8 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 06:17 PM

My Ford 1500 according to the manual is rated for a 48 inch box blade..
But on the next line is rated for a 65 inch Gannon box blade.
Never been around a Gannon, is there something about it that makes it pull easier?

Actually i am waffling between a box blade and a land plane?
My tractor is at like 48 inches wide and am thinking about going 54 inches wide.
I downloaded the plans Texas Deere & horse posted in the manuals section.
still not sure which to build my gut says the land plane would be better for my 1/4 mile lane.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 13, 2013 - 06:20 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 06:37 PM

JD, if you are looking at keeping the lane up, a land plane may be the best solution. I think the reasoning on the Gannon is that it doesn't produce as much drag due to there isn't room for that much soil/gravel as a box blade could generate.

• JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,790 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'll bite. What is a land plane?  I've got a 36" "earthcavator" for my AC Big Ten and plan to use it on my driveway. I hope to have the tractor running soon. I misplaced the starter/generator when I had the engine out. Old Timers strikes again.

Someone did a thread about a center mount grader blade a month ago. It may be just what you need. For a 48" wide tractor I'd make it 66" wide to allow for angling. Good Luck, Rick

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'll bite. What is a land plane?  I've got a 36" "earthcavator" for my AC Big Ten and plan to use it on my driveway. I hope to have the tractor running soon. I misplaced the starter/generator when I had the engine out. Old Timers strikes again.

Someone did a thread about a center mount grader blade a month ago. It may be just what you need. For a 48" wide tractor I'd make it 66" wide to allow for angling. Good Luck, Rick

That is a reasonable question, one I might have asked myself had I not been reserchin g methods of drive maintainence.

I will try to post a picture. I like the concept, because instead of dragging the loose material for long distances, it builds up to the height of the blade and then smothly flows over the top evenly spreading the gravel and material.

gs15_main.jpg?itok=PbxnmLDR

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 13, 2013 - 08:20 PM.

• KennyP, sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:20 PM

Where and when I grew up, the mantra for keeping up our dirt (no gravel) roads was deep ditches and high crowns.  Once Dad got things figured out, we could drive much of the 3-4 miles of dirt road leading to our farm at speeds between 40 and 50 mph and not just with the dirt bikes.  The combination of high crown and deep ditch encouraged water to run off and help prevent the formation of ruts.  Anything that held water would lead to a pothole, and long term would lead to a rut.  We usually worked the road twice a year, once at the start of the rainy season and again near the end of the rainy season.

We used a Massey 240 during the later years, with a modified scraper blade.  The modifications were simple.  First, there was a single pivoting wheel on the rear of the blade which helped keep the blade from riding up and down too fast.  That was moved from a foot away from the blade to around 3 feet from the blade.  Second, the three point hook-up was extended, so the blade was now about 5-6 feet back from the tractor, and we no longer used the top link.  So now the blade rode along resting on the lift arms and the rear tire and it did a good job keeping the road level in the direction of travel, plus we could still angle the blade side to side to dig into the ditches and pull dirt back up to the crown.

• JD DANNELS, sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 09:14 PM

I don't know but, maybe Gannon's smallest was 65"? 48" seems rather small for a box blade on a 1500.

Joe

Edited by Rock farmer, March 13, 2013 - 09:15 PM.

• JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,790 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Its a type of box scraper, so is the earthcavator which was made by Gannon, I think.

gannon_small.jpg

fd32-3_small.jpg

Edited by boyscout862, March 13, 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,790 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 10:26 PM

The mid mount blade may be more versitile for your use. If you get the landplane, it looks like you could bolt a piece of channel across the back if you wanted to use it for pulling some gravel. There are 60" earthcavators around but because the sides are short they won't be as smooth as the landplane. Check this out

Edited by boyscout862, March 13, 2013 - 10:55 PM.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:01 AM

http://www.jakesimplements.com/  as I would expect from a Tech Savy 17yr old, this is a really well put together site.

And to throw another Gizmo into the mix. I stumbled onto this last night. It was invented by a 17 yr old , Patend Pending  and distributed on the West   Coast.  7091709_orig.png

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 14, 2013 - 08:16 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you