#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 07:58 PM

I first met Dale while in the chat room one night, and even though I didn't know much about the man, there was just something I liked about him. We chatted back and forth numerous times after that, mostly small talk, but it almost seemed like we had a special bond with each other. Most times I wouldn't even use the chat room unless I saw Dale was there waiting. Even if I did go into the chat room without Dale, rest assured, it wouldn't be long until he came in.

Dale was there for me when I lost a close friend last year, and he PM'd me almost every night asking how things were going, and how was I holding up. He is a great guy to talk to and he is always there for you to unload your day on. I tried to return the favor of being there for him when he lost his Brother a while back, but I just never felt like I could give as much as Dale does.

I remember one night, Dale asked me for my phone number, as he wanted to call some night just to talk about tractors, and to see what makes me tick. I recall giving him my number, but never did I think he would follow through and call me. Well, he did. I went to bed one night around 9:30 pm, due to having a long hard day, and was sleeping real good, when the phone rang at 1:15 am in the morning. My wife rolled over and answered the phone by saying hello, still half a sleep, and then said who? After she found out his name, she handed me the phone and said it's for you, I think he said Jail Bags? Well, I took the phone call downstairs so she could sleep, and sure enough, it was Dale. He never gave a thought of me being on East Coast Time. It was only after 11:00 pm at his place. Anyway, we must have talked for at least and hour and a half, and even though I needed to be at work at 4:30 am, it was the best conversation I think I ever had.

Dale also liked to make homemade fudge. He PM'd me asking for my mailing address, as he had something he wanted to send. Again, I gave him what he wanted, and then waited. About a week later, I received a box full of various flavors of fudge. The man knows the way to my heart! We ate the fudge and enjoyed every piece. After I told him Thank You for it, he asked if I noticed the texturing to the top of the fudge, and after telling him I did, he told me he did the texturing with his false teeth. They fell out and made a dent, so he figured he'd use them to texture the rest of the fudge.

I miss our friend and Brother, and I miss talking to him. This site just won't be the same without him posting or logging on. I look for him every night I log in, and when I don't see him on, I pray.

Take Care Dale, and I wish you the best! If you have to leave us and head for the pearly gates, then you save a seat for me buddy! We'll have a lot of catching up to do. At least then we'll be able to talk face-to-face! :angel:

Edited by MH81, March 13, 2013 - 10:29 PM.

• NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, grand and 40 others have said thanks

#2 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for your great post Troy. Knowing you personally but unfortunately knowing Dale only through his posts, I'm sure you two made a good connection. We can only pray and wish Dale and his family well.

• NUTNDUN, KennyP, tractorgarden and 5 others have said thanks

#3 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:11 PM

I wanted to start this as a thread for members to view back on times spent with Dale, either chatting in the chat room with him or maybe phone conversations and personal messages you had with him. I hope guys will join in, and tell others of things that Dale said or did that touched your heart. He touched a lot of guys here, and I know he will be deeply missed.

• NUTNDUN, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Never having had the pleasure to chat with him or you john (if it's ok to shorten you name) I thank you for posting the story about Dale. From your story of your interactions I could see that he is a down to earth person who anyone would be thrilled and proud to call a friend. sometimes it is the small things people don't say that speak the loudest. If you can read between the lines you can see a real kinship for a man you never met but would be right at home with had you met him. Dale seems to be a friend to all that crossed his path. Those type of people are very hard to find. If someone is reading these posts to Dale, ( and I hope there is) I want him to know how much he has meant to this forum and the people gathered here. As I said I never crossed paths with him, however I surly wish I had. Dale we (all of us) hope the best for you and are praying for you. May God grant you peace and strength as well as you family at home and the family you have here. May God Bless you. Roger. 

• NUTNDUN, MH81, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#5 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:57 PM

I had debated how or what my 1000th post would be. It became very clear as I wanted it to be important and meaningfull. I dedicate my 1000th post in honor of Dale Staggs. I don't really know Dale, but through his posts I could see his character. People like Dale are what makes Garden Tractor Talk Forum Great.

imagesCA7WYVMC.jpg

In honor of Dale Staggs!

Edited by anderson classic tractors, March 13, 2013 - 09:13 PM.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, MH81 and 14 others have said thanks

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 09:00 PM

I had debated how or what my 1000 post would be. It became very clear as I wanted it to be important and meaningfull. I dedicate my 1000 post in honor of Dale Staggs. I don't really know Dale, but through his posts I could see his character. People like Dale are what makes Garden Tractor Talk Forum Great.

attachicon.gifimagesCA7WYVMC.jpg

In honor of Dale Staggs!

Not a better way to dedicate a post!  You missed out on getting to know him....he's a great guy!

• NUTNDUN, MH81, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#7 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 10:02 PM

I met our dear Dale like Troy,in the chat room. We would chat for hours picking back and forth about who has the worst spelling! Our buddy Dale had some doozys.....but so did I. Tractors,food,driving truck and just life in general, it was some of the best conversations that we ever had. He would always crack me up,(Cheyrl's done hit me over the head with a pan!) There was quite a few of us that were regulars in chat that were quite good at interpreting (Daleese) as when the pain meds would kick in and the spelling got worse LOL . I am very thankful for the good times we shared,and looking forward to meeting him again when that time comes. I will continue my prayers for you and Cheryl,Dale.May our Lord give you comfort and eternal peace. I find myself looking at peoples threads,which have a similar avatar as Dale's.I along with the rest of the GTtalk family miss having him post here,more than words can explain.
God bless, Shawn
  • NUTNDUN, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 10:42 PM

I too met Dale in the Chat room. He was one of the first people here to make me feel really welcome. That's saying something as everyone was so friendly.

We would joke back and forth, he has a way of making you feel laughing at yourself is the best medicine in the world for a weary day.

Back then, my schedule seemed to be later in the evening. Dale, Bill56, and myself would often find ourselves on together by ourselves or with others. We would trade recipes or swap tall tales or brag about how brave we are doing stuff without our wives permission... But we'd only talk that way only after the women were in bed and wouldn't catch us lying. I wish those evening chats hadn't become rarer, but as family life changed my schedule, they did.

Dale, I hope you and your family get some good news, but if your name gets called, like Troy said, save a seat... We have some catching up to do. By the looks of things, it'll need to be a big table for us all to sit around.
Oh, & don't worry none, I've heard spelling don't count there either :smilewink:
May God Bless and keep you my friend. I look forward to chatting with you again.
  • NUTNDUN, Alc, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 12:40 AM

I myself met Dale in the chat room early on in my stay here. And I was a chat room regular back then, and I miss the old days of chat. Dale has a way of lifting your spirits when you need them lifted (or didn't know you did lol). I still laugh when I recall some of the stories he told about his false leg. My favorite was the prank he played on a kid when he asked the kid to help get his shoe off. Poor kid didn't realize Dale had a false leg, or that it had been rigged to come off with the shoe LOL. I do admit that it was always funny to make fun of all the spelling errors made in the chat room, and boy was it a lot of them. I think it would have been faster to point out who's spelled any word correctly, but then we wouldn't have had that to laugh at lol. Dale is a good guy and I did speak to him on the phone at one time, but it wasn't too long (Short call to me is 30 minutes LOL) since his meds kicked in at some point. I don't think Dale takes life all that serious, because he never (and probably won't) believe that he can't do something. I remember that he was fixing the roof on his shed and one of the neighbors had yelled at him because they believed he shouldn't be on a roof. Dale believes that what he does with less limbs... is no one else's business. I really can't ever recall a time when Dale got mad at anyone, only the situation, and even then, he never got mad, he started laughing. I think Dale has life figured out. He never has owned much, but he always has a way of making friends, and I tell you, even if you never talked to Dale, he considers you a friend. 

I do wish I had kept up with Dale better after I started working full time last year. But like Alan, my life shifted, and instead of being up way late on the internet (chat) I was getting up early to spend 8 hours a day drafting on a computer. And that changed how I computed, I couldn't stand the computer in the evenings..... and that.... was discouraging...

Hope to talk to Dale sometime in the near future, cause it has been way too long since out last chat.

• NUTNDUN, MH81, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Dale is a gentleman.  We are loosing his kind: the coming generation would do well to sit under Dale's example and learn what it means to be a true man.

Dale is a man of character.  He has learned what it means to be content in what ever state he is in.  That's huge in this day, and it says a lot. 

Dale, I am praying for you and your family during this time. 

Ben W.

• NUTNDUN, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 05:18 PM

Dale has always been great to talk to. I know I never had the chance to have the conversations most others have had the privilege of. One of the things that I remember is Dale was always one of the first ones to welcome to the site when they would post in the intro forum. With Dale not being up on all of the acronyms, he would use the :wtf: smiley when welcoming new members. After a while though we figured someone would have to let him know what it truly meant. I ended up being the one to let him know and we had such a great laugh out of it that my cheeks hurt and I couldn't talk. Dale was always a great sport about everything.

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#12 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 06:18 PM

I think I talked to him once. He is a very good man. Hope is with him and his family. Not much more to say that hasn't been said.

Edited by JDGuy445, March 14, 2013 - 06:19 PM.

• MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#13 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:44 PM

I have never had the opportunity to chat with Dale, but I can tell you that from the way other members of the board talk about him he is someone special. If you want to find out what kind of person a man is you have to find out who his friends are.

I wish I had the opportunity to get to know him.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#14 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 09:05 PM

I once bemoaned that I was always having to wait for the money I needed for some GT project, part, tool or something ( I really don't remember just now what it was) But Dale had the solution !! Wives that work put money IN the checkbook!!

I think everybody laughed themselves silly...Dale could pull those one liners out of thin air and make your day. I've met people that could do that in person, but Dale can do it thru cyber-space, a gifted man...I have missed his wit and have prayed for his healing and strength for Cheryl

• grand and johndeereelfman have said thanks