108 replies to this topic

#46 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 02:41 PM

Does your school have any kind over outline to follow along when you do one of these restoration projects?  I would like to see whatever they give you at the start and also what they use to judge the projects at the end. I am trying to start up 4H restoration projects here in my Co.4H.

Keep up the GREAT work !! :thumbs:

I have to make a power point, write a few page essay, and have at least 30 hours into my project. Good luck with your 4H projects.

Keep at it, those senior projects can get hectic... Biggest thing you need to know about most senior projects that you get to choose the project yourself is that as long as you get the project operational then you can BS your way through the presentation, which you definitely want to be prepared for.... an practice it a couple times before the big day. I do have to say that (not to steal your thunder) your Sears restoration is coming together quite well, and with a high quality of work, I mean you scrubbed the tires in a wash basin even! And if you are already on to the engine than you are well over half way, if not three quarters. And based on the speed you are working, I would estimate mid April completion at the latest, but who knows, you may just bust butt just to finish it by next month to prove me wrong! lol

I figured that they can get out of hand, I'm leaving the lift mounts off and not restoring any of my implements for it because of time and money, which I don't have a ton of. I still need to write my paper and make my power point, I figured I would need to do some BSing some were during it. At the rate I'm going, I should have it done by the end of the month, at least that is what I planned on, supposed to get pounded with snow tomorrow and Monday.

• Texas Deere and Horse and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#47 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 03:15 PM

Today was warm enough and I got more primer so, I got to priming more stuff. By the end of today, I will be done priming everything and be ready to finish the final coats. I finished priming the rims, foot board, tool box, cables, engine pulley, and am almost done with the sear and hood. I finally got around to finishing sanding the hood and covering the decals on the bottom of the hood so I can prime it. I Need to put some body filler on the center top part of the seat before I can finish priming it.  So far, I put a final coat on the spindles, main  steering gear, the right foot board, and the dash. Now I just need to get more white paint so I can finish the hood and rims. I got the broken bolt out of the vr mount and got it bolted up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 102_0738.JPG
  • 102_0741.JPG
  • 102_0742.JPG
  • 102_0743.JPG
  • 102_0745.JPG
  • 102_0748.JPG
  • 102_0749.JPG
  • 102_0750.JPG
  • 102_0751.JPG
  • 102_0752.JPG

• MH81 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#48 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 23, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Made more progress! She doesn't have a heart yet but she stands on her own. It wasn't easy getting the back tires bolted on, a lot of heavy lifting even with two four by fours under it. Got the front tie rods put on tonight too. Still trying to find a rubber bushing so I wont have to cut the column on my parts tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• 102_0764.JPG
  • 102_0765.JPG
  • 102_0766.JPG
  • 102_0767.JPG
  • 102_0768.JPG
  • 102_0771.JPG

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#49 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Looking good! You're moving right along! Maybe you can go back over the thread when you do the write up to jog the memory on things?

• suburban 12 said thank you

#50 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:16 AM

Not sure how I missed this thread??? I love your senior project!  Looks like its coming together very nicely :thumbs:

Its good to hear that you said you have a summer job, that gives us a heads up on the kind of young man you are :thumbs:

Keep up the good work and keep us up to date on your progress as well as sharing your grade after completion (please).

Oh heck while I am at it:

I love GTtalk and the fact that it gives us all a place to exhibit our talents and enjoy others talents and knowledge.

I love that Kathy sleeps in on the weekends and I can catch up on threads I have missed. :rocker2:  :dancingbanana:

• tinbender7 and suburban 12 have said thanks

#51 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:26 AM

I sponsored/mentored a senior last year for his project. Makes ya feel good to help a teen that has a good attitude and some goals. That's a rare thing these days.

• Michiganmobileman and suburban 12 have said thanks

#52 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:20 AM

You really got some shop time in yesterday. :thumbs:

Had to smile that you tucked it in for the nite.

#53 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:31 AM

You really got some shop time in yesterday. :thumbs:

Had to smile that you tucked it in for the nite.

I will paint stuff at just about any temperature, as long as it isn't raining or snowing. Other wise I will paint it and check it every so often to see if I can turn it yet and get the other side. And a clean project tractor is a happy project tractor.

• MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#54 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:28 AM

...a clean project tractor is a happy project tractor.

I know, was just teasing. With the effort you are putting in, there is no reason to cut corners or take chances.
Besides, tucking one in for the nite isnt weird... There are 3 members here that read their GT's stories every nite.

#55 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:35 AM

I know, was just teasing. With the effort you are putting in, there is no reason to cut corners or take chances.
Besides, tucking one in for the nite isnt weird... There are 3 members here that read their GT's stories every nite.

So, I sing lullabys to mine at night.  :loosing_it:

• MH81 and suburban 12 have said thanks

#56 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 11:02 AM

I unfortunately have cut a few corners on things that didn't really need torn down (the tranny and the engine), they just got the heavy dirt cleaned off and painted. I don't go quite as far as reading them stories but I do try to keep them clean and wash them every once in a wile, need to wash a couple and put sheets on them next.

I'm going to cut the column on the parts tractor today. I might even get the engine in today, how hard is it to replace the bushing in the back of the start/gen? There is a pretty big hole worn in the one I have.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#57 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 11:22 AM

Do you mean the end casting actually has a hole thru it?

The bushing isn't bad, it's the brushes that can be a pita. I suggest removing the pulley before you get the case apart, as a couple I've had to slide the armature thru the front casting to get everything to line up.

#58 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 12:57 PM

Do you mean the end casting actually has a hole thru it?

The bushing isn't bad, it's the brushes that can be a pita. I suggest removing the pulley before you get the case apart, as a couple I've had to slide the armature thru the front casting to get everything to line up.

No, the bushing in side the casting that the armature rides on in the back. I have the pulley off and am painting it, The key is stuck in the armature though. I was looking at another casting and the bushing was worn through in the same place, is this just a common place for the bushing to ware through?

#59 MF10Ryan OFFLINE  

MF10Ryan

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 7917
  • 244 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 06:29 PM

Dad wanted me to link to our experiences with my starter today.

http://gardentractor...se/#entry295834

Good Luck

Edited by MF10Ryan, March 24, 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#60 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 07:57 PM

The only problem is that there isn't a bearing in my starter. I have helped my brother take a few of these apart before, you want hard, try a newer starter that has four brushes to hold. Other than the starter, I made some major progress on putting it back together. I got the engine bolted on, the grill put together, and shroud put on. Now it is starting to look like a tractor, with and without the sheet. Tomorrow is going to be the main drive link, belt pulley and dust screen, and who knows what else.

Attached Thumbnails

• 102_0785.JPG
  • 102_0786.JPG
  • 102_0787.JPG
  • 102_0788.JPG
  • 102_0789.JPG
  • 102_0791.JPG
  • 102_0792.JPG