• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • Member No: 27881
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 12:34 PM

Ok, got her running!! Does the valves on this motor have a slight "tick"?

#17 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 12:49 PM

The starter needs "tapped" on to get her to turn over. The starter has like a drill looking post coming out the front of the starter. But again it needs to "tapped" on with hammer to get it to cycle. Is it not getting enough amps? Or is something else shot?

#18 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 05:26 PM

The drill post looking part is what the stater gear rides on and it what makes the gear engage the flywheel when you want to start the tractor. I can't say for sure on why you have to tap it but maye you have a loose connection on the iside or maybe the starter is just worn out.

#19 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 05:56 PM

yea, its weird. ill turn key and nothing, tap the starter and it attempts to turn the flywheel, but it onlt did it once,now it just tries but doesnt seem to have enough power to turn the motor over, I charged the battery and it is at full now. will pull the starter and bench test it tomorrow. any suggestions?

#20 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 05:57 PM

you can bench test the starter all day and not figure it out, so first i would when you take it off remove the cover on the back of the starter opposite end from starter gear check the brushes and the two ground wires that go on the studs that hold the cover on these wires may not be getting proper contact for a good ground some of these are under the washer on the stud and if the starter was rebuilt at one time they may not have put them under that stud washer so the quick fix to this is very small lockwashers that just slide over the stud , (i did this with very suprising results ) you put the ground terminals on then the lockwashers then tighten the cover . it cured my problem on my HH160. but you may find that the brushes are worn, burnt, or damaged and need replaced which you can still get brush kits and rebuild it yourself , all the kit is is a fiber plate with the brushes attached to it and 2 wires that get soldered to the power side and the 2 ground wires that go on the studs somewhat simple but can be a :mad2:  to do . I had the same problem for 2 years and finally figured out the whole thing was the 2 ground wires not getting good contact now it starts like new :thumbs:

#21 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Thanks bolex. I messaged bob and he has the rebuild kit. Im gonna pull it tomorrow and see whats going on. Ill chk in soon. Thanks

#22 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Before you pull the starter, jump the power straight to the starter terminal from the battery. I am having electrical problems with mine right now, haven't had time to work on it but had the same problem. Tried changing the switch and nothing, tried another solenoid and nothing. I jumped it form the battery to the starter and it fired right up and ran.

• Newpaws493 and Huskyfan have said thanks

#23 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Thanks bolex. I messaged bob and he has the rebuild kit. Im gonna pull it tomorrow and see whats going on. Ill chk in soon. Thanks
  • Huskyfan said thank you

#24 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Ill try that tomorrow sub 12, thanks

#25 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Let us know if it works, were is your solenoid located? The wiring on mine is a mess and I don't think it is mounted in the right place.

#26 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Mine is bolted on the left wall (if sitting on tractor) between the starter and battery. Can see most of it when hood is open

#27 mcorso22 OFFLINE  

mcorso22
  • 34 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 11:20 AM

Got side tracked with a ton of other things, got the starter off and putting in the new brushes this weekend

#28 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 05:50 PM

Ouch don't tap on it any more.You'll knock the magnets loose in the inside of it.Sounds like the brushes are hanging up a bit.They may be worn down.