• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:39 AM

does anyone home brew,distillor make wine ive been thinking about doing this for awhile an was wondering if anyone does this in there spare time and could offer some advice on this or shed some light on this for me. thanks

• SamMC said thank you

#2 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,444 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 10:00 AM

my father did it years before - especially the fruit vine was delicious.

It's a great idea, Greg. I'll speak w/ my wife, that may become a new hobby for her :beerchug:

Edited by jd.rasentrac, March 13, 2013 - 10:01 AM.

• SamMC said thank you

#3 Notsafe OFFLINE  

Notsafe
  • Member No: 28550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 10:18 AM

Ive been brewing for about 8-9 years, been doing wine for about 5years. I will tell you, its the best thing Ive ever done, I enjoy comming up with my own concoction, and being able to get what you want. you can start off with a basic kit and use extracts starting out, after you learn more you can step up to the full grain brewing that is more involved. Wine is even easier and you use the same equipment. you can also get the kits and you can control how you want it to taste.  BTW you can even make your own soda, vinagar, and some harder liquirs like saki and whiskey with the same equipment. Here are a few differnt kits you can buy, if you have your own pot and or ask buddies to save there pop off bottles then it can save money, check harbor frieght for a pot. other than that its just basic.   http://www.midwestsu...pment-kits.html

Edited by Notsafe, March 13, 2013 - 10:18 AM.

• Alc and SamMC have said thanks

#4 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 10:23 AM

We used to make home brew in a 6 gallon crock.  I don't remember the recipe, but remember we could buy a can of malt in the supermarket.  Water, malt, sugar, yeast, something else, maybe citrus and potatoes?  Maybe we used the citrus and potatoes when the neighbor was to run it through a little stove top distiller he had made in a welding shop.

My mom used to make dandelion blossem wine in a crock too.  That stuff was sweet and had body to it, almost like it was brandy or something.  There were times when you had to leave it in the cellar as it would get cloudy during a moon phase.  Then it would clear back up.    I can still remember that wonderful taste after over 30 years.

• Alc, KennyP and SamMC have said thanks

#5 Notsafe OFFLINE  

Notsafe
  • Member No: 28550
  • 49 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 10:32 AM

The basics behind beer is, getting the flavor and natural sugars from the grain (extract), add water, hops, cook, cool, add yeast, let it sit, bottle or keg, sit by the fire and enjoy.

Wine: crush grape or get grape juice, add yeast, let it set, add stabilizer, clearing agent, bottle and let it sit for a bit longer. enjoy with wife around the fire

• SamMC said thank you

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 10:59 AM

does anyone home brew,distillor make wine ive been thinking about doing this for awhile an was wondering if anyone does this in there spare time and could offer some advice on this or shed some light on this for me. thanks

I've done a bit of it all three as well as making mead. What exactly are you thinking about doing? They all three have some common and some very different practices...

• SamMC said thank you

#7 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 12:53 PM

my dad has been making wine and liqour for about 10 years now. I have been helping him for a long time. he wins compitions all the time

#8 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 04:07 PM

I make beer, if you can cook Spaghetti  you can make beer

• Toolpartzman and twostep have said thanks

#9 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 05:27 PM

We've been making "wine" & "beer" for a couple of years now.  Those are in quotes because the purists say wine can only come from grapes & beer can only come from grains.  How wrong they are!  I say it is more about alcohol content & fizz.  Wine has more alcohol, beer has more fizz. 

We make wine out of anything sweet.  We've done maple, rhubarb, black current, apple, pear, coffee, ice apple, and spiced pumpkin wines. We've done Concord & wild Mustang grape wines (you have got to try that last one!)  We've made burdock & dandelion beer. Now there's a summer time treat.

If you want to get started, or need great recipes, Jack Keller's website is the place you ought to be.

• backwoods said thank you

#10 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:11 PM

:beer: Hereabouts we do a lot of it. Pa makes some down by the creek in spring, when the revenuwers ain't around.

Edited by Toolpartzman, March 13, 2013 - 08:12 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, backwoods and 3 others have said thanks

#11 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 09:09 AM

well first im think in of trying to make some wine thinkin strawberry to see how that turns out if that turns out good im gonna move to beer then my own whiskey

#12 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 12:37 PM

Rule & Step #1:  Wash & sterilize everything!  Use the pink sani-brew stuff and do not skimp.  Mold, bacterial & wild yeast will ruin wine faster than a rock through a wood chipper.

• backwoods and twostep have said thanks

#13 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 08:46 AM

I'm very into craft beers but I haven't tried home brewing yet. I've got a neighbor who's seriously into it, though. He's really only one step away from going small time commercial with it. He even picked up a bourbon barrel and is barrel aging now. I just had a vanilla bourbon barrel aged brown ale from his first batch with the barrel. Tasty...
  • backwoods, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and twostep have said thanks

#14 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 11:45 AM

Brewing equipment can be like tractors, you start out with the basics but always want more. Started with a 3 gallon brewpot and 6 gallon fermenting buckets using concentrated malt extract. Now I do all grain, 15 gallon stainless brewpot, 15 gallon tun and fermenter. Like the Canadian said, cleanliness is key. Controlling fermentation temperature helps with getting good flavor without strange tastes.

In the US you can brew beer or wine for personal use, but in order to distill you have to get a rather expensive license. If you decide to distill it is best to keep it to yourself.

• backwoods and twostep have said thanks

#15 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 09:16 PM

well i dont need to distill here cause the one sroe i shop at now carries 190 proof everclear all i wanted to do was try my hand at making hot apple pie first to see how i can do at following directions heres a link to the recipe i used

http://www.moonshine...-pie-moonshine/

• SamMC said thank you