later searing in pain.  Hospital said they got it all, but the next day I had to go to an eye doc for more drilling it out.  

• HDWildBill said thank you