• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#46 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • Member No: 30322
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for everyones  advice and help I'm learning a lot, and Im fixing the machine right, I've also have been finding out that my Grandpa on the ranch just did what every it took to keep it running and mowing vice fixing it correctly even if he used bailing wire, I think that's the Depression and War Era thinking on saving assets and making due with what you had, but it worked for what he used it for.

#47 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Ok heres the pics:

Pic 1 the handle on the right side of the machine, what does it do? its it a speed variator appears to apply pressure to a pulley below, Not a parking brake correct?

Pic 2 The small lever on the right hand bottom side of the dash what is it? appears to connect to nothing (See Pic 4) of bottom linkage I just see a lever with teeth and a broken spring, don't see what it operates

Pic 3, Grandpa had belt for mower deck on this pulley not outboard one

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0037.JPG
  • IMG_0038.JPG
  • IMG_0039.JPG
  • IMG_0041.JPG

#48 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 12:40 PM

The lever in the first pic is the variator. Do not move it without the tractor running or you have to readjust it. The lever on the bottom right of the dash is the parking brake. Move it to the left side and it locks the pedal when you push it down. The outer pulley is a bonus! It it the drive pulley for the snow blower attachment. Also I think there was a 540 PTO attachment to run off it. On the engine the drive belt is on the inside pulley. The deck runs off the next one out which also will run to a center mule drive if you have the tiller for the rear. The outside bolt on pulley is for front attachments. Check John Deere parts website for the parking brake setup to see the broken spring. You can pull up parts diagrams. I think my setups are different cause I have the later dual pedal setups so I cant show you any accurate pics. Hope this helps.

Eric

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2
  • Navy Chief said thank you

#49 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Just an observation on the cables.

Edited by crittersf1, March 24, 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#50 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 01:11 PM

@ crtieerf1 I know no problem.

Does any one have a pic or diagram to show me how the parking brake lever is hooked up? I cant find it on that JD parts catalog.

@dropped82 what position is the varitor suppose to be all the way back?

Edited by Spain, March 24, 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#51 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 01:18 PM

The lever in the first pic is the variator. Do not move it without the tractor running or you have to readjust it. The lever on the bottom right of the dash is the parking brake. Move it to the left side and it locks the pedal when you push it down. The outer pulley is a bonus! It it the drive pulley for the snow blower attachment. Also I think there was a 540 PTO attachment to run off it. On the engine the drive belt is on the inside pulley. The deck runs off the next one out which also will run to a center mule drive if you have the tiller for the rear. The outside bolt on pulley is for front attachments. Check John Deere parts website for the parking brake setup to see the broken spring. You can pull up parts diagrams. I think my setups are different cause I have the later dual pedal setups so I cant show you any accurate pics. Hope this helps.

Eric

E is right on with this!  The outer pulley is a bonus.  

#52 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 01:37 PM

When you move the lever forward the tractor speeds up. Move the lever backwards it slows down. You can use it in any spot. With proper adjustment the tractor should move in all positions. I use mine while mowing to slow down or speed up when needed without slowing my attachment speeds. To adjust it set the handle in the 3rd spot back from the forward position. Disconnect the spark plug (so tractor will not start). Loosen the bolt (3/4" socket) on the right side of the dash maybe under a cap (pop it out). Crank the engine till the clutch pedal raises as high as it will (it will come up while cranking. Then center the bolt and tighten it. That's it.

Also I would recommend replacing both drive belts. Make sure to use John Deere belts only as they have a special angle cut to make the variator work properly.

Eric

• Trav1s and Navy Chief have said thanks

#53 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 03:02 PM

@ Eric thanks a lot good info, I will check the adjustment when I put it back together, it was at the forward position when I drove it the other day.

Do you have a pi cof how the parking break mechanism is suppose to be hooked up?

#54 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 05:55 PM

Unfortunately I think mine are different since my brake is on a different pedal. I have a tractor to be picked up in the next week or so that is the same style. I'm dismantling it for a build so if no one gets the pic by then I will post one. Glad I could help!

Eric

#55 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Eric Im in no hurry, do you sell 110 parts?

#56 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:05 PM

I need to get the '68 I have made arrangements to purchase so i can use it for reference... I wish I had a service manual to reference but don't.

#57 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:05 PM

What are you looking for? I don't really advertise but would be willing to part with some. I have quite a few parts. PM me.

Eric

Edited by dropped82, March 24, 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#58 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 24, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Heres that parking brake handle with the Spring, my Spring is broke I need another one, but I cant figure out where the square gear looking piece goes into its just hanging there

Attached Thumbnails

• $(KGrHqN,!p0E-vtkIWqzBPtuGfBe+w~~60_12.jpg

#59 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Saw a 1970's 110 on Ebay looked in great shape but said it did not run, $299, it was in Iowa 18 hour drive for me, I would have bought it just for the parts

#60 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 25, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Where in Iowa?  The 110 I need to pick up serial number is 100,46x.