• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • Member No: 9183
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Does anyone have any information or know much about a Waterloo model 40? It has a single furrow plow and a siclke mower on the front. It has a Wisconsin ABN and I checked the serial no. and came up as January 1939 but  that just don't right. Any websites or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  Parry

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 07:38 PM

I have a model 40 frame.  What do you need to know about it?

Here is a site with some info: http://www.simplicit...com/page-8.html

• Humey222 said thank you

#3 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the link. I've looking on there and I do see that the rear plow is red but what about the sickle bar and the wheel on the front? Was the sickle bar and wheel red as well? Mine is all green. Do you know where i could find parts diagrams for it for when the time comes to take it apart to restore it? And how would i find out the proper year?  Thanks alot,  Parry

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 06:53 AM

So many questions, so few answers.  My model 40 is in the revival line up, but no where near the top.  I haven't even considered looking for parts lists reference materials. All I have is the frame & a plow, but the plow might be for a model 15.  Both are green.  Sorry.  

#5 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 02:31 PM

The counter weight looks like a Simplicity unit as do some of the other attachments,probably not the same just similar in appearance.I have the remains of that PTO unit on my L-1 and wished I could find the proper counter weight and two speed pulley.When did Waterloo stop building walk behinds anyone know ? Cheers Mike

#6 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,729 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Most of the Waterloo walk behinds we see here seem to be Simpicity knock-offs. I've never studied them but often wondered if they were the Canadian version? The Waterloo bronco rider wasn't lke anything Simplicity ever has ans I've seen a Waterloo walker that wasn't Simplicity either. Another one of those more questions than answers thing. Maybe Garry West will see this and chime in.

#7 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Thanks guys for the comments. Its a little info. I took a few pics of it last night but I can't seem to figure out or remember how to attach pics in my post otherwise i would.

#8 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:36 PM

We had two large department stores here in Canada that included very successful mail order divisions. These were very similar to Montgomery Ward. Eaton's sold Simplicity tractors and Simpson's (Sears) sold the Waterloo tractors. I have a 1952 Simpson's catalog page that shows 3 models of Waterloo tractor but for some reason I am not allowed to add the file to the manuals. It is a little chopped up because I found it in the Canadian government archives in some weird format that limited what I could do with it.

I got a turning plow and a set of discs with a Simplicity I could never identify. Turns out they are from a Waterloo tractor. I now own a Waterloo but don't know what model as have never brought it home yet. In another month and a half I should be able to get to the barn it is stored in.

Garry

#9 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Should add I have often thought the Waterloo tractor came from Waterloo Ontario - roughly between Windsor and Toronto. The area back in the day had many foundrys and a lot of machinery was manufactured there. I have a 30" bandsaw that came from there and the company went out of business in 1910.

Gilson were also in the area at the time and often wonder if they didn't influence the Waterloo tractor. Think they manufactured stoves.

Garry

#10 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Garry but its just kinda strange that there is very little about them. Waterloo, Ontario is only 2hrs away from me and I know the pretty good. This walk behind does say Waterloo, Ontario, Canada on the tag. and trying to find something out at Sears would be like trying to get pregnent!!

#11 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,729 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 10:09 PM

Thanks Garry but its just kinda strange that there is very little about them. Waterloo, Ontario is only 2hrs away from me and I know the pretty good. This walk behind does say Waterloo, Ontario, Canada on the tag. and trying to find something out at Sears would be like trying to get pregnent!!

Do they have a good Library that would have a local history section or a historical society that might have some info there?

#12 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 03:47 PM

In an effort to draw out more information, here are a couple of photos of the Waterloo Model 40 & Model 15.

Model 40

Model 40 pic 1.JPG Model 40 drive unit.JPG Model 40 drive unit from front.JPG Model 40 drive unit from front left.JPG Model 40 drive unit from rear.JPG Model 40 tires.JPG Model 40 name tag.JPG

Model 15 (with the wrong engine)

Model 15 pic 1.JPG Model 15 pic 2.JPG Model 15 pic 3.JPG Model 15 drive unit 1.JPG Model 15 drive unit 2.JPG Model 15 drive unit 3.JPG Model 15 name tag.JPG

Edit: See more pictures of both with a cultivator here.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, March 15, 2013 - 05:33 PM.

• DougT and Humey222 have said thanks

#13 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the pics and mine does look just like the model 40.

In an effort to draw out more information, here are a couple of photos of the Waterloo Model 40 & Model 15.

Model 40

attachicon.gifModel 40 pic 1.JPGattachicon.gifModel 40 drive unit.JPGattachicon.gifModel 40 drive unit from front.JPGattachicon.gifModel 40 drive unit from front left.JPGattachicon.gifModel 40 drive unit from rear.JPGattachicon.gifModel 40 tires.JPGattachicon.gifModel 40 name tag.JPG

Model 15 (with the wrong engine)

attachicon.gifModel 15 pic 1.JPGattachicon.gifModel 15 pic 2.JPGattachicon.gifModel 15 pic 3.JPGattachicon.gifModel 15 drive unit 1.JPGattachicon.gifModel 15 drive unit 2.JPGattachicon.gifModel 15 drive unit 3.JPGattachicon.gifModel 15 name tag.JPG

Edit: See more pictures of both with a cultivator here.

#14 Humey222 OFFLINE  

Humey222
  • 35 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:08 PM

Do they have a good Library that would have a local history section or a historical society that might have some info there?

I thought of that too and I think thats probobly the best route to go. I also want to go for a ride down to Windsor to the library and see how much I can find out about the Empire walk behinds.

#15 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Humey222, Did you find out any more info ? I just came across a Waterloo walker with attached one furrow plow but no rolling Coulter,it also had a spare plow in same condition. There was no motor but the tag wag was there. Bought a Model N Briggs a week ago so looks like I will have to update my avatar. Cheers Mike