• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 05:26 PM

The biggest problem with my HF sandblaster is that it was way to hard to see inside. Most probably would have stuck a battery operated light to the inside, but I took a different approach.

The other day, I bought this $6 desk lamp from Wall Mart. For $8 I could have gotten one with a metal shade (this one is plastic), but this one would fit my needs better.

9DBEEC4A-EFFC-4E0A-8868-65504AF5BDA0-283

The first thing I did was remove the base, I don't need it.

B2B2FEE0-3915-4835-8C60-27F98129FF15-283

I used my reciprocating saw to cut a hole in the top of the cabinet that the light could go into. I could have done a better job with a jigsaw; although, other then a few spots it is accurate to an 1/8 of an inch.

D1AA644F-EDB5-4E13-86B0-C125B2DAC837-283

The hole is 1/2" smaller in diameter then the largest part of the lamp, this lets the lamp seat into the hole nicely. I put the light in, and I have to use string to hold it in place. I then put caulk around the edge; I put quite a bit, as it is the only thing that holds the lamp in place.

B3DB8A5B-88F7-4F09-92B9-F1B5A5727F58-283

Here is a picture with the light off.

8E0DB0E8-219E-4694-9C34-98E7F97EB5FC-283

The first time I turned the light on, I almost fell to the floor!

383624D1-A57B-4421-B9F1-7BBB7EB59246-283

I wanted to share, as everybody with this blaster says it is too dark. Hopefully this will spark some ideas for other members!

• DH1, hamman, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 06:23 PM

There is more than one way to skin a cat isn't there. Looks like you did a nice job, you may have a problem with the sand or whatever you use on the bulb itself. I looked at the 1st picture where you turned it on and I though, so what where is the light and then the next answered it and it does give you a good amount of light.

Dick

#3 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:00 PM

Good idea :thumbs:

I have a similar cabinet with the same problem, no light.

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:24 PM

Ryan have you used the cabinet with the light yet?  I'm also curious to see how well the bulb holds up to blasting.  Great Idea!

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Thanks! I would be lying if I said I was not curios about the buld. But, I think it will hold up fine; although, I am sure I will have to wipe it of every now and then.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Your bulb will do fine Ryan.  My larger HF cabinet came with a FL light with a plastic cover, but the ballast soon played out.  I simply placed a surface mount bulb socket on the upper back of the cabinet & it does just fine.  The first std incadescent bulb lasted at least 3 years and just burned out from normal use....the sand never got through the glass of the bulb.  I just put in the 2nd bulb a few weeks ago.

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Well......that light will be ate up pretty quick I bet. I have bigger cabinet, but have a spotlight (outdoor type with heavy glass) and metal fixtures way up in corners. Still get shadows with bigger parts, but most part it is good. the bulbs get frostier real quick, sometimes you need to dust them off. Use the little gaskets around the bulb base, or sand gets back into socket badly. And one final item, if you bump them when putting in a part, they will BLOW right now if on. Try diff brands too, some go fast, others last. Think it's the Chinese ones that blow quick. Even GE ones are Chinese now.

#8 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:27 PM

If you fabricate a lens to cover the light, then cover the lens with the poly tear-offs, all other problems--frosting, sand in socket etc, are solved. Just be certain your lens/tear offs can handle the heat and bulbs will last a while. 

Tear offs are the same as those used for the main glass and I buy 5 /$9.95 at tractor supply.

#9 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:34 PM

If the Bulb breaks while blasting, you could easily have an explosive situation on your hands real quick. Sparks from the element can cause the dust to engulf into flames. Enclosed cabinet can explode.
I'd personally use a "dust tite" fixture. Or even an explosion type fixture. But I'm sure they would cost more then the entire cabinet did.

Back when I started full time doing electrical work, the guy I worked for often did body and paint shops, and I saw first hand results from fumes and dust causing fires. The work we did was insurance company required changes and sometimes complete rewires from fires caused by improper wiring and fixtures.

#10 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,638 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 09:28 PM

The blast cabinet I have just uses 2 CFL bulbs out in the open. I questioned that when it was dropped off at the shop, but I guess if it came from Snap-On that way it must work. Haven't had any issuses with them yet.

#11 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 08:38 AM

If the Bulb breaks while blasting, you could easily have an explosive situation on your hands real quick. Sparks from the element can cause the dust to engulf into flames. Enclosed cabinet can explode.
I'd personally use a "dust tite" fixture. Or even an explosion type fixture. But I'm sure they would cost more then the entire cabinet did.

+1

I could easily see something like that happening.
Please at least use a rough service bulb. They're designed to withstand being dropped so they might at least stand a chance if the spray nozzle were to accidentally turn toward the light fixture.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 08:57 AM

I have some fixtures that have a screw on glass bulb protector, so I may just change it out.  I should have thought about the dust explosion factor.

Since Ryan's bulb is recessed, He could simply glue a protective piece of plexiglass or similar over the hold on the inside of the cabinet.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:05 AM

Oh boy, maybe I should have just stick on light for the inside! Where would I get a piece of plexiglass?

#14 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:12 AM

Where would I get a piece of plexiglass?

Any hardware store should have small pieces, even Lowes & Home Depot.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#15 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 12:09 PM

Ryan,
Great idea you have there !!! 
"American Ingenuity" at its best.

Just a thought, Olcowhands idea of plexiglass on the inside is good but just don't glue it in place
With the light afixed to the outside and the plexiglass glued on the inside you would have no way to change the bulb if it did blow.
Drill a few small holes in the plexiglass and attach with small sheetmetal screws or machine nuts and bolts for access later.
Again great job !!!!

• HDWildBill said thank you